| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zumba Zumba Zumba!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Who is Zumbaing with me? I got the new dvd set for Christmas and I've done it three times already. Soooo much fun and as addictive as they claim it is. I had taken a class a few years ago that was good. But the dvd's are awesome. The hour long workout goes really fast and you burn between 500 - 800 calories per dvd. I'm not the best dancer, but it is fun to just geek out and move my hips while sweating up a storm and learning new dances. The only maybe bad thing is that it's all cardio and not much strength. I'm not sore at all after working out. The set I got does come with toning sticks. They are light but should help with arm toning. I haven't used them yet. There is also some chair dancing and belly dancing in the routines. That should be fun! The music is good too. I wish I knew Spanish so I could sing along.

http://www.zumba.com/en-US/shop/product ... xperience/

Post subject: Re: Zumba Zumba Zumba!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:06 pm 
Huffs Nooch

ME! I found two of the dvds on ebay and bought them separately (the activate dvd, and exhilarate). I figured I wouldn't end up using the others like the dance party or the intro. to zumba steps. I've done zumba before and loved it, but I particularly love the hip hop dances, and the dvd's are usually more latin-based. Oh well.....should be fun!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love the activate but havent done the exhilarate yet. The activate is really fun! I did the ripped dvd today. It was hard! The chair workout part was fun, but the steps were hard to get on the first try. I think I'll do the ehilarate tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:08 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I go to a Zumba class on Tuesday nights. I was thinking about getting the Zumba DVD's with toning sticks but I have so many fitness dvds that I decided I'd leave it for now & just stick with the class. I'm tempted to get it again now I've seen how enthusiastic you are about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just realized that my local library has all the DVDs. I'll take a look at them, and if I like it, I might join in. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:03 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I got Zumba fitness 2 for the Wii for Christmas. It's fun but i'm not sure how much of it is traditional Zumba. Is there such a thing as traditional zumba? Its a bit more hip hop. xxx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:07 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I looove Zumba! I do it at home to the DVDs, but I think my DVD collection is the older one because it's not the same collection posted above (this is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Zumba-Fitness-Tot ... B002HZ4XMC) The songs are upbeat and fun and I tend to sing along as I'm doing the workout. The collection I have is all latin-based music which is really fun. Water, proper footwear and something comfy to dance in are needed. I remember when I first started, being surprised at how much you sweat and pant from dancing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I am drenched when I get done! The footwear thing is an issue for me. I workout in my basement and its carpeted. When I wear sneakers my feet stick and I cant glide like I want to. And the dvds I have are all latin based dances and music, but they added some hip hop and bellydancing moves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I tried the Step By Step program, since I figured I had to learn all the basic steps first. I haven't done any ballroom dancing for 15 years (and I never learned Salsa etc), but my body seems to remember the rhythms and movements (especially my hips, haha), and I think this could really be fun. Trying out the Activate DVD ASAP. Hope I can keep up with you ppkers; it does sound pretty exertive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:31 pm 

Gonna ZUUUUMBAAAA tonight! Can't wait, it's one of my favourite ways to relieve stress. It's so fun I even get Trevor to join sometimes, he's so cute when he tries to shake his hips :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ok, the exhilarate dvd just chewed me up and spit me out! That shiitake was hard. I can't dance that good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:40 pm 

yup, Cardio Party whooped me real good tonight. Felt good, even though there's a couple moves I always sit out because they give me shin splints if I do them. Does your DVD set have Beto (the zumba inventor) in them? He is so endearing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yup, Beto is in almost all of them. I really like the two girls in the Activate dvd though. I wish they were in more. Beto does the Ripped dvd that includes the new Sentao chair dancing. And he was in the Exhilarate dvd I just did tonight. I'm pretty sure hes going to be in the fitness concert dvd too. Which I think is a live video from the Zumba conference a few years ago. That what's I read at least. Looking forward to that one!

The Exhilarate dvd had a Swing routine in it!! Seriously, I just watched that one, my feet don't move that fast.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, and it turns out my cats really love calypso.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:38 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

went to a zumba class yesterday! it was sooo much fun - but afterwards my back really hurt. I guess it must be Yoga, then...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Awww really? That stinks. What part of your back? I realized that I'm working my lower back more than I ever have. Must be from all of the hips and twisting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:06 am 
Tofu Pup

How much are the dvds? I have been wanting to buy them for a long time. I heard it is really a great workout.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mine were a Christmas gift, but I think the set I have is like 80 dollars. Probably cheaper on Amazon or if bought used. And the set that came out before mine is probably really cheap now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Whoa, I just did the 40 minutes Activate programme. That's certainly enough for an untrained couch potato like me.
But it was huge fun, and I was sweating like a ... really sweaty thing.
And now I want more! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:45 pm 

Zuuuumbaaa! I'll be doing it again tonight. Probably the live dvd that comes with my set, perhaps it's the same one that comes in the new one? It's Beto, Tanya, and the other regulars infront of a live crowd. There isn't step by step verbal instruction, you just kind of dance along with them to the music! Great fun. I'll probably get Trevor in on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

indigozo wrote:
I got Zumba fitness 2 for the Wii for Christmas. It's fun but i'm not sure how much of it is traditional Zumba. Is there such a thing as traditional zumba? Its a bit more hip hop. xxx

I was thinking of getting this too. I just got Wii for Christmas, so far the only activity-type game I've played is Just Dance. It is fun but I'm pretty bad at it! So now I'm hesitating because it seems like Zumba will be even harder.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Parts of Zumba will be harder. But overall it's on par with Just Dance. See if there is a latin song/dance in your Just Dance and try that. If you like it then go for Zumba.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:39 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

GraciaKai wrote:
Awww really? That stinks. What part of your back? I realized that I'm working my lower back more than I ever have. Must be from all of the hips and twisting.

About where my bra strap is. I tend to just get them out of the blue, but its reeeeeaally bad after running. and, as it would seem, after Zumba, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:58 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I acquired the DVDs and before I get all crazy and actually work out, what do I need? I am working out on a carpeted area. Could you do it just in socks? Will my two (or three, I can't remember)-pound hand weights work as the toning sticks?

I hate working out. I hope I love zumba. I do love dancing and I'm pretty coordinated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm doing it in sneakers on a hardwood floor. And without toning sticks (got the DVDs from the library.)
I'm pretty sure you can do it in socks; you might want to slide a bit, though, so I don't know how well it will work on a carpet.
Just give it a try!