| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GF Care Package
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:29 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Hey guys, I'm new here, though I did lurk a bit on the old boards. Anyways, my friend was just diagnosed w/celiac disease and I'd like to send her a little care package since she's feeling overwhelmed at the moment. However, I'm not sure what to send, so I was wondering what kinds of things you would like to receive or what things you wish you'd known about when you first went GF.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: GF Care Package
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:48 am 
Naked Under Apron

that's so sweet of you, and i can totally understand your friend feeling overwhelmed. some things i think she might enjoy:

- liz lovely cookies (http://www.lizlovely.com/ - they even have a gluten-free sampler. not all the Liz Lovely cookies are gluten-free, but many of them are)
- tsp (textured soy protein - Bob's Red Mill makes this)
- gluten-free oats (Bob's Red Mill are good with me, but she might be oat sensitive too, so you might wanna check)
- flying apron's coobook (http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Aprons-Glu ... 1570616299)
- pure bars are yummy (http://thepurebar.com/)
- maybe some Tinkyada gluten-free pasta (http://www.tinkyada.com/ProList.htm)
- lucy's cookies i very much enjoy (http://www.drlucys.com/)
- enjoy life gluten-free chocolate chips (http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/)
- and Mary's Gone Crackers i find yummy (especially the black pepper flavor http://www.marysgonecrackers.com/ns/intro.php)

(i can usually find both types of cookies, the crackers, TSP, pure bars, and tinkyada pasta at my local natural foods store (and sometimes at Krogers for the TSP, pasta, and crackers))

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:17 am 

Thank you :) I really appreciate it.

The cookbook is an excellent idea. I had given her the blog links from this section so she could browse them for meal ideas, but you can never have too many recipes. And I already had the Mary's Gone Crackers down because I love them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:33 am 
Naked Under Apron

gaia13 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm new here, though I did lurk a bit on the old boards. Anyways, my friend was just diagnosed w/celiac disease and I'd like to send her a little care package since she's feeling overwhelmed at the moment. However, I'm not sure what to send, so I was wondering what kinds of things you would like to receive or what things you wish you'd known about when you first went GF.

Thanks

hrm:
a big bag of homemade flour mix.
tinkyada pasta
tea
hot cocoa mix
homemade brownies, cookies, rice crispy treats or fudge

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:56 pm 

kittee wrote:
gaia13 wrote:

Thanks

hrm:
a big bag of homemade flour mix.
tinkyada pasta
tea
hot cocoa mix
homemade brownies, cookies, rice crispy treats or fudge

xo
kittee

Thanks, kittee. Are there special gf teas or did you just mean tea in general, because I threw some in there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:08 pm 
Naked Under Apron

gaia13 wrote:
Thanks, kittee. Are there special gf teas or did you just mean tea in general, because I threw some in there.

actually, i have heard that some teabags are sealed with starch. ::thumps head:: so based on this, i would go with loose tea an a tea ball.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:59 am 

kittee wrote:
gaia13 wrote:

actually, i have heard that some teabags are sealed with starch. ::thumps head:: so based on this, i would go with loose tea an a tea ball.
xo
kittee

I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be sure to buy her teas that are loose then.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I agree with everything Jessy and Kittee suggested plus The Gluten Free Vegan cookbook. You're a great friend :D