| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Minimalist Running Shoes That Are Not Fivefingers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:35 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

So! After a few months of running (half marathon training, but it's literally been a few months), I have multiple holes and a blood stain in my Vibrams. I think I'm just really hard on shoes?

So, I obviously cannot run in shoes with mesh uppers. Any recommendations of minimalist running shoes that are not fivefingers? I'm eyeing the Merrell barefoot pace glove. Anyone have any experience with these? Or other recommendations?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Minimalist Running Shoes That Are Not Fivefingers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

Brooks Green Silence have been working very well for me.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/on/demandw ... %20silence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:28 am 
WRETCHED

I have the merrell's and I like them a lot. Innov-8s are great too but my husband took mine for his half marathon training and I went for the Merrells.
http://www.zappos.com/inov-8-f-lite-230

Unless you are doing a lot of rugged trails, I'd recommend the innov-8 195 or 230. They both can handle some trails but they have other shoes better suited for frequent rugged trails.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:48 am 
Bathes in Braggs

nouns wrote:
So! After a few months of running (half marathon training, but it's literally been a few months), I have multiple holes and a blood stain in my Vibrams. I think I'm just really hard on shoes?

So, I obviously cannot run in shoes with mesh uppers. Any recommendations of minimalist running shoes that are not fivefingers? I'm eyeing the Merrell barefoot pace glove. Anyone have any experience with these? Or other recommendations?

Thanks!

I have those exact shoes, and I love love love them. But I hike in them instead of run in them (only because for me, running is the worst).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:56 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

for some reason, I've been tearing pages out of magazines with minimalist running shoes. here's a list (i haven't checked the veganness of any of them cause I only think about running, i never actually do)

merrell barefoot pace glove
saucony hattori
reebok realflex run
new balance minimus road
nike free run+ 2
asics gel-blur33

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:41 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Cheapo water shoes work really well (but can get hot if there's too much neoprene -- look for more meshy ones unless you're going to be running in cold weather). Previously I had been wearing some New Balance 442 "fashion athletic" shoes (nonleather variety, obviously) which worked well and are inexpensive but not super durable. I've also got my eye on those Merrells. I might actually be getting them this weekend..! Have you checked the Runner's World barefoot forum? There are lots of resources there, and I think at least one person has reviewed the pace gloves.

Another option is racing flat/track and field type shoes, for example Saucony Kilkenny. Be aware that the sizing runs very small relative to regular running shoes.

Sorry to hear the vffs didn't work out for you -- I desperately wanted some about a year ago, but when I tried them on my pinky toe was super uncomfortable, and I couldn't get the KSO's over my high instep so it was a no-go.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:04 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I just got the Merrell Pace Gloves! So far I've only gone for a walk in them, and I'll probably wear them mostly for casual stuff/work as I'm not really running much these days. My only complaint about them is that I have just barely enough room in the instep. It's not obvious from the pictures, but the shoe doesn't open up all the way for lacing. Those loops that hold the laces actually are connected across the tongue and restrict how much you can expand the shoes. I'm not sure if this is going to be problematic for me or not, but it looks like it should be fixable somehow if it is bothersome. There are just a little tight across the instep for me. I bought them a half size larger because I found my usual running shoe size didn't leave much extra length in the toe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:00 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have the merrels and love them. Wear them out and about and to run in. Merrel is coming out with several more options this winter, too. New Balance have several minimal shoes out recently and Brooks is launching a line soon too.
Check out http://www.runblogger.com/2010/04/posts ... shoes.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:37 am 
Level 7 Vegan

My fiance and I like our Saucony Kinvaras, though we'd both tried on Newtons (I tried on the Lady Isaac, him the Sir Isaacs)--he hated them but I loooooved them (they were too pricy, though).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:47 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I just bought some Kinvaras today. Will give a review after I have run in them a few times.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:23 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Feiyue shoes are not explicitly minimal, but have no stepped sole and are perfect for running in. And look cool.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I have Terra Plana Evo. I like them. I ordered online with a coupon code and got lucky that they fit!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:04 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ok! So I finally replaced my five fingers, which have taken me through two--almost three--half marathons and have multiple holes and bloodstains and looked more like zombie feet than lizard feet. Oof.

I just went for my first run in my bright red-pink vivobarefoot lucy lites, and oh my goodness. So comfy. So stylist. So dry! I just ran 5.2 miles through the Chicago slush (and can we even talk about the lakefront trail? there were parts where instead of running on concrete I was running on a mix of sand and slush and snow), and my feet aren't even a little wet.

At first I thought they'd be too big, since I'm used to the close fit of vibrams, but the company recommends you size up (so instead of my street shoes size 8/38, I went for 8.5/39 and they were great. No rubbing - though I was wearing socks this time.

Highly recommended! Especially cause I can wear them around town and look adorable instead of all "gggrraaaainnnnsss"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:33 am 
Level 7 Vegan

nouns wrote:
Ok! So I finally replaced my five fingers, which have taken me through two--almost three--half marathons and have multiple holes and bloodstains and looked more like zombie feet than lizard feet. Oof.

I just went for my first run in my bright red-pink vivobarefoot lucy lites, and oh my goodness. So comfy. So stylist. So dry! I just ran 5.2 miles through the Chicago slush (and can we even talk about the lakefront trail? there were parts where instead of running on concrete I was running on a mix of sand and slush and snow), and my feet aren't even a little wet.

At first I thought they'd be too big, since I'm used to the close fit of vibrams, but the company recommends you size up (so instead of my street shoes size 8/38, I went for 8.5/39 and they were great. No rubbing - though I was wearing socks this time.

Highly recommended! Especially cause I can wear them around town and look adorable instead of all "gggrraaaainnnnsss"

Wow, I really like the look of those!