| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I tried the chickpea onion rings tonight. Not diet friendly, but delicious nonetheless and very easy to make. I didn't even have to buy sparkling water since I have a Soda Stream and made my own.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm a huge fan of that dill potato salad. I made it for my omni family (and we're talking hardcore midwestern BBQ people) on the 4th of July and they all ate it right up with no idea it was tofu-based.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the chocolate chip cookies the other night but left them in the oven a couple of minutes too long so they weren't as soft as they should have been. The couple at the front of the oven that didn't get too hard were super delicious though, so I'll make these again. Flax cookies are my favourite.

I also made the diner dressing/stuffing last night. This stuff is awesome! Definitely going into my regular rotation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:11 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Molly, I can taste tofu a mile off - and this dressing tasted nothing like tofu. I'd even bought storebought vegan mayo, fully intending to use that, and this was a mere experiment. As I said, it was rich, creamy, delicious and worked great on the potato salad.

Erinnerung, if you can leave it one more day, when I've overbaked the cookies, they tend to soften overnight... Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the biscuits and white sage gravy this past week - lovely! The biscuits were super duper fluffy out of the oven (they hardened over night, but what vegan biscuits don't?) and the gravy was super creamy and noochy - and easy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:27 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I made the chilli last night. Pretty good for what basically took 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:40 am 
Ninja Master

I caved and ordered this book! :)

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 am 
Nailed to the V

I made pancakes from VWAV yesterday for my mom. Because I know that she uses lots of syrup, I decided to try the recipe in Vegan Diner to make the Maple Agave Syrup. It's 1/2 maple syrup, 1/2 agave nectar, and maple extract. We both absolutely loved it! It does actually taste buttery! It's obviously a cost-saver, but it doesn't taste like you're stretching the syrup - it has a rich flavor all on it's own.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:31 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I love this book, but my favorite is the Chipotle Scallion Cornbread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding for Christmas dinner, but used sour cherry-chocolate bread instead of plain. OMG. Unreal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:46 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

So far I have made the Home Style Loaf, the Chili and the Home style Noodle soup. All were fantastic, family friendly and really doable on a weekday night. yeah!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:04 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

my dad just declared the smoky soy curls "the best vegan thing i've had yet" and "maybe better than regular bacon"!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

Everything I've made from this cookbook is incredible. I love smoked paprika, so obviously I'm happy that a lot of the recipes call for a good amount of the stuff. The veggie noodle soup is one of my winter faves now:

Veggie Soup by AhimsaVegan, on Flickr

Other recipes I'm in love with (or obsessed with) are the mocha muffins, herbed breakfast sausages, the smoky seitan roast, and the chicken style roast. I really want to make the orange cinnamon rolls but haven't found the soymilk powder. Has anyone left that out and still had a good result?

maygles wrote:
I made the veggies with dumplings for dinner tonight (with some variations) and it was really good! Plus it made a lot, so I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Is there a trick to making leftover veggies & dumplings save well? I loved this recipe when I made it, but when I tried to eat the leftovers the following day it was really gross. The dumplings had sort of dissolved and it was a goopy, nasty mess.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:34 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

fatcat wrote:
I tried the chickpea onion rings tonight. Not diet friendly, but delicious nonetheless and very easy to make. I didn't even have to buy sparkling water since I have a Soda Stream and made my own.

Soda Stream 4eva! I tested for VD but managed to miss the chickpea onion rings. I am totally utilizing my beloved Soda Stream for this kind of deliciousness.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

KarmaLily wrote:
maygles wrote:
I made the veggies with dumplings for dinner tonight (with some variations) and it was really good! Plus it made a lot, so I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Is there a trick to making leftover veggies & dumplings save well? I loved this recipe when I made it, but when I tried to eat the leftovers the following day it was really gross. The dumplings had sort of dissolved and it was a goopy, nasty mess.

I had this problem with another soup-and-dumpling recipe I made (not from this book). What I did to rectify it to some extent (never as good leftover dumplings as fresh) but I separated the dumplings from the soup, stored them separately and then reheated them separately in a toaster oven and had the soup reheating in a saucepan on the stove. Once the dumplings were hot in the toaster oven and the soup was hot on the stove, I put them back together again. Better than leaving the dumplings in the soup to sog indefinitely, for sure, but never as good as fresh.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:45 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I want to make the pot roast tonight for dinner. I don't have the book near me since I'm not at home. Does it need marmite? I can't remember if it's that recipe or another one. And if it does, do you think I could sub something else since I don't have any and it's really expensive here. Thanks!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:31 pm 

Probably too late for tonight but yes it calls for Marmite. She says you can sub red miso.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:49 pm 

That's so weird about the dumpling soup.. We've reheated it, and they've been fine - perhaps a bit firmer, and even nicer the next day? We've just stored the pot directly, so perhaps they get a bit wet if you decant it into a smaller container?

BTW - with the milkshakes.. I've found weird beer-supply malt powder, and malt syrup.. Has anyone made them successfully? She says powder, but I"m just a little lost. And the malt syrup is quite strong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:11 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

mattomic wrote:
That's so weird about the dumpling soup.. We've reheated it, and they've been fine - perhaps a bit firmer, and even nicer the next day? We've just stored the pot directly, so perhaps they get a bit wet if you decant it into a smaller container?

BTW - with the milkshakes.. I've found weird beer-supply malt powder, and malt syrup.. Has anyone made them successfully? She says powder, but I"m just a little lost. And the malt syrup is quite strong.

Hi Matt! I meant to get back to you on this. Liquid malt doesn't have the same flavor, kind of bitter. At least the ones I've tried. Go for the powder! Beer supply stores area great place to find the powder.

Julie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:17 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

geekywhitegirljoan wrote:
Probably too late for tonight but yes it calls for Marmite. She says you can sub red miso.

Thanks! I did end up making it with the red miso and it was pretty good. My omnivore husband was even raving about it, and he usually hates "faux meats."

Edit - Also, I didn't have porcini powder, but I just whizzed up some dried shiitakes in a coffee grinder.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:49 pm 
Impressive boner

I've made the Great Smoky Mountain Cheese, the quinoa burgers and the garlic mayo and have loved all of them. I'll be making more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm loving this book so far. I've made the cole slaw (really nice basic slaw, I did add a bit more vinegar as I wanted more zing) and I loved the quick and hearty chili and the skillet cornbread. I was worried that it might be too much sugar in the cornbread, but used the whole measure (I think it's 1/3 cup sugar for the whole recipe) anyway and baked it up in my cast iron skillet and it was perfect. Not too much sugar in the end. Then, I had some leftover cornbread after I ate it with the chili, so made garlicky cornbread croutons from Vegan Soul Kitchen and they are awesome to sprinkle on salads and soups. It's been yummiful. I'll be making more from this book soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:11 pm 

Count me in as another Mac and Cheeze lover.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm gonna make the chocolate chip skillet pie tonight for the first time. Excited!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:23 pm 

Love the chocolate chip skillet pie, but jdfunks - let it cool! And don't worry about overcooking, I think. Let it coool and set, because it will most likely still be a bit molten when it comes out of the oven. Either that, or just eat it out of the pan ;).

The chocolate chip skillet pie reminds me of a giant, awesome, fudgy, chocolate cookie. Oh yes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next