| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quitting/Wanting to Quit Smoking Support Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:44 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hi PPK! I just quit smoking (5 days!) I've done some searching and I've seen a few references to people quitting smoking on this forum, but no thread entirely dedicated to just supporting each other through the quitting/thinking about quitting process. Please feel free to remove if this thread already exists and I just missed it. Just basically a place to bisque about cravings, offer advice or support and share stories!

"It's very dear to me, the issue of GAY MARRIAGE. Or, as I like to call it: 'MARRIAGE.' You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn't gay park it." -Liz Feldman

Post subject: Re: Quitting/Wanting to Quit Smoking Support Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The thing that helped me massively to quit 4 years ago was the thought: All I need to do to quit is just not lighting the next cigarette. I repeated that to myself every time I craved smoking. :) A bit of a quitting mantra, I guess.

And do reward yourself for succeeding at a certain point. You earned that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:26 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Good for you!! I quit about 5 years ago or so, after quitting many times. I also took it one day, one minute at a time. Even kept that last pack of cigs around for a while (threw them away when i moved last year, finally) just so there was no doubt, if i wanted to, i could, but i didn't want to.

my friend has just quit, and he asked people to "support" him by pledging something like $5/month to the animal shelter, on the condition that if he went back to smoking, he would make the donation instead of them. Thought that was interesting. He's about a month smokefree now, I'm happy to say.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

That's a fabulous idea and a really great way to keep yourself accountable - he's bound to have a lot of people asking how he's doing and it's raising money for a good cause at the same time :)

Two of my friends and I all quit at the same time. It's been nice, because we can support each other and kind of talk each other down when we tried to justify "just having one". For me, one of the big things that worked was reminding myself that my health was a huge reason why I stopped eating meat and if I was doing something that big for my health, it was kind of hypocritical to keep on smoking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:19 am 

That's how I quit too. I started playing football that summer, and I felt so weird about smoking after a match. Then I made the realization that if I think it's wrong to smoke after a match, then I shouldn't be smoking at all. :)

But do let us know how it's going ! You ok ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:40 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I quit nicotine around two years ago, partly because of the ethical dilemma, partly because of the cost but mainly because it was making me really sick. I have asthma and was living in a really skanky mouldy house with four other smokers, with the fags on top of that I was constantly ill.

My partner and I quit together and we both got nicotine inhalators off the NHS; they were really helpful for me for a couple of reasons. I have anxiety and rolling and smoking fags was a way to relax both alone and around others; the inhalator gave me something to do. The other thing it was good for was subduing the crazy nicotine-deprived arguments about nothing: my partner and I would end up having shouting matches, then yelling at each other that the other one was just mad because they needed a fag, disagreeing but puffing on the inhalator anyway, then instantly relaxing and apologising.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i quit smoking in the middle of december, but started again after i met a new guy in the start of january (who is a smoker, obviously). i really really want to quit again. might pop in here for a little inspiration every now and then! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I quit (after trying many times) in Jan 2010. It helped that I got pregnant about 1 month later, and I've never smoked since.

I'm just popping in to say I'm so glad I quit!!! Not smoking is awesome. Every one in a great while I get a little craving, but it is more nostalgia than anything at this point. I love being able to breathe and not smelling like smoke.

The weirdest thing is when I see other people smoking now, I can hardly imagine that I did it for so long.

So you can do it!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:06 pm 

Day 7 is here! I'm nervous because my partner smokes and is coming to visit for the weekend. Yikes, I feel like not drinking at all has helped me to quit this time, I get two beers in me and man I just CRAVE one of those little white mustards. Any advice on that front?

"It's very dear to me, the issue of GAY MARRIAGE. Or, as I like to call it: 'MARRIAGE.' You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn't gay park it." -Liz Feldman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:07 pm 

Paloma wrote:
The thing that helped me massively to quit 4 years ago was the thought: All I need to do to quit is just not lighting the next cigarette. I repeated that to myself every time I craved smoking. :) A bit of a quitting mantra, I guess.

(i love this idea, i'm totally going to start doing that. thanks!!!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:20 pm 

eatmonaeat wrote:
Paloma wrote:

(i love this idea, i'm totally going to start doing that. thanks!!!)

It makes it less of a thing, that was what I liked about it. You're not *drumroll* Quitting Smoking, you're just not lighting the next one. I also didn't tell anyone about it until I was a week in. I made it some sort of contest with myself. Like: I could light a cigarette, but I won't, because I'm not lighting that cigarette. And then I was instantly proud of myself for not lighting one. It's some sort of positive reinforcement, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:22 pm 

eatmonaeat wrote:
Day 7 is here! I'm nervous because my partner smokes and is coming to visit for the weekend. Yikes, I feel like not drinking at all has helped me to quit this time, I get two beers in me and man I just CRAVE one of those little white mustards. Any advice on that front?

Feel free to pm me when you have the cravings to smoke, if you suspect that might help. I'm writing my thesis and I'm behind my pc pretty much round the clock, so we can talk about it anytime.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:41 pm 
Tofu Pup

you can do it!
i had to quit like, i don't know, 9 times. finally, my boyfriend at the time and i decided to quit, and i was still really bad because i would drink and then be like ohhhh it's okay, i'm drunk! so i eventually had to stop drinking for a few months too so that i would stop smoking. and then instead of smoking in the car, i would eat candy, and gained some weight. TOTALLY WORTH IT. i've lost my quitting-smoking-weight since then too. that was in may 2010, and i haven't smoked since. every time that i want to, i remember how far i've came and i can't lose now (i'm very competitive, even against myself) and that my body is too precious and i can't very well be good at the gym if i'm full of smoke. sometimes (like in the car, or when it's cold, or whatever) a cigarette sounds good, but not really. more of a nostalgia thing.
so stay strong! you can do it! a funny song that i liked to listen to was by princess superstar, it's called the quitting smoking song. a good lyric from it that i think of often is "which one you want ruined, your lungs or these corporations?"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:33 am 

Ok, had a cigarette on saturday after two beers, seemed like a good idea :(
Back on the horse now though and not giving up! Thanks all for the help, Paloma I might just take you up on your offer. Also, I think littlebabyyada has the right idea, no more drinking for me while I quit. Other than that time on Saturday I haven't really been tempted at all. Also going to start working out this week, hopefully that will help too! :) thanks again all!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:42 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Good job everyone!! Quitting smoking is tough! I am glad to see that you all have a support threat going.

I thought this piece of information might help you all out.

Cigarettes aren't vegan, some companies test their unfinished product on beagles. Maybe some of you knew this, I sure didn't. I will have to go looking for the source if any of you are further interested.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm not a smoker nor have I ever been. But I just wanted to say Congrats to all of you and I wish you the best of luck!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:32 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i'm glad you up and kept walking when you slipped up. hang in there and when you start working out think about how you're making yourself stronger every hour you are without a smoke.

there is some interesting stuff that might motivate you here along the same vein
http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/afterqu ... months.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Everyone's probably going to turn on me, but what worked for me, and a bunch of friends, their family members etc, was that book by Allan Carr - "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking".

I picked it up cheap in a sale in an act of desperation after failing to quit multiple times, and thinking it would be stupid, but thinking it was worth a shot. It completely worked for me, and most people I know. I don't know how he does it - it's like he somehow hypnotises you with words if you follow his instructions exactly. Midway through the book, I found myself *gagging* whilst smoking.

It's just an option if you're at wit's end!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:52 am 

mattomic wrote:
Everyone's probably going to turn on me, but what worked for me, and a bunch of friends, their family members etc, was that book by Allan Carr - "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking".

I picked it up cheap in a sale in an act of desperation after failing to quit multiple times, and thinking it would be stupid, but thinking it was worth a shot. It completely worked for me, and most people I know. I don't know how he does it - it's like he somehow hypnotises you with words if you follow his instructions exactly. Midway through the book, I found myself *gagging* whilst smoking.

It's just an option if you're at wit's end!

Cool! I'm going to try and find that, for quitting smoking I feel like the end justifies the means. Also I bought Zumba for Wii to try to replace my bad habit with a good one (FYI - you WILL look ridiculous doing it, but it's super fun! I highly recommend it if you're like me and hate gyms/working out in public)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:09 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

eatmonaeat wrote:
Cool! I'm going to try and find that, for quitting smoking I feel like the end justifies the means.

This is one of those things where practically everything is justifiable. Try anything! My gramma, who smoked 4 packs a day for something like 60 years, quit from hypnosis (!). it's all worth a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:31 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I switched to an electronic cigarette 8 months ago, and have gradually reduced the level of nicotine from 30 mg down to 18. I haven't touched a real cigarette since the switch. My sense of smell is so much better now! Food tastes better too.

I don't know if I will ever quit using the e-cig because I enjoy vaping, but I would like to get down to 6 mg and occasionally use 0 mg liquid (just flavor, no nicotine).

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

I started smoking again in May after breaking up with my ex. I had been quit for almost a year before that, but the stress of the break up, school and the fact he was the main reason why I quit kind of factored into my picking up the habit again. Now that I'm done with school I'm thinking about quitting again, but I haven't really gotten beyond thinking about it. I don't have a job right now, so obviously it would be good to save money, but I feel like it would be easier to quit after I start a new job/ get a new routine (right now I have no routine).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:44 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

P-J wrote:
Good job everyone!! Quitting smoking is tough! I am glad to see that you all have a support threat going.

I thought this piece of information might help you all out.

Cigarettes aren't vegan, some companies test their unfinished product on beagles. Maybe some of you knew this, I sure didn't. I will have to go looking for the source if any of you are further interested.

My brother also told me (not sure if it's true) that the new cigarettes they make that stop burning are made with whale blubber. I chose to ignore him at the time but eventually quit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:30 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Love this thread! I was noodling around on the forums, playing around with moving towards veganism. I saw that this thread exists and that sealed the deal...PPK is my one stop shop for stopping all the horrible shiitake I do to myself and the planet.

So, after about a three day warm up...Welcome to day 1. I will not light the next one. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:38 pm 
Huffs Nooch

bunniee wrote:
I switched to an electronic cigarette 8 months ago, and have gradually reduced the level of nicotine from 30 mg down to 18. I haven't touched a real cigarette since the switch. My sense of smell is so much better now! Food tastes better too.

I don't know if I will ever quit using the e-cig because I enjoy vaping, but I would like to get down to 6 mg and occasionally use 0 mg liquid (just flavor, no nicotine).

What e-cig do you use? I'm interested in getting one to use in my car and maybe walk my smoking of real cigarettes down from there.

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next