| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Parents keep child's gender secret
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:37 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The Toronto Star published an update on the Family in today's paper.

Overall, the 'going public' did connect them with people that have similar values; bringing experiences, resources and support that will help them be a happy and healthy family.

Also, Fezza gets extra shortbread and gold star for guessing right - a book on parenting is underway.

Where are they now? Storm, the ‘genderless baby’
(Toronto Star, December 24, 2011)

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/110 ... -baby?bn=1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:01 pm 
Semen Strong

I think their lives sound pretty sweet!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:13 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I found this article/concept really interesting. I think I would have turned out a very different person if I had grown up in this type of home! In a good way! I do always have the thought that it would be kind of ironic/hilarious if all three kids ended up being total right wing corporate lawyers or something. I hope they continue to chronicle their family life, it will be interesting to see how it develops.

I do wonder why they made the decision with their third child, though, and not the first two?

"It's very dear to me, the issue of GAY MARRIAGE. Or, as I like to call it: 'MARRIAGE.' You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn't gay park it." -Liz Feldman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 am 
And you never will.

eatmonaeat wrote:
I do wonder why they made the decision with their third child, though, and not the first two?

As a parent of one child (so far), I can safely say that like in life, we don't always make the choices the first time around that we would make subsequently. My sister formula-fed and disposable diapered her first two, and breastfed and cloth diapered her last one. Why? Because something she learned along the way convinced her that it was right for them. We don't always have the same ideals the first (or second) time through something.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:34 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

eatmonaeat wrote:
I found this article/concept really interesting. I think I would have turned out a very different person if I had grown up in this type of home! In a good way! I do always have the thought that it would be kind of ironic/hilarious if all three kids ended up being total right wing corporate lawyers or something. I hope they continue to chronicle their family life, it will be interesting to see how it develops.

It sounds as though their experiences with the first two may have had something to do with it. Both elder children are male (and seem to identify as boys, though it's a while since I read the article) but in some ways do not conform to gender stereotypes. For instance at least one of them has grown out his hair and likes wearing pink or sparkley clothes.
People do tend to notice and question little boys doing 'girl things' more than they do little girls doing 'boy things' and I can see why a parent might be outraged at people criticising their child for being itself. By not making the third child's sex generally known they're giving people a chance to judge it by what it does, not what it 'should' do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:04 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

GreenDuck wrote:
eatmonaeat wrote:

It sounds as though their experiences with the first two may have had something to do with it. Both elder children are male (and seem to identify as boys, though it's a while since I read the article) but in some ways do not conform to gender stereotypes. For instance at least one of them has grown out his hair and likes wearing pink or sparkley clothes.
People do tend to notice and question little boys doing 'girl things' more than they do little girls doing 'boy things' and I can see why a parent might be outraged at people criticising their child for being itself. By not making the third child's sex generally known they're giving people a chance to judge it by what it does, not what it 'should' do.

Yeah that makes sense, that's a good point.

"It's very dear to me, the issue of GAY MARRIAGE. Or, as I like to call it: 'MARRIAGE.' You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn't gay park it." -Liz Feldman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:19 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

An update on Storm in the Toronto Star this morning:

Remember Storm? We check in on the baby being raised gender-neutral
Storm, 2, is a busy, chatty, toddler whose current infatuations include peanut butter and playing with sock puppets.

http://www.thestar.com/life/parent/2013 ... utral.html