| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Crochet...thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:32 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

omg. that is gorgeous rabidchild! i'm so jealous! i have a big old pile of granny squares just sitting around. I'm totally going to give up on my dreams of a quilt and just make a lap blanket when i get it together to start sewing them. I'm so impressed with your huge blanket!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks! I had a big push to finish in the end because I just didn't want to look at it in pieces in my living room anymore!! This is my first blanket with the star squares -- I think they're a little more modern than grannies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:49 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Okay I need help understanding this pattern: http://www.naturallycaron.com/projects/ ... ney_2.html
It says:
Round 4 (joining round): Work as for Round 4 of first motif, except, to join sides of neighboring motifs, work ch-3-join or ch-5-join instead of corner ch-3 or side ch-5, respectively, as follows:
ch-3-join: Ch 1, slip st in corresponding ch-3 corner sp of neighboring motif, ch 1.
ch-5-join: Ch 2, slip st in corresponding ch-5 side sp of neighboring motif, ch 2.
Continue making and joining motifs, as established, into a strip 2 motifs across and 14 motifs long.

And the first motif's round 4 reads:
Round 4: Slip st in first ch-5 sp, ch 6 (counts as first dc, ch 3 here and throughout), dc in same ch-5 sp (corner made), [ch 5, sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 5, (dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch-5 sp (corner made)] 3 times, ch 5, sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 5; join with slip st in 3rd ch of beginning ch—8 dc, 4 sc, 4 ch-5 sps, and 4 corner ch-3 sps. Fasten off.

There are so many ch-# I'm lost.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I wish I could help you ES, but that pattern confuses me, I am still pretty new to reading patterns. Hopefully someone else cab be more helpful. I just came in here to post the scarves I've been working on using this pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/calm-cowl
My images are too big so here are the links to them on my FB crochet page.
https://www.facebook.com/messages/?action=read&tid=243ea448f3644095b2d7e19e67592329#!/photo.php?fbid=328947810452715&set=a.316550735025756.96480.149407011740130&type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/messages/?action=read&tid=243ea448f3644095b2d7e19e67592329#!/photo.php?fbid=328951267119036&set=a.316550735025756.96480.149407011740130&type=1&theater

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:52 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

ExpiredSanity wrote:
Okay I need help understanding this pattern: http://www.naturallycaron.com/projects/ ... ney_2.html
It says:
Round 4 (joining round): Work as for Round 4 of first motif, except, to join sides of neighboring motifs, work ch-3-join or ch-5-join instead of corner ch-3 or side ch-5, respectively, as follows:
ch-3-join: Ch 1, slip st in corresponding ch-3 corner sp of neighboring motif, ch 1.
ch-5-join: Ch 2, slip st in corresponding ch-5 side sp of neighboring motif, ch 2.
Continue making and joining motifs, as established, into a strip 2 motifs across and 14 motifs long.

And the first motif's round 4 reads:
Round 4: Slip st in first ch-5 sp, ch 6 (counts as first dc, ch 3 here and throughout), dc in same ch-5 sp (corner made), [ch 5, sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 5, (dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch-5 sp (corner made)] 3 times, ch 5, sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 5; join with slip st in 3rd ch of beginning ch—8 dc, 4 sc, 4 ch-5 sps, and 4 corner ch-3 sps. Fasten off.

There are so many ch-# I'm lost.

If it's just that the different chains seem confusing I would just suggest going slow and taking on the directions one step at a time. It looks like the pattern is mostly made out of chain stitches worked into other chain spaces (as opposed to working into actual stitches). Don't think too much about how many chains there are, just think about the step you are on.

Sorry if this isn't useful. It's a big chunk of pattern, and I'm not exactly sure what would help. If there is something more specific you don't understand I can try to help.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wow, rabidchild! I'm so impressed with your skills and tenacity! I guess I wouldn't be patient enough to pull through with a big project like that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:35 pm 

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
If it's just that the different chains seem confusing I would just suggest going slow and taking on the directions one step at a time. It looks like the pattern is mostly made out of chain stitches worked into other chain spaces (as opposed to working into actual stitches). Don't think too much about how many chains there are, just think about the step you are on.

Sorry if this isn't useful. It's a big chunk of pattern, and I'm not exactly sure what would help. If there is something more specific you don't understand I can try to help.

Thanks for the advice, I think I've figured out how to join the motifs. I was trying to figure out what the ch-3 and ch-5 in the joining round was referring to.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:02 pm 

I figured out and finished the scarf! It's for my brother's girlfriend for xmas, and I only made half the motifs because it used way more yarn then the pattern called for. It still turned out nice I think:
ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:20 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've recently become a crochet fanatic. I watched two videos on youtube and have made two scarves, one hat, and eight pairs of fingerless gloves/mitts of my own pattern, simple but functional and (I think) cute. All I know how to do is single, double, and half-double stitches, I've not had consistent internet access since I started (about a week ago) to explore further.
It's probably absolutely terrible, but I haven't actually been counting all that much on the mitts, just to begin and to make the thumb holes, aside from that I just go until I see the weird stitch and then start another row. Meep. I'll take/post a picture later, perhaps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:09 pm 

yeah pics!

expiredsanity, that scarf is gorgeous!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:00 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:42 am 
Huffs Nooch

These are my favorite pair of fingerless gloves/armwarmers.
The color is fairly true for the yellow/green, and the stripes are teal and marbled grey.

Also, I like stripes, in case you couldn't tell.

Choirqueer, those socks are fabulous!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:49 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Shantylass wrote:
These are my favorite pair of fingerless gloves/armwarmers.
The color is fairly true for the yellow/green, and the stripes are teal and marbled grey.

Also, I like stripes, in case you couldn't tell.

Choirqueer, those socks are fabulous!

Thanks! Digging those armwarmers! What kind of yarn did you use?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:38 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Patton's classic wool in lemongrass, dark grey marble, and teal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That awkward moment when someone posts something nonvegan on the PPK.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:57 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

So I learned to crochet last week and I made a hat as my first project in 2 days: https://twitter.com/#!/kellypeloza/medi ... 2Fkjg8eqkj

Today I realized I've been wearing it with the wrong side on the outside since I made it!
I really like crocheting so far and find it more intuitive than knitting. I have a list of projects I want to try out now!

I have one question: when inserting the hook into the stitch (when doing a sc or dc or any other kind of stitch), which side of the V should the hook be grasping and pulling up? Or both strands of yarn of the V? Or should it be the loop from the little bit in between and underneath the two sides of the V? The diagrams I've looked at aren't very clear and when googling it, some websites said you could do any one of those. Does it change anything? I need clear direction!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:26 pm 

you're not really grasping and pulling up either side of the v. you're putting the hook through the entire v and then pulling the other yarn through it. and yeah, it should be the whole v, not the little bump on the back. it actually took me forever to figure that out. for the first row, i always just do one of the loops on the v because even though the diagrams make it seem like it's possible to put the hook under both loops in the chain, it seems impossible to me!

Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:37 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

what idji said. i usually work into the back loop on the starting chain that way whatever i'm making has a finished edge instead of a bumpy edge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Wow, everyone's stuff is great! So tempted to do some crocheting this weekend!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:28 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Shy Mox wrote:

I'm sorry that you find non-accusatory mention of wool awkward. Personally, I find no problem with wearing wool and considering myself vegan (though not super strict), because shearing sheep (let's just assume for the moment that we're talking about sheep that have been raised humanely and sheared carefully, etc.) doesn't harm them. Or is your disapproval because we as humans are raising non-human animals to serve our own means (warm sweaters, arm warmers, etc.)? If that's the case, what about pets? We continue to breed and keep them to serve us as companions, and while it's true that your average housecat or dog is probably better treated than your average sheep used for the fiber industry, we're still keeping animals for our own reasons, so does that make having pets nonvegan?
At any rate, I personally haven't found any convincing reason not to wear wool, and I will openly admit that I prefer it to acrylic because it's more comfortable for me.

I realize this isn't a good place to start a debate about the fiber industry or the fuzzy (or non-fuzzy) boundaries of veganism; if anyone wishes to discuss it further then they're more than welcome to start a thread or message me with any questions about the way I see things, and I'll explain myself as clearly and thoughtfully as I can.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Shantylass wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

I'm sorry that you find non-accusatory mention of wool awkward. Personally, I find no problem with wearing wool and considering myself vegan (though not super strict), because shearing sheep (let's just assume for the moment that we're talking about sheep that have been raised humanely and sheared carefully, etc.) doesn't harm them. Or is your disapproval because we as humans are raising non-human animals to serve our own means (warm sweaters, arm warmers, etc.)? If that's the case, what about pets? We continue to breed and keep them to serve us as companions, and while it's true that your average housecat or dog is probably better treated than your average sheep used for the fiber industry, we're still keeping animals for our own reasons, so does that make having pets nonvegan?
At any rate, I personally haven't found any convincing reason not to wear wool, and I will openly admit that I prefer it to acrylic because it's more comfortable for me.

I realize this isn't a good place to start a debate about the fiber industry or the fuzzy (or non-fuzzy) boundaries of veganism; if anyone wishes to discuss it further then they're more than welcome to start a thread or message me with any questions about the way I see things, and I'll explain myself as clearly and thoughtfully as I can.

Shantylass, I think we get that you're okay with using it, but other people aren't, and the PPK isn't the place to post projects using animal fibers. There are tons of other places to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Shantylass wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

You know, I get lectured all the time about how wonderful wool is and how sheepy love sheering and mulesing every time I go into my LYS or post something on a knitting message board. Plain and simple, this is one place we don't have to deal with it. Please just don't post projects made with animal fibers in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:47 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

ijustdiedinside wrote:
...even though the diagrams make it seem like it's possible to put the hook under both loops in the chain, it seems impossible to me!

I find it more possible with some yarns (less fluffy things like cotton) than others, if I do a very loose chain to begin with.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:33 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

ijustdiedinside wrote:
you're not really grasping and pulling up either side of the v. you're putting the hook through the entire v and then pulling the other yarn through it. and yeah, it should be the whole v, not the little bump on the back. it actually took me forever to figure that out. for the first row, i always just do one of the loops on the v because even though the diagrams make it seem like it's possible to put the hook under both loops in the chain, it seems impossible to me!

Does that make sense?

Yep, that made perfect sense when I looked at the project again and made the stitches. Thanks!
I think I was confusing the bump on the back or a part of a different stitch as being part of the V and it threw me off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

AutumnVegan wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

Does that make sense?

Yep, that made perfect sense when I looked at the project again and made the stitches. Thanks!
I think I was confusing the bump on the back or a part of a different stitch as being part of the V and it threw me off.

I totally did that when I was starting to learn.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next