All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

What should I doooo?
Quit the retail job 47%  47%  [ 15 ]
Remain available nights and weekends 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Remain available nights 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Remain available weekends 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Get a tattoo of a potato on your ankle 25%  25%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 32
 Post subject: Advise me, PPK! (Work and school question)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:12 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

So! I just got an email that I got a job I had interviewed for as an aid in a preschool classroom. Hurrah! There's a set schedule of 16.5 hours a week, working M/W/F from 7:30am-1pm. I'm also going to be in school three days a week, taking full-time classes. I was planning on quitting my (fairly low-paying retail) job if I got this job, but I'm wondering if it seems doable to keep both jobs? I've been at this store for two years, and from now through summer, hours are usually pretty scarce; we'd get maybe 5-15 hours a week even with fully open availability. With that in mind, it seems manageable--on the other hand, I have a tendency to bite off way more than I can chew, and I do want some time to socialize and stuff. Am I being a wimp quitting the one job? Am I being a superhero if I stay?

I figure that I have three options: quit at the store, remain at the store and available on weekends and non school-nights during the week, or to remain at the store for nights only/weekends only. I really have no experience with this kind of thing, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas/advice/anecdotes. I figure I'm going to go talk to my boss tomorrow.

I guess I have a Twitter now

Post subject: Re: Advise me, PPK! (Work and school question)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:27 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Keep your weekends free if you don't NEED to work two jobs to get by. But I'd say remaining available for the non school weeknights isn't a bad plan if you like your job. Working 20-30 hours a week plus full time studying is do-able.

I did the whole work 35 hours a week, study full time, AND be a single mom thing for quite a while, and I had no time for myself at all. I would not have done that if I didn't have to. Or, if I didn't love my job, I probably would have found another way around it.

If you at least have two free days a week, it makes bustin' butt from dawn til... well dawn again for 5 days straight work out without burning out. I sure could have used two days off a week!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:34 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Don't work two jobs and go to school full time if you can help it. It's probably not as doable as you think.

Love, chronic bite off too mucher.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Congratulations on getting the job! I prefer to have a lot going on too. I find that it keeps me motivated. When I was a FT student I worked on campus and I worked in the photo lab (when they used to exist). It was probably 35ish hours a week and I still got good grades and spent time wirh my friends.

I'd say to talk to your manager at the retail store and say that you'll take lower priority than others for hours for a while until you get settled with the new job and classes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:43 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

you're not a wimp and you won't be a superhero if you stay at both jobs. you'll just be miserable. if you really need the money, then of course, do it, but if not, don't put yourself through that. you need some down time and if you're going to have homework and papers to write and those sorts of things then you need time to do them well. unless you think you'll really want this retail job again, don't work out a deal with the manager. they will want you to stay and work some hours and you'll end up covering for people and working when you should probably be studying. just make a clean break of the retail job or don't take the preschool job. make school your priority if at all possible and also put your social life and free time up there at the top of your list of important things. you'll be happier this way!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:43 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

As another one who bites off too much sometimes, I'd say keep the retail job for now and see what it's like once you start classes and your other job. If it seems like too much, then you can quit or talk to your manager about reducing your hours, but if it doesn't then you've got a bit more spending money, assuming your new job covers all your expenses.

ETA: I should add that I'm one who likes being busy and when I'm not, I always feel like I should/could be doing more, so take my advice with that in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:46 pm 

i guess i should also add that i hate being busy and I prioritize my free time for tv watching, reading, etc... i break down really easily if i'm too busy, so that might not be your sitch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I have a tendency to overschedule myself... like some other people said, I like feeling super busy and feel like it helps me stay focused. But, I don't know what your school/program is like. When I was in college, I generally worked 15+ hrs/wk and along with extracurriculars and a full course load, that meant I was pretty solidly booked more or less constantly. 5 or 10 more hours of a work a week would probably have been too much for me.

But yeah, I would talk to your boss about it. Maybe you can stay on as an on-call sort of person-- if someone calls out or something, they could call you to maybe come in? Always nice to keep your connections where you can.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:59 pm 

I should also add that I mean superhero in a more sarcastic way. But anyways, I'm definitely going to take the preschool job--I'm in school to be a teacher, so this is really important experience, and would look better on a resume than "Worked at (store) for 5 years." Also important: I'll be jobless for the summer if I quit at the store, although I suppose I could try a temp agency or something. My parents are willing to support me until I have my bachelors deree, so it's not that I absolutely need the money to survive, but in all honesty, I think I'm a bit old for that and I feel like a leech when I don't work as much as possible. I appreciate everyone's feedback so far!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You'll hate yourself if you work both jobs. It's hard enough to work one job and go to school!

eta: Totes get the tattoo.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:13 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i think if you think you should, you should do it. Especially if you make it clear to the store that it will be low-priority during the school year. It's not like school or your store job is new and unknown- you know what they entail, and you still think it's a possibility, so why not? And if you try the new teaching job, and it's too much, you can always quit the other job later, can't you?

I'm another chronic over-committer. My senior year of college, I worked 2 part time jobs on campus (35+ hrs) and another one on weekends and holidays. One was the internship in my field, which I needed desperately. An editing job gave me design skills and paid well, and then there was the weekend job in New York, which I took purely for the "why the hell not" factor. I think about it now, and I financially could have probably done just as well without working so much, and had a more relaxed senior year and a better social life, but I never would have become the writer I am without the editing job, and never would have had the courage to take the leap to go live abroad alone if i hadn't worked for the crazy music agency in New York. My friends wondered why i was always running around, and i missed a lot of drinking, mainly, but not much else. If nothing else, I got to be very, very organized and disciplined.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:27 pm 

ha. i appear to be the only chronically lazy person on the ppk!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:36 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I think that it depends on you. For some people, it might be better to have the free time to focus on school and on a job that will actually advance you towards bigger goals. I doubt (from what you've said) you want to work in retail in the long run, but you might want to work with children, in which case it is important to do well in your new job. On the other hand, if you're going to use the free time that you get from quitting the retail job doing things that won't really help with your studying or your larger goals, you might benefit more from a tighter schedule.

I wouldn't do it. You said that the retail job is low-paying, and if you're only working 5-15 hours per week, dropping the job won't have a huge impact on your income. I don't know your financial situation, so if keeping the job would give you enough extra pay to make you significantly happier with you living situation, then you should do it. On the other hand, you shouldn't give up all of your free time for a little bit of money. Of course, it sounds like you might want the retail job in the summer. Talk to your boss, and see if you can be put on an extended leave for the semester, or something like that, and be rehired in the summer. I was able to do that with my job and it allowed me to do better in school than I think I would have if I had continued working.

ETA: I didn't see your second post. Even if you do keep the retail job, you'll probably want to find another job during the summer anyway, since you'd only be getting 5-15 hours from the retail job. Either way, I don't think the retail job seems very important, and I think whether you keep it or not you'll be happy, because you job the preschool job you wanted. Congrats on that!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:04 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Quit the retail job. Working with the preschoolers is going to be fun, but EXHAUSTING! You'll want time to decompress, as well as to be able to focus on your studies. If you find that you have more time than you know what to do with, you can always add on another job later, but it's best to start with something manageable and then build up from there.

Congrats on getting the preschool position!!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:05 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I'd keep the job if I were you, at least for know. See how it goes. If it turns out to be too much, quit. Even if you do get 15 hours at the store, that's still not full time when combined with your other job. Maybe just commit to weekends at the retail job so your weekdays won't be too long. Or just tell them you'll work one day a week. If hours are low there, odds are they won't have a problem giving the extra hours to someone else. Then when you're on break from school, maybe you can increase your hours. I would personally feel safer if I knew I had a job lined up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:13 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

ijustdiedinside wrote:
ha. i appear to be the only chronically lazy person on the ppk!

Definitely not!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:23 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'd quit the retail job if I didn't need to financially. I worked a lot and went to school and really regret not having time for my friends for awhile.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:45 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

DarthCupcake wrote:
Working with the preschoolers is going to be fun, but EXHAUSTING!

This.

From experience, I can say that working with children is going to physically, emotionally and mentally drain you (though it will also be immensely rewarding!). If you can possibly do without the retail job,then do.

(edited for grammar)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:33 pm 
Chip Strong

I'd definitely quit the retail job if you feel like you'll be ok financially about it. It's not worth it; you want to get the most out of study, and your interesting, relevant work as possible. If you're rushed off your feet, you probably won't be able to do that.

How do-able is finding a summer job? I guess that's also gotta factor into it. Also, will it be possible to save some of the money from the preschool job to help with any fun expenses over the summer (going out with friends, etc - that way you're only dependent on your parents for necessities, which maybe takes off some of the stress of feeling like a moocher)?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:20 pm 
Naked Under Apron

i chose "get a tattoo of a potato on your ankle" because it totally took me back the “Wayside School is Falling Down” days. so awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Being in a situation where not working full time is not an option and school definitely sits on the back burner (I'm taking 10 credits a quarter- 15, so one more class, would be full time), I wouldn't have the option. Like others said, though, working with kids is exhausting and I wouldn't do both if I didn't absolutely have to.
Your parents are willing to help you? Take their help. You're very, very lucky to have that and there's no reason to feel bad if they're happy to do so without strings attached that you can't handle. My parents don't give me any help except health insurance (which I am grateful for), but they both expect me to stay in school and put work on the back burner, which is impossible for me to do because I have a dozen things to pay for to survive. If you don't have to be in that situation, don't be.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I would advise against working two jobs. I loved staying busy with classes and extra curriculars when I was in college, but I also really valued downtime. I used to just take that time to read random books I checked out of the college library, hang out with my friends, and go for long walks around campus.

It's important not to burn out. If your parents are willing to help out financially and you can go without working the second job, then take the help! There's no shame in wanting to make the most out of college.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:58 pm 

Thanks, guys. I decided I'm going to put in my two weeks notice at the store tomorrow. It's true, I really could use some downtime. I appreciate the input!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:14 pm 
Human Gravy

kilgore trout wrote:
Thanks, guys. I decided I'm going to put in my two weeks notice at the store tomorrow. It's true, I really could use some downtime. I appreciate the input!

Good for you. Sorry to chime in late, but my experience has been that when I have an "extra" part-time job I just end up getting really stressed, waiting too long to put my notice in, and just end up grumpy and ruining my relationships with people at said part-time job.

Leave on a positive note and maybe (if you need/want to) they'll even let you come back during semester breaks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:19 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I say quit the retail job and focus on school and your teaching job (congrats!) if that feels more manageable to you. Focus solely on what you love doing while you have the means/opportunity right now, and have some downtime to socialize and recuperate. Having a moderate amount of free time that you can use effectively is so much better than being so overworked that you don't have time to wrap your head around free time, or are too tired to use it when you get it. Then get a super potato tattoo on your ankle. Can you talk to your boss about working seasonally?

I have the same overworking tendencies (usually for things I don't get paid/underpaid for) while going to school full time and it usually escalates to neglecting the things I want to do, getting really depressed and hiding under blankets for longs stretches of time, doing schoolwork with resentment, avoiding friends, and not actually getting a lot of work done. I think I finally kind of "got it" last semester and it's moderation from now on. I actually just dropped a class today that would involve getting and starting an internship within the next few months (if not, I'd be screwed/fail/bad things) because it seemed like too much stress when I could do it with no pressure in the summer or another time!