| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's meet up in Amsterdam!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:54 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Yay!!! This is going to be epic! Choco Dinkel Ballz for everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Eek, I haven't been feeling well at all today! Send me some healthy vibes pls. I don't want to be sick tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Bun wrote:
Eek, I haven't been feeling well at all today! Send me some healthy vibes pls. I don't want to be sick tomorrow!

Do you have ginger for ginger tea?

Sending healthy vibes, but do go to bed early just to get some extra rest.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:57 pm 

Oh no Bun!!! Sending you super healthy vibes and lots of virtual vitamin C! Hope you have a good rest and feel better in the morning!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lepelaar wrote:
Doesn't cornelie also live not too far from Amsterdam?

Yes I do! But I've arranged to meet a friend in Nijmegen, so I can't be at this meetup. Maybe next time?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:50 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Woke up fresh as a daisy! See you all at 12:00!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:00 am 

Excellent Bun! Glad the vibes worked! I'm on the train from the airport. So far, I like Amsterdam! You can buy tulips bulbs in the airport!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh boy, I am so sad to have missed this.

I am newly vegan and in desperate need of a more vegan friendly space around me. I would have loved to meet you all. Please tell me that you all have regular meetups, so I can join a next time.

Also, I'm looking for a vegan community, cooking classes, meet-ups, cafe's and other vegan friendly spaces where I can meet fellow vegans in the Netherlands. (I live in Utrecht myself.) Do you have any suggestions for me where to find fellow minded people? I'm having quite a hard time with other people's reactions (unfortunately, especially my significant other who disagrees with me and deems veganism a cult and calls information about veganism propaganda) and I could really use the support.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:36 am 

Paloma wrote:

I am newly vegan and in desperate need of a more vegan friendly space around me. I would have loved to meet you all. Please tell me that you all have regular meetups, so I can join a next time.

Where do you live?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:50 am 
Saggy Butt

Paloma wrote:

Also, I'm looking for a vegan community, cooking classes, meet-ups, cafe's and other vegan friendly spaces where I can meet fellow vegans in the Netherlands. (I live in Utrecht myself.) Do you have any suggestions for me where to find fellow minded people? I'm having quite a hard time with other people's reactions (unfortunately, especially my significant other who disagrees with me and deems veganism a cult and calls information about veganism propaganda) and I could really use the support.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Paloma! I'm so sorry you feel your loved ones aren't supportive of your decision to go vegan. I'm not sure how long it's been for you, but maybe it just takes some time? My family weren't exactly thrilled when I stopped eating animal products (for various reasons, probably), but after a while I guess they came to accept it. I think it helped that I did a lot of cooking and baking that made them realise vegan food isn't quite as nasty as they might've expected.

As for meeting like-minded people, I do know there's a small group of vegans from Utrecht on a different forum and they meet up and cook together every once in a while. Maybe you could check that out here. But I'd also love to meet up for a future PPK meetup! maybe in Utrecht or Den Haag (or another city - I haven't explored that many vegan-friendly places outside of the Randstad...)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 am 

Hey Bonnie and Eric. Thanks for the reply. :-)

1)
I live in Utrecht, the Netherlands.

2)
Thanks for the Nederlandse Vereniging voor Veganisme tip. Also, I joined a veg*an group on Meetup.com, and deceided to jump right in and join their dinner meet-up this saturday. Slightly scared, but I'm excited too.

3)
It's been 2 months right now. I am absolutely sure that things will get better.

- My mum and my best friend have been the best. Both of them take great pride in coming up with delicious meals for us to share, and my bestie even started cooking a lot more vegetarian and vegan things herself. She texts me every time she cooks something vegan. I don't expect her to turn vegan, but I love it that she travels along in my vegan slipstream.

- So yeah. My special man friend sees information from vegan friendly sources about nutrition, animal rights and plant based diets is propaganda and groups it in with people who wear aluminum hats because they're afraid of earth rays and cancer from cell phones. Therefore, everything I say to convince him that I am being responsible in my choices is denounced as me being a victim from misinformation. Personally, I think he's a victim of the meat/dairy propaganda, so I don't think we'll agree on this soon. All we can do is just agree to disagree and find a solution for practicalities like shared meals. The most important thing is, we do so great with everything else besides the disagreement on veganism. However, at times it feels like I damaged a great functioning relationship by becoming a vegan, and that sucks.

- Other friends of mine occasionally say the usual ignorant things that people say to vegans. Pretty much everything that's being said in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UTOL-HlH0UI But yeah, like you say, that'll grow over. I usually try to inform them as best as I can, I pick my battles and most importantly: I'll win them over by cooking delicious things and pointing out that there's a ton of things that are vegan that they don't think of as being vegan. Isa's Pure Chocolate Cake receipe has been a big hit at the recent movie night. :)

Asides from the issue with my partner, it's not too severe. But I long for a community where I can just BE. Where being vegan is the norm for a change, where I'm accepted and not being difficult. Where people share my passion. Where we can laugh about silly comments, and just get on talking about more important stuff.

You know ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:59 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Hey, I work in Utrecht! Let's hang out!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:37 pm 

Utrecht flicks the weasel !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm 

Paloma wrote:
Utrecht flicks the weasel !

Flicks the weasel, PPK? Really?

Does this website prevent people from using colloquialisms and other forms of inappropriate slang ? ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Yup.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:36 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Bonnie wrote:
I haven't explored that many vegan-friendly places outside of the Randstad...)

There's no such thing. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:08 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Now I'm curious what "flicks the weasel" is a filter for.

Welcome Paloma! Sorry to hear that your partner is less than understanding about your choice. Have you talked to him about your personal reasons for making this decision? Normally, I'd be all about hitting someone with the facts/logical argument, but as he doesn't seem open to hearing any of that at this point, maybe he just needs to hear how you feel about this decision. At the moment, it sounds like you two might be in a tug-of-war over who's right, and that type of situation makes it hard to back down. But I think it's easier in a loving relationship for people to accept a situation they don't understand or agree with, as long as it makes the other person happy. Good luck, and I'm sure it'll get better when the situation is less new. (And how cool that your mom and best friend are being so supportive!)

Maybe see you at a future gathering! :)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 am 

lepelaar wrote:
Now I'm curious what "flicks the weasel" is a filter for.

For The Win. (But it probably does not show that either.)

Quote:
Welcome Paloma!

Thanks a lot ! I feel warmly welcomed here. :)

Quote:
At the moment, it sounds like you two might be in a tug-of-war over who's right, and that type of situation makes it hard to back down.

If there's anything I'm trying to avoid, it's that type of discussion. We haven't had a big one yet and I noticed pretty early on that we're not getting anywhere if we try to convince the other person with facts. I guess we both run on a different belief system, and we'll just have to live with that for the time being. The conversation we had about it mostly felt like we were a Christian and a scientist talking about the origin of the world. They probably won't get to an agreement at the end of the conversation either.

Quote:
But I think it's easier in a loving relationship for people to accept a situation they don't understand or agree with, as long as it makes the other person happy.

I guess the reason why I feel bummed out about this whole thing is because we're not there yet. I tried to do my best on my side of the equation and show my understanding of his hesitation about it all, that it's acceptable not to be over the moon with all my particular decisions. Because I'm a different person.

Quote:
Maybe see you at a future gathering! :)

I'd love to ! So, when there's a meeting coming up, you just open a new topic in this forum, or is there some sort of common PPK The Netherlands Topic ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:15 am 

Paloma wrote:
I'd love to ! So, when there's a meeting coming up,

- Early in June, in Amsterdam, on a Wednesday or Thursday. "we" haven't decided yet, but I plan to sent out PM's to all dutch/flemish persons in this thread kind of soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:56 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Can't some awesome moderator make us a Holland/Belgium/Germany forum in the square? That would totally rock! The PPK invades continental Europe!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh yay! I can probably make it on a Wednesday or Thursday! Those are fixed days off for me.

I suspect there wouldn't be enough threads about NL/Belgium/Germany specifically to warrant a separate sub-forum, but maybe we could get one for continental Europe? After all, there's a UK/Ireland sub-forum.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

lepelaar wrote:
Oh yay! I can probably make it on a Wednesday or Thursday! Those are fixed days off for me.

I suspect there wouldn't be enough threads about NL/Belgium/Germany specifically to warrant a separate sub-forum, but maybe we could get one for continental Europe? After all, there's a UK/Ireland sub-forum.

I agree with this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Veg_Eric wrote:
Paloma wrote:
I'd love to ! So, when there's a meeting coming up,

- Early in June, in Amsterdam, on a Wednesday or Thursday. "we" haven't decided yet, but I plan to sent out PM's to all dutch/flemish persons in this thread kind of soon.

Will there be an update in the forum too? I'm interested in visiting Amsterdam (haven't been since I was a toddler, and would like to travel more) and would love to combine that with a meet-up, or would that be a problem if I don't speak Dutch? (I can try to learn for a few months though!)

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:01 am 

dropscone wrote:
Will there be an update in the forum too? I'm interested in visiting Amsterdam (haven't been since I was a toddler, and would like to travel more) and would love to combine that with a meet-up, or would that be a problem if I don't speak Dutch? (I can try to learn for a few months though!)

Well, by writing here we all prove that we've mastered the English language. So that's taken care of. The more the merrier, I say.

Where would you be travelling from ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:00 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I know you can all speak English, I just thought that at a social meet-up people might prefer to speak their native language and it might be irksome to have some monolingual person show up and politeness dictate that they'd have to be accommodated. Looks like I was incorrect in my assumption, thanks for saying I'd be welcome! I'd be travelling from the Midlands in the UK.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next