| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:59 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I didn't see a sleep thread, so please close/redirect if I've missed it.

My own question is, "What time do your babies (say under age 1) go to sleep for the night?" Freya's just now starting to sleep for stretches of about 3 hours at a time (thank the maker) most nights. We're hoping to get her in a better routine, but aren't sure what time to start. I don't mean a routine in that scary Gina Ford, baby training way, just bath/stories/bottle, etc. She's been staying up pretty late so far as we've just been going on her schedule. Tonight, she fell asleep, exhausted at like 7:30, has stirred to nurse and almost seems like she's headed for being out for the night. K's holding her now while I pump and eat dinner. (she's not digging her own bed yet...another issue, heh)

Do your babies pass out early or late?

Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

wolverine isn't that much older and he takes a nap at like 7:30-8 in his swing then I wake him up to change him and bring him into bed with me when I go to bed and nurse him for the long nurse then unless he is too tired. By wake him up I mean let him wake up. Take his blanket off, turn the swing off etc. If he doesnt wake up by the time I am going to bed my partner will change him for bed and bring him into me. We do baths and stories early in the day or before his first sleep (nap) if he gets one. We only do like at most a bath a week. We don't have much of a bedtime routine yet, just follow his cues of when he needs sleep. He does sleep through the night (as in when I go to bed till I need to be up) a lot of nights. Sometimes he wakes up at 4:30 to nurse but not really lately. We wake up at 7ish.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Supposedly their pineal glands aren't active until 3 months, and that is the point at which they start to have circadian rhythms. Every time I say "Leela does X" she changes, so I am leery about saying she has a schedule that is in any way predictable.

Last night she fell asleep at 7, I joined her at 10, she woke me at 12, 2 (nursed till almost 3), 4:40 and finally got up at 6. oy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:43 am 

We're not on a schedule either...just following L's cues, but she is slightly predictable. Usually she goes down after nursing for a longer period of time once in the night, about 3.5-5 hours in her co-sleeper. Then she wakes up about every two hours to nurse, but she comes into bed with me so we are not getting up fully. We don't have a routine like bath, book, etc. I figure she is too young for that shiitake to matter yet. We do use a white noise machine every night.

I'm interesting in hearing about nap routines. While L will go down for bed in her co-sleeper for the first long stretch of nighttime sleep, I can't get her to nap anywhere except on me or my husband. I have to wear her to get her to sleep during the day. How can I get her to nap without holding her?

Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)i
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:22 pm 

Butternut that sounds a lot like us: one long stretch and then probably 3 two hourish spells. We've been topping up with a bottle in eve before the long sleep. I've given her one during the night as well but it doesn't seem to help her sleep longer and now two nights in a row she's been satisfied with just boobage!

I have been trying to have freya sleep in cosleeper for naps but she's not having it. Poor bean wakes up wild eyed and seeming scared! Will l sleep anywhere else? F will do other places sometimes..bouncy, car seat, buggy. She likes the bean bag nursing pillow too, but it's only safe to use when i'm nearby. How does lucinda go down at night..do you rock her etc before putting her in bed?

Nearly 20 years I've been working with babies/kids and still i'm a noob when it comes to my own

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:29 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We have seen pretty big changes from month to month so far.. For us right now (6 months), we usually get:

- 1 long nap of 2-3 hours, usually starting somewhere between 11am and 1pm
- a shorter nap late afternoon or evening on top of me while we watch TV, 30-45 min
- for night sleep, she'll go to sleep with us, usually nursing to sleep, around 10pm, nurses variously during the night, and sleeps in until around 9 or 9:30 am. I don't get up to nurse her now so I don't even know how many times she'll wake up or when, but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say she has a long sleep, if she nurses to sleep it'll be about 3 or 4, then again for a long time on both sides around 6-7, then she falls back asleep and I sneak out of bed to make husband's lunch, etc. and she'll sleep another couple hours.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:20 pm 

refinnej wrote:
Butternut that sounds a lot like us: one long stretch and then probably 3 two hourish spells. We've been topping up with a bottle in eve before the long sleep. I've given her one during the night as well but it doesn't seem to help her sleep longer and now two nights in a row she's been satisfied with just boobage!

I have been trying to have freya sleep in cosleeper for naps but she's not having it. Poor bean wakes up wild eyed and seeming scared! Will l sleep anywhere else? F will do other places sometimes..bouncy, car seat, buggy. She likes the bean bag nursing pillow too, but it's only safe to use when i'm nearby. How does lucinda go down at night..do you rock her etc before putting her in bed?

Nearly 20 years I've been working with babies/kids and still i'm a noob when it comes to my own

Yay for boobage! I'm glad you are feeling better about it.

Yeah, I don't know what kind of black magic it is that works to put L in the co-sleeper. It just seems to work the ONE time each night. Around 8 I begin to nurse her on the couch with a pillow until she falls asleep. My partner scoops her up, swaddles her, and takes her into the dark bedroom with the noise machine on and puts her down in the co-sleeper. She has open eyes at this point. Within five minutes she is usually out cold. If she starts screaming, we rinse and repeat. Thank god it works and I hope it keeps working! I know i will have to faze the swaddling out soon. I just wish I could figure out what works for daytime naps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Annak, if she doesn't wake you to nurse does that mean she has enough motor skills to get a nipple and feed herself? When did that happen? Its kind of my dream to not be pummeled by teeny fists looking for milk in the middle of the night.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey just went to bed, the last few days have been rough, not much sleep for any of us. That ebing said, most nights he goes to bed around 7. He wakes up 3 times to nurse during the night and is up around 6-6:30. I think his np schedule is changing right now, but we will need a few more days to determine if that is really true. Until this last week he would nap at 8am, 10am and then maybe once or twice more later. The last couple days he has taken the 8am and then a long nap around 11 for 2-3 hours. He then wants to take another nap around 4 which I have been trying to discourage so he will go to bed early.

I go to a moms group every week that is run by a birth educator and she says that infant sleep changes so often that as soon as you get a schedule, it changes. They don't have true consistent sleep until 3years old. Their routines might lengthen but always be prepared for change. Also, I think the reason we haven't had much sleep the last few nights is because grey is having. Growth/developmental spurt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:54 am 

Butternut wrote:
Thank god it works and I hope it keeps working! I know i will have to faze the swaddling out soon. I just wish I could figure out what works for daytime naps.

And I don't think she's slept since I last posted on this thread. And I'm embarrassed of how sleeplessness has affected my spelling skills. Phase out. I'm so tired.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:04 am 
Nooch of Earl

Tofulish wrote:
Annak, if she doesn't wake you to nurse does that mean she has enough motor skills to get a nipple and feed herself? When did that happen? Its kind of my dream to not be pummeled by teeny fists looking for milk in the middle of the night.

Hahaha it isn't that she doesn't wake me up, it's that it all kinds of blends together. I am a very very light sleeper, though. But somehow things have gotten much easier over time. When I was using the shield and she was much younger, I usually had to turn on a light, try to put the shield in place and hope it didn't slide off before she was latched on, get into just the right position, clamp my arm under the pillow, use my other hand to keep the boob from blocking her nostrils, and stay balanced just so. Now somehow I just kind of take it out of my shirt and somehow everyone ends up in the right place.

The one thing I'll caution with the nursing in bed, though, is that I'm pretty sure her main sleep period at night was longer when I actually got out of bed to feed her. Again, it's hard to say - I don't have a clock within view so I don't really know exactly when we wake up. I feel reasonably rested, so I think I get plenty of total sleep, and the pattern is definitely the same where good sleep is frontloaded in the night and she turns into more of a cluster nurser by 6-7am. But I used to go to bed around 9-10pm, then she'd sleep until 3 or 4am, I'd take her into the next room, read or watch some hulu shows while I nursed her on both sides with a diaper change in between, then she'd sleep until 6 or so. Now I think we wake up much more often, but it's maybe only to nurse on one side before nodding back off, and maybe neither of us ever becomes very wide awake. I think it's probably a matter of personal style - whether to prefer one big uninterrupted chunk of sleep with a very wide awake break after it, or a little bit of sleep with a little bit of low-effort sleepy nursing, then a little bit more sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, ours is like that. I don't wake fully, but I do have someone in varying degrees of upset grasping for my boob as I struggle to figure out what the heck she wants. Its always boobs, but somehow at 3 am, I don't remember that.

Thought you might like this

And Butternut, there is no shame in the Playground. Probably not on the whole PPK, but definitely not here :) Happy phasing <3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Ha! We have been sleeping like an H for months now...I think Walter can only sleep if he is perpendicular to me. With his feet on my head. It's terrific.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:10 am 

Love the pic. Though it's just me, Freya's a total jazz hands. Very interesting trying to sneak out of bed.

She's still on the big bed with me now, but I'd love to work k back into our bed too. We took a

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:13 am 

Oops phone freaking out.

Took a nap other day and he managed to sleep through all her snuffling and snorting and rolling so that's a start.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
Yes, ours is like that. I don't wake fully, but I do have someone in varying degrees of upset grasping for my boob as I struggle to figure out what the heck she wants. Its always boobs, but somehow at 3 am, I don't remember that.

Thought you might like this

And Butternut, there is no shame in the Playground. Probably not on the whole PPK, but definitely not here :) Happy phasing <3

OMG, I am dying! I literally loled out loud. B still does H is for Hell and R totally loves doing The Stalker.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:59 am 
Nooch of Earl

The Booby Trap* is what happens to us, especially when we're not in a king size bed.

* minus the baby lying facing down on a pillow, which is more of a chance than even my laid back self wants to take with suffocation hazards.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:52 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm so glad to have read this thread. Madelyn is 5 weeks old now and I am torn on how to deal with sleeping (plus transitioning from our bed to her own). I feel that half of what I read suggests letting the baby set their own schedule and the other half says that they need to have a strict schedule enforced asap, even if it means letting them cry it out. I think I fall somewhere in the middle. Maybe I'll try to start falling into some kind of a routine rather than a schedule. There are just too many things that are going to change over the course of time. But at least knowing that every night we have a little bath, pjs, feeding and cuddle time before trying to go to bed will help us work in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 am 
And you never will.

I've avoided this thread up until now because I didn't want to get depressed (we've had very, very, very difficult issues with sleep), but I just had to share that poopiebaby (19 months) slept for 5 hours straight last night! For the first time EVER. Do you know what that means? It means I slept for 5 hours straight last night, for the first time in over 19 months!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm so happy for you poopie! Here's to more of that magic!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG, poopiebitch, it's like you're 2 months behind me! Raygold only nurses 4-ish times a night now and only has 3-4 bad nights a week. He still sleeps like shiitake, but compared to a few weeks ago, the sleep I get now is amazing. I have all kinds of weird dreams.
Here's to more sleep! Go poopiebaby!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:13 pm 

Yay poopiebaby! We've had one night (when f had a cold) with 4 hours. Otherwise still one 2-3 hour stretch at start and then meh. Still convinced that our feeding issues are the key. God, I'm tired.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We are having such a hard time with sleep right now. Wolverine takes his naps in the swing and I really want him to start taking them in his crib. He won't. He will fall asleep on me nursing, I put him in his crib on his back, he screams. I put him on his side, he lays there grabbing around then eventually ends up on his back but is wide awake and playing with his hands, looking at the mobile etc... He straight out won't nap if I put him in the crib. He will stay awake, no matter how tired he is. I love cosleeping overnight but I would love for him to start out the night in his crib instead of the noisy living room in his swing. blah.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know if it's because the boiler is busted and it's freezing in here or what, but Raygold has been sleeping like crepe for the past 2 nights. That said, I am a lot warmer sleeping between my two wee boys than if I didn't co-sleep. Normally, I don't care for Beetroot strangling me all night or asking me questions in the middle of the night, but with no heat, the kids seem especially snuggly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:01 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey has bpnot been sleeping well at all. The last few nights I think he must wake up every hour to nurse. I am going crazy.then last night he went to bed only to wake up 35 minutes later and was awake awake.took him a couple hours to go back to sleep. On top of that he woke up at 5:30. I am going crazy. My nipples are sore, I am exhausted and cranky and my whole body hurts from having to lie in weird positions so he can nurse. He likes to kick himself up and I pull him down, but it is a constant struggle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next