| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zine I am working on...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:35 am 
Huffs Nooch

I am asking around:

For those who didn't grow up with snow, what was your first experience to a icy winter? What was your reaction?

Post subject: Re: Zine I am working on...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

bump :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:02 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I didn't experience this firsthand, but my friend who grew up in northern California experienced snow for the first time when ze moved to New York (around age 11 or 12, I think), and ze says ze remembers being very surprised that snow was cold. It hadn't occured to zir before that snow would be cold.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for the input :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:44 pm 
WRETCHED

I had seen snow prior to moving to an area of snow but I moved from California to Colorado when I was 27?

First real experience with snow. Driving was treacherous and I remember going to the grocery store right after it snowed or during snow. Wasn't very heavy snow but there was no plowing yet or ice melt. I was going down a driveway at the grocery store when I couldn't stop and almost slid right into a busy street. Then there was a big pickup truck that almost creamed me because he couldn't stop at a stop light. Then there was me cussing out the cold one day when I was carrying groceries to my car. I also didn't know how to walk in snow. I ended up going to a sporting good store and buying special shoes for icy/snowy conditions after the first time I walked on snow.

Then in the same winter, my car was parked on the street but I had to dig it out. I didn't have a snow shovel because I didn't think of such things. Ended up digging my car out with a cardboard box. That was not very pleasant.

Was probably the next winter when I figured out the perfect way to get rid of ice on the sidewalk was to pour hot water on the sidewalk. Worked really well for a second until the water I had poured turned to ice.

Basically, I realized I was not very smart about cold winters. Didn't know anything about wearing layers (and still really don't). Didn't know that pouring hot water on cold cement wasn't a good idea. Didn't think that I'd need to shovel my car out of snow. And didn't know that my all-season tires really weren't built for unplowed hills.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

my spouse had never seen snow til he went to japan and moved up north with me.
he had to learn how to drive in snow, first of all, and also how to deal with the winter in the house (he comes from a place where you don't even use warm water for your shower for half the year). He also had no winter clothes whatsoever. Then had to get to know kerosene heaters, warming up the car, winter food, chains on tires, etc. Big learning curve. I took him mountain biking in the snow when all he wanted to do was hide inside til winter was over.

We talked about this recently (my daughter was born with snow but we left the US to come here when she was 6, so it's been a while) and he said what was the most amazing for him was the softness and sound when everything is snowed in before it all gets cleaned out, the hundred shades of white and the muffled quietness.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:56 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh and something else. I'm guessing if you grow up in an area where it gets cold, you see a lot of variation. I lived in colorado for 3 years and kind of got used to the drop to 10-20 degree range, snow, go up to 60 degree range and snow disappears type thing. When I moved to Maryland, I discovered the 'quasi snow, quasi rain at 30 degrees, temperature goes to 40, drops back to 20, you now have a sheet of ice thing'. I think that kind of surprised me quite a bit.

I actually really love shoveling snow though. Don't know why. Maybe because I didn't grow up with it and it seems kind of fun to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:02 pm 
Chard Martyr

My boyfriend grew up in LA and whenever it frosts he freaks out that it has snowed and the car won't start and we're going to die, etc. I mean, it's not that severe, but he's whiny enough to inspire my being a smart-ass after growing up with many feet of snow uphill both ways.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:44 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks all! I will message you if I use what you said ^_^