| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitchen counters
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:20 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

So what are your favorite kitchen surfaces? What do you have and what do you dream of having?

I've got this TERRIBLE formica-ish stuff that I desperately want to get rid of. I'd like something black but I'm not sure what. I'm not crazy about granite. In fact, I dislike it. And it seems that concrete is just as expensive unless you do it yourself (which I won't,) So yeah, let's talk counters.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Kitchen counters
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:22 am 

What do you think of soapstone?
http://vermontsoapstone.com/soapstone_ctexamples.asp

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:24 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've got granite right now, which is an upgrade from the yellowing plastic junk I had in my last apartment. I like the granite better, but it shows a lot of dirt. I think I would like some sort of sealed wood counters, not practical, but pretty! That soapstone looks nice too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:47 am 
Dead by dawn

I like my granite. I guess it's the color, but it's very forgiving as far as showing dirt/stains. Of course, I had 70s looking, faux wood grain, warped and buckling laminate in my last apartment so anything would be an upgrade. What I love is having the sink edge under the counter (like the soapstone pic) so that you can just wipe spills and stuff straight into the sink.

The soapstone looks pretty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:48 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I have granite and that's what I prefer, I think, but I've seen cool stainless steel countertops in pictures! And how awesome for rolling out pastry and stuff like that. Also I bet you could put hot pans down on them with no problem. Whatever I have, I have to have something I can take a pan right off the heat and put it on the counter because now I'm so used to doing that. I accidentally did this at my mom's house (they have Formica) and made a little scorch mark on the counter because I completely forgot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:52 am 

What color of granite do you all have, or is there only one color? Mine is black, and it seems that no matter how many times I clean it, something gets on there and makes it look dusty or spotty. I do like that I can cut/place whatever I want on the counters, however.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:55 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

NO. Granite SUCKS. We live in a place with brand new granite countertops, and man-- it looks nice, but it dulls your knives, it breaks your dishes, it requires special treatment soas to keep random acids (like lemon juice) from etching it, you can't put hot things on it, and even the tiniest amount of stuff makes it look totally filthy. Formica might look sort of lame and low-budget, but you can USE it. These countertops, I feel like I have to observe them from a distance. It's better than the tile counters we had at our last place, which had many of the knife-destroying drawbacks of granite but also had crevices of grout that made them uneven and a massive pain to clean or to try to set things on or to use for anything that required flatness.

I'd rather have acres of butcherblock-- even check Ikea-stylee butcherblock that I'd have to sand down and re-oil every six months. I'd rather have moderately good Formica. I'd rather have basically ANYTHING other than any surface with a higher hardness than steel that can't take acids and can't take heat. Really, it's like having shoes that can't get wet-- why would you do this to yourself?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:06 am 

Finally a voice of reason.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:06 am 

WORD UP HOMEGIRL

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:07 am 

Can you keep going on about what else you'd rather have?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:08 am 

I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:09 am 

I had an igloo once.

It was AWESOME.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:22 am 

IsaChandra wrote:
Can you keep going on about what else you'd rather have?

I'd rather have knotty pine! I'd rather have asbestos ceiling tiles! I'd rather have a delightful lemon tart! I'd rather have a counter upholstered with low-grade denim! I'd rather have a sheet of glass! (I've seen sinks that appeared to be basically made of glass, and they also terrified me.) I'd rather have layers and layers of flour tortillas! Just think, if you spilled your salsa you could just peel up a layer and eat it-- this would revolutionize cooking! I'd rather have a vast terrifying expanse of human flesh, gently pulsing, flushing red with heat or blistering where burned-- forgetting to put down a towel before setting a pan on the counter would require weeks of carefully changing bandages and applying antibiotic cream while it healed. And you wouldn't want your counter to get an infection, oh no. Nobody wants an inflamed countertop, and the pus would lend a sour flavor to anything prepared atop it. Not to mention if you had dry air in your house you'd need to moisturize it. Plus you'd have to make sure you got the top-quality flesh countertop-- the cheaper ones sometimes include hair follicles, and shaving your counter is terribly inconvenient, not to mention hard to clean up. Stick with name brands. Plus there was that time somebody's counter was clearly trying to communicate with them. Nobody wants a repeat of that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:24 am 
Dead by dawn

P-J wrote:
What color of granite do you all have, or is there only one color? Mine is black, and it seems that no matter how many times I clean it, something gets on there and makes it look dusty or spotty. I do like that I can cut/place whatever I want on the counters, however.

Mine's like mottled black and taupe and rusty brown kind of. Nothing shows on it; I have to remember to wipe it down daily. (And it doesn't dull my knives because I don't cut on it...) A pic:

(Sorry you hate it so much, Isa! I like it loads better than the dried catshit counters I had two apartments ago!)

Last edited by monkeytoes on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:25 am 

I'm sort of, kinda, maybe, possibly getting the impression you don't like granite, or am I reading too much into this?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:28 am 

monkeytoes wrote:
P-J wrote:

Mine's like mottled black and taupe and rusty brown kind of. Nothing shows on it; I have to remember to wipe it down daily. (And it doesn't dull my knives because I don't cut on it...) A pic:

(Sorry you hate it so much, Isa! I like it loads better than the dried catshit counters I had two apartments ago!)

I stopped cutting on the counters when I realized how quickly it dulled my knives. Your counter looks nicer than what I've got going over here. I will see if I can't get a picture, but its essence is Men in Black meets secret service.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:30 am 

Wait, people cut on their counters? Like, directly? Not on a cutting board? I think there's a deeper problem here.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 am 

Not anymore I don't… but it was touch and go there for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:49 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

IsaChandra wrote:
I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!

New sig!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:16 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

My friend wanted soapstone counters but they were out of her budget. Apparently you can put hot things on them and they are quite nice and all the good stuff.

She got sealed butcher block and has been fairly happy with it. It's a nice dark cherry wood, too, so it looks really nice, which is always a perk.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:26 am 

I don't usually cut right on the countertop, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to, just because the cutting board might have something else on it.

Mostly granite is annoying because dropping things on it, even a very short distance, tends to break them. We have 2 pint glasses left, out of like six when we moved in here.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:14 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'be spent more time thinking about this than someone who isn't remodeling anytime soon should.

Quartz! And a butcher block island, which I don't have room for.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My dad and his wife have Corian worktops in their v. fancy kitchen, and it's beautiful: it has that solid, expensive look of granite, and it's heat proof, but it's warmer to the touch, and has a very slightly luminous quality. That's what I covet.
http://corian.co.uk/Corian/en_GB/assets ... engal5.jpg

(I realise that Corian is a brand name - so I don't know if it's called something different in the US?)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:23 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Human flesh counter tops are not vegan! And I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Cheap plastic something. Goes great with my tiny kitchen and 30 year old appliances.I think marble counter tops look great, but I imagine they are pretty expensive.

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next