| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Divino- Berkeley
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:17 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

This the restaurant formerly known as Fellini.

They are still renovating, but Molly and I were walking by this evening and they have a menu posted in the window! Their sign said they would be offering vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options, and their new menu looks pretty nice. They have a separate vegan section with 5-6 plates plus a pasta that's vegan. And vegan bread pudding and pancakes! I remember a white bean cake thingie and a vegan pizza, plus a tofu scramble, and some other stuff. Looking forward to it!

It looks to be step up from Fellini in terms of being a little more shi-shi. The menu did not list prices, which makes me a little apprehensive! But their whole thing is local, organic, in-season produce. I can dig!

Also, I didn't realize but Fellini's coffee bar is still open/operational, it appears. They were closed when I walked by, obviously, but it was fully stocked with pastries and bananas and was not completely gutted and primed like the restaurant.

Post subject: Re: Divino- Berkeley
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:50 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Sounds great! Do you happen to know if it's the same owners and/or cook staff?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:52 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Different owners. Don't know about the cook staff! But yeah, I would have no interest whatsoever if it was still the most recent owner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:19 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

yay!!! that's awesome. especially the pancakes part. It's getting damn hard to find anywhere to eat brunch in the east Bay. I mean, I love Donut Farm, I really do; but options are good. (And the BF is not a fan of Saturn.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

upon reviewing the menu for the new place i am not happy with the change, the vegan options dont looks as good as they used to be and yeah look to be more expensive

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:56 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

But! But! The florentine...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:56 am 
Lime and a Coconut

I was a little tired of Fellini's menu, to be honest. The second owner diminished the vegan options and took the quality of the remaining ones downhill. I believe towards the end of his tenure as owner he even did away with vegan options entirely at one point. Fellini was definitely a great restaurant at one point but not since that bald dude up and sold and this new dude took over.

As for Divino, It's definitely more expensive but if they're committed to local, seasonal, and organic produce, then I'm willing to give it a shot. As long as they don't sub my tofu with real dead chicken on my birthday after an hour long wait, they can't be worse than Fellini.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm 
Huffs Nooch

wow, i didn't even realize Fellini went away! crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, the last two times I'd been to Fellini, the dinner food was not that great, and my breakfast was cold. Will be interested to see if this new place is any better!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:56 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I never liked dinner at Fellinis, it was always like...something with fake meat I could have made at home but worse. It was strictly a brunch spot for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:53 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

It looks like Divino is officially open for business! If they actually are open I may swing by sometime this weekend and give them a try.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Can't wait to hear a review!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:03 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I went a few weeks ago with my baby sis and BF for dinner.

We shared vegan bruschetta, which was very nice. Even the non-vegan baby sis liked it. I ordered the winter soup and it was huge! It was yummy, and I got pretty full on that. Then I got a vegan pizza (marinara with added mushrooms), and it was pretty good since it was just tomato sauce, garlic, basil and mushrooms. I'm not sure if they can add some vegan cheese to the pizza, but I didn't ask for any.

The BF ordered a salad and the vegan penne dish with tomato sauce, which he enjoyed very much. We also shared a side of creamy polenta that they said could be made vegan. It was the only bland thing all night, but after adding a bit of salt it was much better. It was probably the only bland thing all night because they usually add parmesan cheese to it, so it needed more salt. I swear, though, that polenta serving was huge for a side dish!

Overall, it was a much better dining experience than when it was Fellini. The food was a lot better - it was a lot less bland, everything came out hot, and we didn't have to wait forever... Also, the staff is friendly, helpful, and quick.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Nice! Thanks for the review!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:25 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Finally went tonight! Had the insalata mista, the brussels sprouts, and a pizza special with asparagus and grilled potatoes.

Overall I thought it was good! Prices are definitely higher, which I could do without. And yeah, I get that it's Mediterranean food, but isn't it supposed to be hyper local as well, so why is most of the wine menu European? It's not exactly like we're short on local wine in the Bay Area....

That said, the insalata mista was insanely delicious. I mean, add candied pecans to just about anything to make it delicious. But this was great- perfectly dressed and enormous to boot. They do have a half size, I would recommend getting that, as even split between two the large size was enough to be a small meal in itself!

The Brussels sprouts were delectable, and the pizza was pretty good. Super thin crust, daiya cheese. It didn't blow my socks off but goodness knows I've had nastier vegan pizza. I'll definitely be back again, but sadly not as often as Fellini, given the prices.