| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1069 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 43  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:53 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10858
Location: Astoria, NY
interrobang?! wrote:
Ten minutes! Ten minutes! I can hardly contain myself. Only good thing about xmas. Wheeeeee!!!


eep! i'm excited for you and I'm excited for us that at least we get to watch it today!

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:18 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Posts: 4774
Location: Santa Cruz whoop whoop
And that means it'll be on the torrents soon too! Huzzah!

_________________
"Trolling an internet message board, The Greatest Activism Of All." - pandacookie
Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:52 pm 
Offline
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2466
Location: The Ether
Oh, man. I cried. I never cry. Eleven just gets to me.

_________________
Karyn is actually just a collection of horrible thoughts masquerading as a person. -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:35 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 4064
Location: St. Louis
DangerZone wrote:
Oh, man. I cried. I never cry. Eleven just gets to me.



me tooo, the bit with amy+rory got me. I was sitting in my grandparent's living room crying and eating pie and trying to explain "they're like his family, he hasn't had a family in soo loonnnggg, why are you guys laughing at me?"

_________________
Space has stared into the tiny syrup holes of our shame and it does not judge us. - Amandabear

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:12 pm 
Offline
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 4177
Location: the Eug
I was decidedly humany wumany.

_________________
Don't mind my breasts and vagina, I'm a gay man.---Idatetatooedguys.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:18 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 3947
Location: Graz, Austria
Did Eleven sound like Ten sometimes, or did I imagine that?
The plot was like a NaNoWriMo novel, but oh well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:24 pm 
Offline
Married to the wolfman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Posts: 6007
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
I like a good momventure! Also creepy trees. This left me satisfied.

_________________
"Hummus; a gentleman's vice." -- Mars

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:27 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 333
Location: QC
The thing about shouting at the children because they're happy and they're going to be sad when they find out... And the "mother ship"... Yes, I did cry. Twice.

Oh, and the Wooden King was gorgeous.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:26 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:22 am
Posts: 288
Location: Tasmania, Australia
ijustdiedinside wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
Oh, I meant to ask - everyone in the US seems to be saying Amy's all over the credits. Do y'all have different credits? Because all we have is the TARDIS flying through space/time with names flashing up, no people.


oh wow, really?! the US credits are annoying. even though I really like Amy, it makes it seem like it's a show about Amy and her sidekick the doctor. I can't find it on youtube, but it's an opening monologue with amy saying "when i was a little girl, i had an imaginary friend. when i grew up he came back..."


We get the Amy opening in Oz as well, it annoys me that it's every freaking week! And then I saw a downloaded episode from the UK at a friends and there was no Amy monologue. Awwww, they have a cooler opening credits than us. :(

_________________
“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” - Oscar Wilde


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:17 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5323
Location: Gallifrey
darksideknitter wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
Oh, I meant to ask - everyone in the US seems to be saying Amy's all over the credits. Do y'all have different credits? Because all we have is the TARDIS flying through space/time with names flashing up, no people.


oh wow, really?! the US credits are annoying. even though I really like Amy, it makes it seem like it's a show about Amy and her sidekick the doctor. I can't find it on youtube, but it's an opening monologue with amy saying "when i was a little girl, i had an imaginary friend. when i grew up he came back..."


We get the Amy opening in Oz as well, it annoys me that it's every freaking week! And then I saw a downloaded episode from the UK at a friends and there was no Amy monologue. Awwww, they have a cooler opening credits than us. :(

That's something that's always immensely bothered me about the show, too. I already don't like the character Amy, so it feels like even more of a slap in the face when they make at least the credits seem like it's an Amy-centered show when it's really been a show that's older than the actor is!

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:03 pm 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:15 pm
Posts: 1589
Location: Seattle!
I....didn't like the special. I mean, I did, but not in the way I love all other Who, from the sixties to 2010. Eleven doesn't have that special Who feel that's a little campy but still witty and intelligent.

Also, still freakin' hate Amy. Get a new companion already.

_________________
"Its really hard to keep in shape, my prison of principles only has so much pacing space." - Shy Mox

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:10 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5323
Location: Gallifrey
missdelaney wrote:
I....didn't like the special. I mean, I did, but not in the way I love all other Who, from the sixties to 2010. Eleven doesn't have that special Who feel that's a little campy but still witty and intelligent.

Also, still freakin' hate Amy. Get a new companion already.

You must be my Doctor Who twin. I agree on all of the above.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:04 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:24 pm
Posts: 383
Location: North Carolina
Mr. Shankly wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
I....didn't like the special. I mean, I did, but not in the way I love all other Who, from the sixties to 2010. Eleven doesn't have that special Who feel that's a little campy but still witty and intelligent.

Also, still freakin' hate Amy. Get a new companion already.

You must be my Doctor Who twin. I agree on all of the above.

Who triplets then;)

_________________
A bunny's a delightful habit, no home's complete without a rabbit.--Clare Newberry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:23 pm 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:15 pm
Posts: 1589
Location: Seattle!
Hoorah for the triplets!

_________________
"Its really hard to keep in shape, my prison of principles only has so much pacing space." - Shy Mox

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:48 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5323
Location: Gallifrey
Woohoo!

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:58 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:24 pm
Posts: 383
Location: North Carolina
WhooWhoo;)

_________________
A bunny's a delightful habit, no home's complete without a rabbit.--Clare Newberry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:20 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4708
Location: People's Republic of Glasgow
i actually cannot understand Amy-haters. Dead to me!

_________________
#sexysocialism

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:07 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:24 pm
Posts: 383
Location: North Carolina
I don't like Amy, but I even more agree with my fellow triplets that Doctor 11 (and most of the episodes since he's been the Doctor) is not as enjoyable as most of the previous 10 Doctors...not as witty and intelligent while still campy (as per my missdelaney triplet).

I know I was the only one who answered the person who asked about fav Doctor/episode (from all the seasons). It seems like this thread is more about current Doctor Who and when older Who is brought up, it usually doesn't get much chatter. I find that sad because I LOVE "classic" Who. I also love 9 & 10, but 11 I'm "meh" about...nice to have new episodes, but I pine for the ambience of the previous Whos.

_________________
A bunny's a delightful habit, no home's complete without a rabbit.--Clare Newberry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:24 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 pm
Posts: 1469
Tom Baker was the first Dr. I watched as a child. The only other one I really remember before the reboot is Sylvester McCoy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:11 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:24 pm
Posts: 383
Location: North Carolina
Tom Baker was my first too, but Colin Baker was my fav (maybe until DT)...which puts me in a tiny minority of Whovians.

_________________
A bunny's a delightful habit, no home's complete without a rabbit.--Clare Newberry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:36 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4708
Location: People's Republic of Glasgow
Whovian wrote:
I don't like Amy, but I even more agree with my fellow triplets that Doctor 11 (and most of the episodes since he's been the Doctor) is not as enjoyable as most of the previous 10 Doctors...not as witty and intelligent while still campy (as per my missdelaney triplet).

I know I was the only one who answered the person who asked about fav Doctor/episode (from all the seasons). It seems like this thread is more about current Doctor Who and when older Who is brought up, it usually doesn't get much chatter. I find that sad because I LOVE "classic" Who. I also love 9 & 10, but 11 I'm "meh" about...nice to have new episodes, but I pine for the ambience of the previous Whos.

I rewatched 9 onwards over the xmas holidays and I absolutely prefer 11 to the others. I was sooooo excited when Dr Who came back originally as I was a fan of Christopher Eccleston's work beforehand. I was not such a fan of him as the Dr though (at the time, and especially in retrospect) Same goes for Tennant. I LOVE 11. Love him.

As far as historical episodes go... I cannot answer that as I was a child when I watched them. I loved them, I know, but I could not tell you either the name of episodes nor any particular details.

Of course this thread is about the current shows... why would it be any other way?

Was "classic" Who even shown on normal US tv at the time? [ok, internets say it was on something called PBS... was that something readily available to normal folk who don't pay for spaceship teevee or whatever you guys do over there?)

Dr Who is a family tea-time show. It always has been. I remember growing up watching Sylvester McCoy and old episodes screened on Sunday afternoons. It seems to me that far too much pressure is put upon it these days to be some spectacularmaking thing... It's family viewing on prime-time BBC1 for goodness sake!

(Also, each block of episodes is a series, not a season. /UK)

_________________
#sexysocialism

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:49 pm 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 3020
interrobang?! wrote:
I rewatched 9 onwards over the xmas holidays and I absolutely prefer 11 to the others. I was sooooo excited when Dr Who came back originally as I was a fan of Christopher Eccleston's work beforehand. I was not such a fan of him as the Dr though (at the time, and especially in retrospect) Same goes for Tennant. I LOVE 11. Love him.

You and me both.

Quote:
Was "classic" Who even shown on normal US tv at the time? [ok, internets say it was on something called PBS... was that something readily available to normal folk who don't pay for spaceship teevee or whatever you guys do over there?)

PBS is our broadcast public television network. In the 70s and 80s it was the place to go for educational TV and British imports. And the occasional trippy experimental science fiction made-for-TV movie (some of them more successful than others).

These days it's like 90% Deepak Chopra specials. I can't fully express how much that pains me.

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:22 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 4064
Location: St. Louis
Whovian wrote:
Tom Baker was my first too, but Colin Baker was my fav (maybe until DT)...which puts me in a tiny minority of Whovians.



Tom Baker was my first, but I loved Peter Davison a lot.
I only got to watch classic who when I was younger because my grandpa had taped a bunch of episodes when they were doing re-runs and stuff (I gre up in the dark who-less period of time, broadcast-wise).
I have watched all the doctor who that is available, and while I can see the obvious differences between the classic and new who, I love them both equally.

I think I love all of them equally for different reasons.

no hate for any doctors or companions on my part. I love everyone.

_________________
Space has stared into the tiny syrup holes of our shame and it does not judge us. - Amandabear

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:54 am 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:24 pm
Posts: 383
Location: North Carolina
interrobang?! wrote:
Of course this thread is about the current shows... why would it be any other way?

Was "classic" Who even shown on normal US tv at the time? [ok, internets say it was on something called PBS... was that something readily available to normal folk who don't pay for spaceship teevee or whatever you guys do over there?)


I understand that this thread is mainly about current Who. That's why when the other person's thread (which they started elsewhere) was moved here by a moderator, it got swallowed up, so it probably should've been left in its own thread and perhaps labeled "Classic Doctor Who."

As another PPKer already mentioned, classic who was broadcast here and it is not some pay channel which was hard to get. It was also great because they tended to show the whole story instead of one episode at a time.

I still prefer pre-11 Who as my fellow triplets said and for the reasons stated. I've also found 11's episodes to have even less palatable explanations for why/how things work in the Who universe, but maybe that's because of the timeline changes. Regardless, I like 11, but he's worse than all the previous Doctors IMO, though obviously I'm in the minority here.

Also, to me a season is one year's worth of a show as it is called in the U.S. I have found it extremely frustrating (and greedy on the BBC's part) that classic Who is only released as each story (so around 90 minutes) instead of a whole year's worth of episodes like most TV shows available on DVD--including new Doctor Who "series."

_________________
A bunny's a delightful habit, no home's complete without a rabbit.--Clare Newberry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:09 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:26 pm
Posts: 102
Location: East Dallas
I'm a big fan of classic Who. I adore David Tennant, but Tom Baker will always be 'the doctor' for me.

Not a fan of the current doctor... at all. :-\


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1069 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 43  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer