| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Henry hearts hipsters
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIhyZaA8 ... r_embedded

He seems insecure going on and on about how hipsters think he's a dinosaur. Do they? I've never heard that. Most people I know think he's a legend/legendary crasshole, but I guess I don't hang out with a lot of hipsters.

ETA: that "Henry Hank Rolo" filter bugs me. Although his neck is indeed like whoa.

Post subject: Re: Henry hearts hipsters
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R2Z-QmRqrg&

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:25 am 
Member type 4

The second video demonstrates the wonders of YouTube.

I've only been to the Cake Shop once, and I thought it was called the Coke Shop. Some drunk person outside tried to hire me to do illustrations for Tide or something. It was weird.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:35 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I forking love that he's hanging out with Shirin Neshat. She looks rather perplexed by him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:39 am 
Member type 4

BluePlasticStraw wrote:
I forking love that he's hanging out with Shirin Neshat. She looks rather perplexed by him.

Did she look more or less uncomfortable after he referred to the outing as a date?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:01 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

BluePlasticStraw wrote:

Yeah, if she's so forking amazing let her finish her sentence! He has the hipsters number because, omigod, he WAS one!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:01 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

PS where is that filmed?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:20 am 
Member type 4

IsaChandra wrote:
PS where is that filmed?

Cake Shop in the Lower East Side. I think it's off of Ludlow.

It smells like cinnamon and beer in there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:23 am 
Member type 4

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... s_t_1.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:32 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

If you look really closely at the beginning you can see him flip through Ted Leo's "Treble In Trouble" Ep. That's really the best part of the entire thing.

"POSI JUMP HURTS MY TITS" - Isa.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:34 am 
Member type 4

I talked to him once in Orlando. The only thing I could think to say was, "hey, we have the same Einsturzende Neubaten tattoo."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:42 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Dude's got issues.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:07 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I don't know - I'd probably be annoyed if I were him too. He may have been a hipster himself once (or not - I'm not convinced either way), but it sucks to see a bunch of people appropriating something you believed so much in and sacrificed so much for. He's a human being who sometimes has insecurities or ego fluctuations or whatever.

When I went to that place (the Cake Shop), I was pretty forking annoyed with everyone there too. I guess I have issues too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:10 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
I don't know - I'd probably be annoyed if I were him too. He may have been a hipster himself once (or not - I'm not convinced either way), but it sucks to see a bunch of people appropriating something you believed so much in and sacrificed so much for. He's a human being who sometimes has insecurities or ego fluctuations or whatever.

When I went to that place (the Cake Shop), I was pretty forking annoyed with everyone there too. I guess I have issues too.

I'm not saying those kids weren't annoying, but the dude DOES have issues. What makes him think it's appropriate to go off on other human beings like that? Especially when he is in the presence of someone else, therefore kind of putting them in a weird situation by being caught in the middle? smart asparagus kids annoy me, too, but I still don't think it's appropriate to get in people's faces - like he so famously has done many times before.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I really LIKE that he gets in people's faces. Sure, it's rude, and it's often off putting. If he were doing it as a form of advocacy or activism, I'd probably like it less, since I don't think it's generally very effective for that purpose, but I like conflict sometimes. I think it's good for people. Henry comes across as an arrogant jerk in this video (and the kids he's berating come across as flippant, ignorant twits), but if you've listened to or read the things that he's done, it's pretty clear that he cops to his jerkiness, his privilege, and his fallibility. He's willing to learn and to grow, and at his age, and with his pedigree, I think that's great. So the hipsters catch a little shiitake from old man Ro[b][/b[llins - meh.

Also, it was them who called him out first. Can you imagine how annoying it must be to not be able to go anywhere without someone yelling "get in the van" at you? I would snap too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:20 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
I really LIKE that he gets in people's faces. Sure, it's rude, and it's often off putting. If he were doing it as a form of advocacy or activism, I'd probably like it less, since I don't think it's generally very effective for that purpose, but I like conflict sometimes. I think it's good for people. Henry comes across as an arrogant jerk in this video (and the kids he's berating come across as flippant, ignorant twits), but if you've listened to or read the things that he's done, it's pretty clear that he cops to his jerkiness, his privilege, and his fallibility. He's willing to learn and to grow, and at his age, and with his pedigree, I think that's great. So the hipsters catch a little shiitake from old man Hank Rolo - meh.

Fair enough!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:23 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
Also, it was them who called him out first. Can you imagine how annoying it must be to not be able to go anywhere without someone yelling "get in the van" at you? I would snap too.

Yes, I dislike that part too. How they were kind of laughing - it was definitely rude and I didn't see it as they were trying to be friendly or whatever. But I still don't think he should've ranted and gone off on them...and on and on and on...like he did.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What it all comes down to is that jopa has a giant boner for Hank.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:29 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

mel c wrote:
What it all comes down to is that jopa has a giant boner for Hank.

I have a huge boner for Hank too.

Those kids were obnoxious. If I ran into Hank Rolo, I don't know exactly what I would say but I certainly wouldn't scream out "HENRY Hank Rolo IS HERE!! GET IN THE VAN!!" So yeah, he's right about them being entitled dumbasses. But his analysis of the situation just seemed off to me: they want him to get out of the way? Really? They want to make a spectacle of him, obviously.

And I don't think he was ever a hipster. To me, that's a very post-2000 term.