| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: packing lunch - what did you bring today?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:52 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I always bring leftovers to work but my absolute favourite is chickpea cutlets in a wholemeal bap with garlic mayo and a little bit of something green and leafy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:03 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm eating out with a friend today... which is good because I didn't have a clue what I was going to bring for lunch!

I'm going to take notes from this thread when I do next week's meal "planning" (planning in the vaguest sense of the word).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:39 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Everyday chickpea and quinoa salad from AFR except with store-bought balsamic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

brown rice pasta with marinara and italian-style tvp.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:23 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Leftover quinoa puttanesca, an apple, a banana and (naughty!) a Go Max Go Twilight bar.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:30 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

leftover tofu scramble and some almonds

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:00 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

happyfaced wrote:
brown rice pasta with marinara and italian-style tvp.

This. But instead of the tvp I packed two pepita sunflower sesame burgers. Recipe here.
I pack lunch everyday out of necessity. There are no restaurants that serve vegetarian or vegan food nearby. Usually I cook the night before.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:14 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

leftover lemon & garlic mushrooms & favas, mashed potatoes & broccoli. now i want a cupcake. no, wait, do vegan cream puffs exist?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

joyfulgirl wrote:

This - only no red onions and with just some balsamic vinegar and a bit of oil. Just bought AFR yesterday and I'm so excited about it! Tonight's dinner will be blackened tofu :)

Also brought a little bit of leftover V'con Jumbalaya for lunch.

Breakfast was mint chip smoothie. 2nd breakfast is about to be oatmeal. 2nd lunch/snack is Ezekiel bread w/ peanut butter and a homemade energy bar (the Apple Quinoa ones from Thrive).

I LOVE bringing my own food to work - working downtown by a million food carts and newly opened Sizzle Pie makes it near impossible to save money/eat right - but bringing all of these goodies keeps me the right track!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:27 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

left over pizza with peppers, broccoli and olives and 2 blood oranges. I also had some grapes we had left over at work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

rainbowwine wrote:
Breakfast was mint chip smoothie.

I want to know more about this! It sounds good.

I'm forcing myself to eat the underwhelming salad I didn't eat yesterday, but tonight I'm making the sanctuary chef salad (is that the name?) from AFR for the rest of the week.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Cornelie wrote:
Pita with TVP döner kebab and garlic sauce (heated in toaster)

I think we need to hear more about this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

I work long days, so I usually eat both lunch and dinner at work. I almost always bring my own food, although there is an all-veg/mostly vegan Indian place nearby and sometimes the craving for samosas gets to be too much and I go eat there.

Today I had a Jamaican curry seitan patty (tester recipe for Terry's new book). So so good! I'd never used Jamaican curry powder before, and now I'm kind of obsessed. So I also had a non-Terry Jamaican vegetable curry to go with it.

Dinner tonight is a slightly modified version of Tami's Smoky Cauliflower and Bean Soup. Also really good, will be sad to finish it up today. And a couple of kiwis to cool off after. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:49 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

rainbowwine wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:

This - only no red onions and with just some balsamic vinegar and a bit of oil. Just bought AFR yesterday and I'm so excited about it! Tonight's dinner will be blackened tofu :)

Also brought a little bit of leftover V'con Jumbalaya for lunch.

Breakfast was mint chip smoothie. 2nd breakfast is about to be oatmeal. 2nd lunch/snack is Ezekiel bread w/ peanut butter and a homemade energy bar (the Apple Quinoa ones from Thrive).

I LOVE bringing my own food to work - working downtown by a million food carts and newly opened Sizzle Pie makes it near impossible to save money/eat right - but bringing all of these goodies keeps me the right track!

I would be so bad at eating my own lunch if I had Sizzle Pie to tempt me!!

Today I brought cous cous with broccoli and chickpeas with mustard dressing that I made up, and nooch. Lots of nooch on top.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:41 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Oh man, I made a last minute emergency lunch last night and it came out SO GOOD. I am going to put this into my rotation.

Quinoa, tossed with fresh parsley, topped with tofu (baked or fried), then topped with Goddess dressing from AFR (I just made this for the first time recently... is there anything this dressing CAN'T do?!). A side of steamed brussels sprouts with salt and pepper.

Healthy, and so delicious and easy! I predict variations on this becoming a staple of my diet.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:04 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I had more of the Morrocan Tangine from VWAV (where has this been all my life? so good)

and half a low-carb/low-calorie pita filled with some home made hummus, steamed green beans and some salsa.

I LOVE these new low-carb pitas i found at the store. i really try and stay away from carbs (like pasta, bread etc) but these are really high in fiber and taste better than any store bought pita i have ever had.

It was a really filling lunch. but kind of um....how do i say this delicately?

i have to poop.

there i said it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

B_A_D wrote:
Cornelie wrote:
Pita with TVP döner kebab and garlic sauce (heated in toaster).

I think we need to hear more about this.

:-) Ok. At the start of the week, I soak some large size TVP (preferably strips) in hot water with soy sauce, preferably overnight. When well soaked, I squeeze out the excess moisture. The squeezed TVP goes into a non-stick frying pan, along with some oil and a lot of spices. Traditional kebab spices are spicy paprika, black pepper and a little nutmeg and cinnamon. I like to add some cumin. Alternatively I mix in harissa or mild hot sauce. I fry the TVP over medium heat until it's nicely browned. When cooled, I store the fried TVP in a plastic container in the fridge or freezer.

When it's time for me to pack my lunch, I fill some pre-baked pitas with the TVP and garlic mayo. At work, I put the filled pitas in the sandwich maker or toaster until they are heated and crispy. They can be heated in the microwave, but then you will get a pliable pita (not a bad thing, just different). I might also bring some lettuce to add a 'green element' to my lunch.

Another variation to the pita-in-toaster theme: fill with apple slices and a little cinnamon. When heated, this will produce an instant pita-apple-turnover thingy.

Last edited by Cornelie on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:09 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Chicki wrote:
I LOVE these new low-carb pitas i found at the store. i really try and stay away from carbs (like pasta, bread etc) but these are really high in fiber and taste better than any store bought pita i have ever had.

i have to poop.

there i said it.

What are the pitas made of, ingredient wise? I would love to make my own low carb pitas. And poop is good!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:33 pm 
Impressive boner

Smoky split pea soup.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:48 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Cornelie wrote:
Chicki wrote:

i have to poop.

there i said it.

What are the pitas made of, ingredient wise? I would love to make my own low carb pitas. And poop is good!

I'll check the ingredients when i get home and post them tomorrow.

and having to poop at work is not good. I am weird about it at work. there are like 200 employees here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Joseph's makes Soy Protein pitas, made with soy flour, and they're amazingly good. Trader Joe's used to have them repackaged, but I haven't checked for them there in a while.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Also, today for lunch I dropped the ball and had to buy sushi and salad at the grocery store for lunch. This year I'm trying to bring lunch to work every single day, unless I'm meeting friends or something.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:03 pm 
Saggy Butt

Amy wrote:
rainbowwine wrote:
Breakfast was mint chip smoothie.

I want to know more about this! It sounds good.

I'm forcing myself to eat the underwhelming salad I didn't eat yesterday, but tonight I'm making the sanctuary chef salad (is that the name?) from AFR for the rest of the week.

My friend really turned me onto these! Take banana, non-dairy milk (I use almond milk or water+soy milk powder), spinach, chocolate (I used carob powder and it worked like a charm), and just a couple drops of peppermint extract. Blend. SO GOOD. If you're worried about greens in shakes, trust me, you barely taste the spinach. You can even add protein powder and dha oil to have a meal replacement. Great way to start the day!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:52 pm 
Naked Under Apron

rainbowwine wrote:
My friend really turned me onto these! Take banana, non-dairy milk (I use almond milk or water+soy milk powder), spinach, chocolate (I used carob powder and it worked like a charm), and just a couple drops of peppermint extract. Blend. SO GOOD. If you're worried about greens in shakes, trust me, you barely taste the spinach. You can even add protein powder and dha oil to have a meal replacement. Great way to start the day!

I am a fan of greens in smoothies- thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Today is another round of leftover tempeh, sloppy joe style. I had to bring 1st dinner with me (I usually eat 2 dinners) since I'm going straight to the gym after work, so that is a tofurky slices sandwich on an english muffin with mustard and mayo. Also, a luna bar, just in case I'm still hungry.

I had early meetings today and bought breakfast. I try not to do that, but the chai and cranberry nut roll were super good!

Tomorrow is easy, eating out with a friend. I'll definitely eat my cereal for breakfast though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next