| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

They had three nights of Doctor Who on the big screen at a small, local, independent theatre here and I went! Two nights were Tom Baker and the last night was 11 in The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon. They even sold a TARDIS shirt!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:25 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Whovian wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
Of course this thread is about the current shows... why would it be any other way?

Was "classic" Who even shown on normal US tv at the time? [ok, internets say it was on something called PBS... was that something readily available to normal folk who don't pay for spaceship teevee or whatever you guys do over there?)

I understand that this thread is mainly about current Who. That's why when the other person's thread (which they started elsewhere) was moved here by a moderator, it got swallowed up, so it probably should've been left in its own thread and perhaps labeled "Classic Doctor Who."

Well, Mike's thread was supposed to be a poll but it didn't work out... if it had been it probs wouldn't have gottten merged. Anyhoo, Amy is leaving sometime during the next series, so I guess you minority of people can at least find one thing to be happy about.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:09 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Not sure if everyone has seen this. :-)

http://youtu.be/iN5jPQdJXYE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:23 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Whovian wrote:

Also, to me a season is one year's worth of a show as it is called in the U.S. I have found it extremely frustrating (and greedy on the BBC's part) that classic Who is only released as each story (so around 90 minutes) instead of a whole year's worth of episodes like most TV shows available on DVD--including new Doctor Who "series."

Thing is though, while I admit I sometimes get irked that BBC shows on DVD are more expensive that their counterparts... I realise that they're a public body. They are subject to budget cuts like the rest of us in similar environments sadly are. They are threatened constantly by a government and right-wing press that doesn't appreciate/understand their existence. I hugely dislike that I have to pay a TV licence, but I still would rather that than what I perceive to be the alternatives.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I like Amy! But I do think Martha Jones is my favorite companion and Tennant my favorite doctor. Haven't got a chance to watch the Who episodes, but they're really tough to find. There's a few episodes on Netflix, but I worry it would be weird watching them out of order and no backstory. Hope some day they offer them all, in sequence, streaming if not on DVD.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

nickvicious wrote:
I like Amy! But I do think Martha Jones is my favorite companion and Tennant my favorite doctor. Haven't got a chance to watch the Who episodes, but they're really tough to find. There's a few episodes on Netflix, but I worry it would be weird watching them out of order and no backstory. Hope some day they offer them all, in sequence, streaming if not on DVD.

Which episodes? Classic?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Netflix has seasons 1-5 of the reboot and a fairly decent amount of the classics episodes on instant watch. I looked around briefly, but they're not really organized. It's not like they're labeled "season eight, episode ten" or anything like that, you kind of have to known what arcs happened when (if it matters to you, but I'm kind of anal like that). I intend to get to them eventually, but it just hasn't happened yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Mr. Shankly wrote:
nickvicious wrote:

Which episodes? Classic?

Yes! Like everything before the ninth doctor. NF does have a few odd episodes here are there, but not whole seasons. They aren't even available for purchase from what I've seen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:05 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I grew up watching PBS and the 4th and 5th Doctors. I scrounged book stores for the novels.
I was watching some youtube vids and getting all misty eyed for the memories of my youth.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:21 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

kfad wrote:
I grew up watching PBS and the 4th and 5th Doctors. I scrounged book stores for the novels.
I was watching some youtube vids and getting all misty eyed for the memories of my youth.

I used to read some of the novels too. I know I first saw the 3rd and 4th Doctors, so I really loved Tom Baker. Then they showed CB and I loved him, so was sad that he was one of the Doctors with the shortest runs. But I liked Sylvester McCoy too, was bummed when they cancelled it. Then was ecstatic when the TV movie came on to reboot it in America, but thought it kinda stunk in comparison to the series. I would love to see that movie again though, just to see if it's really as crepe as I remember. I can't say that I hate any of the Doctors, but some I'm just "meh" on--like #11.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Season 6 available on Netflix :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I don't know why I've never posted in this thread. So, let's just get this out of the way first: sitting at home and watching Doctor Who is my sole hobby. New series, classic series, whatever. It's all the same show to me. Any time I have the option of leaving the house to do something fun and/or productive, there's this little voice in my head that says, "...or you could stay home, make something to eat, and watch Doctor Who!", and that little voice wins 99% of the time.

Sooo.... I heard they are announcing the new companion tomorrow. Anyone hear anything about this? Any guesses as to who it will be? I know at one point people were thinking it could be Sophia Myles (who played Madame de Pompadour in 2006's The Girl in the Fireplace), because she tweeted about having lunch with Steven Moffat, and was recently in Spain at the same time Doctor Who was filming there. There have been other names bandied about, but I'm afraid I haven't heard of most of them. What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:10 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

http://www.youtube.com/user/RitchandSpace/videos

he has good videos for a history on all doctors 1-10 and a list of ways the doctor changed history.

and I still feel I am the only man alive who liked the 6th.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:19 am 
Mediocre Tart

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Sooo.... I heard they are announcing the new companion tomorrow. Anyone hear anything about this? Any guesses as to who it will be? I know at one point people were thinking it could be Sophia Myles (who played Madame de Pompadour in 2006's The Girl in the Fireplace), because she tweeted about having lunch with Steven Moffat, and was recently in Spain at the same time Doctor Who was filming there. There have been other names bandied about, but I'm afraid I haven't heard of most of them. What do you think?

The Daily Mail and The Sun said last night that it's someone called Jenna Louise Coleman... I think the BBC are meant to be announcing in an hour or so, so I guess we'll find out then if they're right.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:07 am 
Saggy Butt

interrobang?! wrote:
raspberrycomplaint wrote:

The Daily Mail and The Sun said last night that it's someone called Jenna Louise Coleman... I think the BBC are meant to be announcing in an hour or so, so I guess we'll find out then if they're right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17456505

So it's true. They made a few announcements on their twitter too (spoilers!)

I only really started watching this show last year and then it took me some time to catch up with series 1-6, so now I can't wait for the new series! I really liked Amy & Rory though...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:14 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I don't think anyone guessed her! I hope she's good.
Quote:
"Who she's playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lard ever encounters. Even by the Doctor's standards, this isn't your usual boy meets girl."

I'm sure there will be plenty of guessing about how they meet now. I love to see the really out there things that people come up with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:36 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Chiatroll wrote:
and I still feel I am the only man alive who liked the 6th.

I don't know if you're the only man alive who liked the 6th, but you're definitely not the only person who liked the 6th--though I sometimes wonder if I'm the only woman who loves CB as the Doctor. I actually had a crush on the CB version, which I won't go into detail about;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:34 pm 
WELFARIST!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:32 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Wasn't the new companion in Emmerdale years ago? (I don't watch Emmerdale, I was subjected to it when I lived at home!)

I am still sad that Amy is leaving, though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:12 am 
Tofu Pup

I also don't think anyone guessed her! I hope she's good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:25 pm 
Mediocre Tart

OMG, you guysssss. Omg, omg.

"Dinosaurs. On a spaceship!"

Angry Doctor.

Double-plus sexy Amy.

Bloody Nora, I just cannot wait!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

"We're very cross with you."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:35 pm 
Mediocre Tart

He's been a very naughty boy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:34 pm 
And you never will.

Two days! Two days! That is all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah! Has anyone been watching those little 1 minute Pond Life webisode thingies? There doesn't seem to be any point to them really, but then I read that the last one (which will be released tomorrow) will end in a cliffhanger that leads into Saturday's episode.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 39  Next