| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: GOP Presidential candidates say the darndest things
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Some days it feels like the GOP candidates for President are so delusional about the country we live in, that they can't even see the need to finesse their racism, sexism, classism etc. They are bringing crazy back.

Post your examples of candidate nutjobbery here.

Like:Santorum Explains His Comments About Black People And Entitlements

Quote:
former Pennsylvania senator went on a tangent about entitlement programs and appeared to tell a mostly white crowd that he did not want to "make black people's lives better by giving them somebody else's money."

Drudge is reporting that Ron Paul is taking Iowa with 31 percent of vote. Romney coming in second, Santorum third. So yeah, racism is alive and healthy chez GOP

Post subject: Re: GOP Presidential candidates say the darndest things
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:18 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

A day or two ago I saw a video where Ron Paul defended his claims that victims of sexual harassment should just quit their jobs, and society should not bear the burden of paying for the care of AIDS victims. I also heard him say that education is not a right.

“Why don’t they quit once the so-called harassment starts? Obviously the morals of the harasser cannot be defended, but how can the harassee escape some responsibility for the problem?’’

“The individual suffering from AIDS certainly is a victim - frequently a victim of his own lifestyle - but this same individual victimizes innocent citizens by forcing them to pay for his care.”

Oh boy.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:30 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Regarding what Tofulish posted, I'm kind of confused about why Santorum started talking about black people when the subject at hand was apparently the push to get more people on Medicaid. But I guess if you look at the world through Santorum's eyes, black people are the only poor people. Bizarre.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

According to Santorum black people are the only people who are on food stamps too, although the people who he was talking about were supposed to be the people of Iowa, 70% of whom who receive food stamps are reported to be white.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:45 pm 
Semen Strong

And Newt agrees

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Thursday he is willing to go before the NAACP and urge blacks to demand paychecks, not food stamps.

I guess by paychecks he means those earned by children who clean toilets under his plan to loosen labor laws to allow children to work as janitorial staff in schools.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:51 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Delusional? It's called pandering to the electorate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:09 am 
Level 7 Vegan

OMG. I guess Santorum is now claiming that he said "blah people," not "black people." You can't make this shiitake up.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... ainst.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

I know he's not running anymore (thank goodness), but Herman Cain quoting the Pokeman movie in his campaign suspension speech was a real thing that actually happened.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:59 pm 
A Bad Person

Jigglypuff wrote:
OMG. I guess Santorum is now claiming that he said "blah people," not "black people." You can't make this shiitake up.

The Republican party is amazingly astute at re-writing history, even when it has been recorded live by half of a dozen independent sources. He said blah people now, so blah people is what it will be and he's certainly not a racist (anymore).

What would this presidential race be if the Republicans had actually backed a human being, rather than a menagerie of degenerate monsters? I really don't feel good about supporting an incumbent who continues to use unmanned drones to kill US citizens abroad without trial, and signed into law the elimination of due process, but I would feel even worse voting for one of the hatemongers the Republican party is going to offer up as an alternative. This kind of race really makes me feel a little hopeless over US politics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:02 pm 
Semen Strong

I love that no one respects Santorum enough to listen to his frothy mix of lube and crepe.

Santorum booed in contentious exchange over gay marriage

And I completely agree with Brian. I don't want to vote for Obama for a myriad of reasons including the drones and not vetoing the act that allows the government to indefinitely hold anyone designated as a terrorist, the use of CMUs and for not passing the Dream Act among a long list.

But there is no way I want Newt or Romney or Santorum getting elected and rolling back DADT and allowing more inroads into women's rights to terminate a pregnancy.

It is a shame that the Dems are so gormless. I was excited when Candidate Obama had a big pair and made big promises. I wish Pres Obama had played a bit more hardball. At this point our only hope is that he does so next term if elected. But he probably will continue to allow the GOP to define the discourse on matters where he should be taking the lead.

But at least he won't be reciting the Pokemon speech as his Inaugural Address

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Jigglypuff wrote:

What, you mean Santorum said something stupid and is trying to backpedal? Santorum is a bigoted pig? Gosh, say it isn't so. I'm surprised that Rick Santorum would do anything like that. He's such a kind and tolerant person, after all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

Mitt Romney claims his dog liked being tied to the roof of his car during a road trip for 12 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

Jigglypuff wrote:

What the hell is a blah people?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:09 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Mitt Romney claims his dog liked being tied to the roof of his car during a road trip for 12 hours.

But it's cool because the kennel was airtight. What?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:30 pm 
Semen Strong

During a town hall in Keene, New Hampshire this morning, Rick Santorum told a mother whose son survived cancer that people with pre-existing conditions should pay more for health care coverage because they make poor health care choices. While specifically exempting the woman’s child from personal blame, Santorum insisted that the sick cost more to insure and insurers should charge them higher premiums.

ugh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:58 pm 
ugh

"It's not your fault, but tough shiitake." - Ricky

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:59 pm 
ugh

http://fucknoricksantorum.tumblr.com/

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

b.vicious wrote:
http://fucknoricksantorum.tumblr.com/

<3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:18 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Santorum was quoted in NH today as saying we always need a "Jesus candidate." How long before he swears he meant a Cheesus candidate, as in one who is for grilled cheese?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

I know he's not a presidential candidate anymore but I thought this should be added to the list. John McCain praising Obama at a Romney campaign. Then talks down about Ronald Reagan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Also not a candidate but illustrative of the GOP vocabulary of race

Quote:
In August, one of Obama’s few Republican friends, Sen. Tom Coburn, lapsed into shameful racial stereotyping trying to “defend” the president, telling an Oklahoma constituent that Obama’s “intent is not to destroy … It’s to create dependency because it worked so well for him … As an African-American male, coming through the progress of everything he experienced, he got tremendous benefit through a lot of these programs.” A black guy raised by a (white) single mother gets into Harvard Law School: In the everyday vocabulary of today’s Republican Party, he’s looking for a handout.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:45 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:
Also not a candidate but illustrative of the GOP vocabulary of race

Quote:
In August, one of Obama’s few Republican friends, Sen. Tom Coburn, lapsed into shameful racial stereotyping trying to “defend” the president, telling an Oklahoma constituent that Obama’s “intent is not to destroy … It’s to create dependency because it worked so well for him … As an African-American male, coming through the progress of everything he experienced, he got tremendous benefit through a lot of these programs.” A black guy raised by a (white) single mother gets into Harvard Law School: In the everyday vocabulary of today’s Republican Party, he’s looking for a handout.

What an idiot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:40 pm 
Semen Strong

Contrast Santorum's 'F you sick people' to Obamacare

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:56 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

According to Santorum, children are better off with a father in jail than growing up in a gay household.

Also quoted in that article, marriage is a privilege, not a right.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:26 pm 
Semen Strong

That is horrible.

The NYT had a great article on the development of the GOP position on race: Racial politics play well for Republicans. Santorum and Paul finished second and third in Iowa. Time will tell if Gingrich rebounds. Playing to racial anxiety and fear isn’t a fluke; it’s a strategy that energizes the Republican base.

According to the article, Rick "I see blah people" Santorum, did well because of his racist statements, not despite them. Kind of scary.

To paraphrase Bush "they call you bigots, I call you my base."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next