| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the twinkie diet
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/tw ... tml?hpt=T2

It's not surprising to me that he lost weight doing this. It's a little surprising that he had such success with his cholesterol markers though. The interesting part to me is this -

Quote:
To curb calories, he avoided meat, whole grains and fruits. Once he started adding meat into the diet four weeks ago, his cholesterol level increased.

I wonder if he also increased his total calories here or not. Because if he didn't, I wonder how much of the change in cholesterol markers was due to removing meat and how much was due to the drop in total calories.

Post subject: Re: the twinkie diet
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm more surprised by the fact that such a large increase in sugar consumption didn't effect him in a negative way; but then I don't think if he mentioned in the article how it made him feel (I kind of just scanned through it). Although being overweight can contribute to lots of different health problems, skinny people can get diabetes too.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:43 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'd have to look back at my books but I'm pretty sure cholesterol isn't much affected by sugar or calories, only fat (saturated fat, actually). I'm pretty sure he was eating less saturated fat during his "diet" than he was before. He is limited to 1,800 calories a day, that's only about 12 snack cakes at 2.5 grams saturated fat per cake (30 grams per day), that's not even excluding the twinkies that he didn't eat so he could eat vegetables on his diet. The saturated fat he ate could have been even lower per day. The ADA and the CDC recommend (practically plead) that less than 7% of your calories should be composed of sat. fat to stave off heart disease. That number wasn't pulled out of a hat, it was established after trails to see what magic number lowers cholesterol. The average diet is well over that percentage. 7% of 1,800 is 126g, 126 calories divided by 9 cals per fat gram is 14g- so he was indeed eating more saturated fat than recommended (30g), but it's safe to say Mr. Dude here ate more 30g saturated fat per day before this diet, it's not really a stretch. The lower your intake of saturated fat, the better your cholesterol levels will get. I don't remember learning about anything else that affects cholesterol other than malfunctions in your own body. Cholesterol consumption does not really affect cholesterol in your blood.

Cholesterol isn't really an indicator of health, just an indication of the likelihood you will suffer from heart disease. There's no real blood value that tells you you're healthy. I would like to see him eat Twinkies for the rest of his life.

Also, nutrition professor? Wow. He totally proved his hypothesis though (which was common sense anyway, hello, professor?), but I feel bad for his body!

Last edited by alligatordisco on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:53 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

My cholesterol didn't change after I went vegan, activity/exercise is a big influence on mine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:08 pm 

fezza wrote:
My cholesterol didn't change after I went vegan, activity/exercise is a big influence on mine.

That reminds me, I think there's also a cholesterol lowering affect when body fat drops. Was that the case for you?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:13 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

kibbles wrote:
fezza wrote:

That reminds me, I think there's also a cholesterol lowering affect when body fat drops. Was that the case for you?

How very dare you! I've never had any body fat*

*I donno, I haven't gotten my levels checked since losing those 21lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

kibbles wrote:
I'd have to look back at my books but I'm pretty sure cholesterol isn't much affected by sugar or calories, only fat (saturated fat, actually).

Cholesterol levels are also influenced by your fiber, EFA and sugar/high GI food intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20734238
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8884395
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3367696
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20234030

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:14 am 
Dildo Queen

-_-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:53 am 
Bought a wardrobe full of Affliction t-shirts

just think, after all those preservatives the undertaker won't have near as much to do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I don't think one twinkie every three hours would really keep me feeling satisfied.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:08 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

why do people do such dumb shiitake? I am really tiring of writing articles about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:49 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I really hate articles like this because you just no some jackass is gonna read it and go 'oh my god! I'm totally going to do this and lose lots of weight'. I hate how people view a low weight as being more important then health.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:13 pm 

vegimator wrote:
kibbles wrote:
I'd have to look back at my books but I'm pretty sure cholesterol isn't much affected by sugar or calories, only fat (saturated fat, actually).

Cholesterol levels are also influenced by your fiber, EFA and sugar/high GI food intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20734238
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8884395
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3367696
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20234030

Ugh, wow. I feel so stupid after being out of college for a few months. Fiber one should have been obvious to me, and EFA is a no brainer. The glucose info sounds new to me though.