| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Next vacation planning - seek opinions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:57 pm 
Chip Strong

I am starting to plan my next vacation and would love opinions on the following two trips:

Austria (Vienna, Salsburg), Budapest, Prague, Krakow

or

Croatia, Slovenia, maybe Bosnia

I likely won't have a car this trip so train travel times/convenience between stops is a huge consideration; also veg food availability, general atmosphere, friendliness, anything really.

I love museums, history, churches, scenery, PUBS and outdoor cafes.

pls cast your votes and tell me why and what I would love about each place.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Next vacation planning - seek opinions
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:04 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I've been to Vienna, Budapest & Prague.

I LOVE Vienna, I go back as often as possible. It's beautiful, interesting, has great gig venues (at Arena), art & wonderful vegan food not to mention my brilliant PPK buddies acht & inceptisol. I've blogged about the food many times, here's a link to the google search for my blog & Vienna.

I got the train from Vienna to Bratislava & then Bratislava to Budapest once & from what I remember it was cheap & easy. I think it's only ~1 hour from Vie-Bra and then ~4 from Bra-Bud. Bratislava is well worth a day trip along the way & I can't wait to go back to Budapest. There was an awesome castle, the old town's amazing, we visited amazing baths & ate fantastic food which I wrote about here. We stayed at a place called Homemade Hostel which I'd happily go back to.

I visited Prague on a different trip & didn't really enjoy it. It was the middle of tourist season & incredibly hot (I'm not a hot weather fan!) & everywhere was INSANELY busy. I'm not saying don't go but it wasn't for me.

I've always wanted to go to Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia & will hopefully make it there this year or next year so update this thread if you go.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jojo wrote:
We stayed at a place called Homemade Hostel which I'd happily go back to.

I'm there right now! I second the recommendation, it's super cute, great location and has a decent kitchen- which is nice since most of the restaurants we wanted to go to are closed for the new year.

Anyway, we only got here from Prague yesterday morning, so we haven't seen heaps yet. We got an overnight sleeper train, which was pretty reasonably priced (compared to all the DB trains we've been catching over the last couple of weeks) and wasn't too uncomfortable. Even Boyfriend managed to get a good night's sleep, and he's tall so he's never comfortable anywhere. It took about 8.5 hours (via Bratislava, which I slept through), but the day trains are faster (maybe 6.5 hours?).

Yesterday we went to the park where all the old communist statues are kept (kind of touristy, but we still found it interesting) and the Gellert baths. Today we'll probably check out the parliament building, the castle, some memorial type stuff and I'm not sure what else yet. There's a lot of stuff to choose from!

Prague is definitely touristy. We were just there so it's mid-winter, but a lot of things were still packed. We stayed near the Charles Bridge and it took us 15 minutes to walk across it to get dinner the first night, just because of the people in the way. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to enjoy Prague because of all the people, but I ended up really liking it anyway. You just have to pick your times to do things- we found that the bridge was a lot more enjoyable at 8am the next day. We ate some great food there too- I highly recommend Lehka Hlava. We also spent a lot of time in pubs, went up to the castle (worth it just for the view, but the cathedral up there is great too), went to the Kafka museum, a Mucha/Dali exhibition, the Jewish cemetary (super interesting) and the ossuary at Kutna Hora (which I loved). Just walking around is fascinating too, since it's such a beautiful city (if you can see past the tourists getting photos of their heads in front of things).

I should also add that a couple of girls in our Prague hostel were heading to Salzburg by train next, and that we saw trains to Krakow at the train station, so both are easily accessible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:08 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Erinerrung I love that you're at Homemade Hostel right now! I love the building it's in! Are you enjoying all of the tacky bridal stores in the area?!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh my, yes! Coupled with all the tacky tinsel wigs for sale on the streets for new years, the Oktogon is the classiest place in Europe!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:42 pm 
Cranky

Budapest and Krakow! I wasn't even vegetarian when I lived in Krakow (2002-2003) so I can't advise about that, but I loved it so much. And I visited Budapest twice because I enjoyed it so much. I'm not such a fan of Prague or Vienna, but I really liked Bratislava.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:19 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I love Budapest and there's a surprising number of vegan-friendly places to eat. Get a list of veg places and learn how to say "falafel no yogurt please" in Hungarian and you'll be good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:00 pm 
Chip Strong

All the endorsements helped convince me, the Budapest/Prague trip it is.

2013 for Croatia
Thanks very much!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:55 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Munich is quite close to Salzburg, maybe 90 minutes to two hours by train. I've never been anywhere really urban in Croatia, but I remember eating mostly so-so pizza while there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:21 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Totally hijacking an old thread, but I'm leaving for Prague in five days. So excited. Anyone got any recs?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:00 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I loved Prague when I went last year!

Prague Castle is amazing and well worth paying the full ticket price for (they give you the option of paying for a smaller number of sections of the castle or the full place). Go on the metro! And there's also this amazing hill you can walk up or go on the furnicular railway to climb and have a great view of the city. I also enjoyed the museum of Communism and the original statues from the Charles Bridge in the Casement at Vysehrad. If I had had more time, I would have liked to go out to Terezin for a day trip too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:57 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thanks, Imogen. I'm definitely looking forward to exploring the castle, I'll go for the full ticket. It all looks so beautiful and there's so much to do that it's hard to prioritise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:59 pm 
Chip Strong

Prague is like a fairtale, with incredible history, beauty and old world charm. Loved it!!
I also recommend the castle and the Museum of Communism, both great; also a plug for the Church of St Mary the Victorious where the Infant of Prague is and don't miss the Lennon Wall. That is a must.
Have a fabulous trip!