| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Doc Martens are back!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

linerepetition wrote:
jessilikewhoa wrote:
I wish they would release vegan mary janes, or cute wingtip oxfords.

i wish the same. i've always liked their boots, but since i have two other pairs of black boots i'd really rather have mary janes. since they've released the new vegan ones i've been wondering if they'll release new styles or colors. so i emailed them and this is the message i got back:

"Thanks for the inquiry. There will be a new Vegan mary jane style this spring, but we don't have plans to offer other colors or styles yet. They are new this fall."

Oooh, I think I might know what I'll be asking for for my birthday in April. Vegan Doc Marten mary janes. Squee!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I find the soles of DMs usually crack after about 6 months, boots I've had from Vegetarian Shoes and Veganline have both lasted longer (Veganline are definitely the hardest wearing boots I've had).

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:51 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

holylopez wrote:
I bought a pair a while back, they are so comfortable. I remember having leather docs when I was younger that took forever (and many blisters) to wear in but these haven't given me one blister. I luff them so much.

I got them from the Covent Garden Doc Martens shop, the shop assistant said that lots of non-veg people had been buying them because the material is nice and the soles are a lower profile than standard docs, she was saying they have to say to people "these are NOT leather, you can't return them because they're NOT leather!" but people have been buying them anyway. She said they were selling much better than expected and that they might be expanding the range because of this.

That's what I was wondering about. I had like three weeks of heel bleeding that I never want to go through again. I've stayed away from most boots this style because of this, actually. Now I'm curious again..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mine have broken in very well. No blisters.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

jessilikewhoa wrote:
Vegan Doc Marten mary janes. Squee!

I can't wait for Spring to get here. I will begin saving up as soon as my part time pittance starts rolling in.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:56 am 
Tofu Pup

OMG OMG OMG I'VE BEEN IN THE MARKET FOR DOC-MARTEN-TYPE SHOES. THEY MAKE VEGAN ONES? DSJFODSJOIFJOSIJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:14 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

ndpittman wrote:
That's what I was wondering about. I had like three weeks of heel bleeding that I never want to go through again. I've stayed away from most boots this style because of this, actually. Now I'm curious again..

i have pewter ones, but they didn't require any breaking in to speak of. it was a whole different (vegan) animal than when i had my heels permanently scarred by leather docs way back when.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

my heels are just fine, just saying.. and I just walked 2 miles in them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:51 am 

I got a pair! Black 8-eye. I was anxious to get them and I got a 6 instead of a 7. They fit fine but I did get a little blistery and pained. I'm hoping this is just me breaking them in. Otherwise I love em.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:04 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I've had a lovely pair of vegan docs for about two weeks now! I have worn them everyday everywhere: to school, to the city, to the ocean. My job is basically playing with preschoolers in the rain so I needed a nice pair of water-resistant shoes to keep from having miserably soggy feet all winter. These certainly do the trick. Anyway, if you'd like to see a pair of UK size 4 "cherry red" (they are more of a brown) vegan Dr. Marten's that have been worn hard for the past couple of weeks, follow this link:

http://imgur.com/Juuc4

If anyone is wondering about how they fit: I have small wide feet, small ankles, and big calves and they are incredibly comfortable. The backs were giving blisters on my ankles for the first two days, but I fixed that by hitting the backs with a hammer a few times each.

Basically, these are the first pair of nice shoes I've ever had and I am a fangirl.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

So, my black 8-holes arrived a couple of days ago!

I was a bit apprehensive because I hadn’t tried them on, the range is too new to know how they’ll hold up, and £100 is more than I’ve ever spent on footwear. But as the cold weather approaches, I didn’t want to spend another winter choosing between hi-top Converse (with two pairs of socks) and these ugly suede hiking boots I bought before I became vegan. Anyway, I found them for £79.99 on Amazon, and gave them a shot.

I ordered a size 8 (my regular size) which, on my left foot, felt a bit narrow (I must have one foot wider than the other), with my little to rubbing on the side of the shoe, and my foot feeling kinda’ squeezed. This is quite common for me with canvas shoes (Converse, Vans, etc) and they tend to widen out after a few days, so I’ve kept them.

Yesterday I wore them with two pairs of (medium thickness) boot socks and that seems to have stretched them out a bit, and walking around town today (one pair of socks) seems to have helped too. Hopefully they’ll feel just right in a few days (I’ll keep you posted). Other than that, they’re very comfortable (no rubbing on the heals), they seem well constructed and the material is really nice and soft.

Anyway, I think it’s great that Dr. Martens are making a vegan range once again. It’s just a shame that, whilst the build and materials are as good as their main range (obviously, the materials are better!), they’re kinda’ marketed as a second-rate product: you can’t really find them in shops, they’re not well promoted on their own site (I’d like to see more information about looking after the boots, and how the material is expected to age) and they’re only available in a very limited number of styles and colours.

Hopefully these are a success, and they’ll continue to produce and improve upon their vegan range.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:03 am 

I am going for it and ordering some now without trying on. I am 7.5 in US sizes so I got a UK 6. I hope that's right. I do need a lot of toe room, just hoping they aren't big on my heels. I have free returns, so it will get sorted eventually. I am going to be on my feet a lot at my new job so I would rather get one really comfy pair of shoes than a bunch of cheap ones that just make them hurt more. I still want the mary janes when they come out though.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been wearing mine regularly for a few months now, and they're still feeling/looking great. I am having to wear thicker socks and lace them pretty tight though. I think since they're unisex, they're sized a little wider than if they were women's shoes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:20 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I really want to buy a pair, but it's a bit risky without being able to try them on first... I'm not sure what size I should order for my US size 6 1/2 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:48 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I haven't seen them in a physical shop anywhere so ended up getting some online. I went with my regular size which is an 8. I thought about sizing down after reading some of the comments that they come up big but figured since I have pretty wide feet and am on the larger side of an 8, I'd stick with the usual.

I've not had any problems when wearing them yet. They are roomy, maybe a little too wide but I think that's better than being too tight. Not experienced any rubbing or blister issues yet but I haven't done excessive amounts of walking in them.

So far I love them! They have taken me back to my school days when my uniform shoe of choice was a pair of black 8 holers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:54 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

For rubbing parts on footwear, rub the offending spot with hard soap, it works for footballers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:11 am 

I had to send mine back, they are perfect as far as toe room, but way too loose on my heels. I want to try the boots on at a store and maybe go for those instead. They were comfy so I can't wait to find the right pair.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I just bought a pair of the black oxfords. I walked in them for about an hour and it got really really painful. I know that they'll eventually get broken in but it's a process I'm not excited about. Other than the pain, I really love them. I got mine in my normal shoe size and I think they fit great. I've been planning on buying the boots since the line came out but on a whim today I decided to get the oxfords instead. I just really hope they don't murder my heals.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:23 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Been wearing mine for a few months and theyre great

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

carrotflower wrote:
I just bought a pair of the black oxfords. I walked in them for about an hour and it got really really painful. I know that they'll eventually get broken in but it's a process I'm not excited about. Other than the pain, I really love them. I got mine in my normal shoe size and I think they fit great. I've been planning on buying the boots since the line came out but on a whim today I decided to get the oxfords instead. I just really hope they don't murder my heals.

I had to wear bandaids on my heels the first couple times I wore them, but then mine were fine. Just give them a few days!

I also have to wear really thick socks and lace them tightly to keep them from rubbing. I guess they're a little spacious since they're men's sizes?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:29 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I tried on a UK6 (my normal size) and they had perfect toe room but were way too loose at the back. I ended up getting a 5 which felt perfect in the shop but they rub & get super painful after ~1 hour of walking. It turns out the way to fix that is to hit the back/heel area with a hammer before putting them on, every time I've done that they've been super comfy all day / night!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:04 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Just as a counter point to all these horror stories about breaking in Dr. Martens, I've had the vegan oxfords since October and they've never hurt my feet. I started wearing them every day to my almost 40-hour per week retail job as soon as I got them, and they're the most comfortable shoes I own.

Also, if anyone's wondering about sizing, I'm normally a US women's 6.5-7, and the UK 4 fits me perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My husband just ordered me the t-strap mary janes for our anniversary, they get here tomorrow and I'm excited! We ordered the UK 7 because I wear an 8.5-9, but now I'm afraid they'll be too big. Fingers are crossed.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:03 pm 
Tofu Pup

Does anyone ride a bike in DMs? The boots I wore all last winter had a bit of a heel, so if my foot slipped, the pedal would catch on the heel and I wouldn't wobble all over the place. If the vegan DMs are the same, I might have to get a pair for this winter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:44 am 
So Totally Yiffy

They have a couple new styles now. Purple and t strap, I'm obsessed with the purple!! They're glossy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next