| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anyone super amazing at writing cover letters and resumes?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:49 am 
Baking In The Flavor

It is not a skill I have. I'm looking for a new job but I don't really have a whole lot of skills. Most of my working experience has been coffee and massage. Neither of which I can make enough money in. So I've started looking into office administrator positions - now I can do all of the required tasks, but I have no idea how to word my mixed matched experience into something someone would actually want to hire. Plus I have never written a cover letter that has been anything other that pure shiitake. I don't know why but cover letter and resumes are just not something I'm good at

Post subject: Re: anyone super amazing at writing cover letters and resume
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:06 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I'd be happy to help you. I helped my brother last year and it was surprisingly easy for me to narrow stuff down and say what he wanted to say. PM me if you want :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:43 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hello!

I'm a good writer, and I think my resume is actually pretty great in terms of how it's written, but I'd like a second opinion. I really need a job, and there's one I really, really want that I know I could do once I got into it. I'd like to work in sales or a retail environment, though ideally I'd love an entry level at a company I could get behind and grow with, as well.
Also, cover letter. I can write a good one, but a second opinion, again, would be awesome.

Aaaaaaaaany takers?

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:52 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

MissD,
I'd be happy to look over your stuff and give you a second opinion. Send me a pm and I'll give you my email address since that would probably work best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:13 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'm not amazing or anything, but my best advice for a cover letter is to use it to quantify your experience in a way your resume might not convey. Example from my cover letter: "I have been sewing for over 8 years and have strong knowledge of garment construction, as well as 5 years of patternmaking experience."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:26 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Ahh, I'm sorta in the same boat--I have experience in domestic work/retail but would like to get an admin job.

Even though it seems like office jobs have nothing in common with massage or barista work, perhaps your past experience relates somehow to the jobs you are looking for.

Look over job wanted ads for positions you think you'd like. Notice what they are asking for in qualifications for a job candidate.

If they are looking for a "team player," do you think you used this skill working at a cafe?

If they want someone organized...Did you have to schedule and keep appointments for massage clients? Have you used organization skills in your own personal life?

A "multitasker" is a common quality employers ask for. Can you think of how you've used this skill in a fast-paced environment such as a cafe? (There is NO work environment more fast-paced than food service!).

Don't forget to emphasize any volunteer work you've done, odd jobs or gigs, and education. Put these in your resume because it demonstrates you're a well-rounded, interesting person.

Spellcheck EVERYTHING (obvs).

As far as cover letter, let a little bit of your personality show through, while keeping it formal. Start off explaining why you are writing, and summarize why you'd be a good match, or why you are interested in the job. Keep it brief is best.

As another job seeker I wish you good luck!