| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boston people
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:03 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh! Live Alive, too, is right in Central Square, and is all vegetarian, mostly vegan, and is sorta uber-hippy-healthy food (in an awesome and delicious way, not in a bad way).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yeah, totally intentional. :-p
if you ever come to philly, make sure to try new harmony. nothing can compare. (and the owner is the sweeeeetest!!)

yay! i would love to meet you too! it'll be so fun! wheeee!
vegetalion wrote:
Oh! Live Alive, too, is right in Central Square, and is all vegetarian, mostly vegan, and is sorta uber-hippy-healthy food (in an awesome and delicious way, not in a bad way).

oh, ok. i was afraid it was in the bad way. i'll mark that on the map. :-)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

I really like Life Alive except for the seating. If you sit downstairs, you'll have to sit with a bunch of people you don't know and sit at a table/bench that's too low to eat from. I have to pick up the plate/bowl while eating.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

supercarrot wrote:
ok, i made a google map with some notes. (i snooped around the convention center thread) <3 if anyone has anything to add, feel free.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207 ... 8,0.284958

there isn't any timing schedule for PAX yet, but if anyone'll be around the convention center april 6-8, we'd be delighted to hang. (we might possibly be there more days, we'll see.) and then we'll probably venture past the convention center in the evenings, but there are often events that go pretty late in the day.

i have one friend who lives in brookline, and another who lives in arlington. i don't know if we'll be staying with one exclusively, or if at all. it's still a ways out. i'll keep y'all updated. <3

Supercarrot, I work like... half a mile from the convention center near the cruise ships (which may or may not be back by then, probably not). I'd love to meet up when you come even though PAX is a weekend and I won't be at work!

However, Atlantic Beer Garden's got some good alcohol, but not much on the foods, though Flour Bakery is also pretty near there and they've got a little bit for vegan baked goods and a hummus sandwich. Anyways. Yeah.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

PAX is on a friday too! (and we might extend our stay a day, we're not completely sure yet) so don't feel like you have to make an extra trip on the weekend. <3 we can totally meet up on friday or whatever other weekday we might be there. i'll definitely keep y'all in the loop on our plans.

i've had the chocolate cupcake from flour last year, and i definitely want to make another trip (or three!!!) so goood!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:40 am 
Level 7 Vegan

supercarrot wrote:
PAX is on a friday too! (and we might extend our stay a day, we're not completely sure yet) so don't feel like you have to make an extra trip on the weekend. <3 we can totally meet up on friday or whatever other weekday we might be there. i'll definitely keep y'all in the loop on our plans.

i've had the chocolate cupcake from flour last year, and i definitely want to make another trip (or three!!!) so goood!

Earlier in the day, they usually have at least 1 kind of vegan muffin, as well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i did in fact get a muffin from there, too, but i was underwhelmed.

if i remember correctly, it was a carrot-pineapple thingy, and it was waaaaaay too juicy and sticky. maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they had let the pineapple drain a little more, and possibly added a little more flour, but as-is, i did not enjoy. :-( but the cupcake was perfection! with a tiny sprinkling of powdered sugar on top instead of frosting? (i know, sacrilege, admitting that on the PPK, but sometimes amazing cakes are better without it)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:38 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

supercarrot wrote:

if i remember correctly, it was a carrot-pineapple thingy, and it was waaaaaay too juicy and sticky. maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they had let the pineapple drain a little more, and possibly added a little more flour, but as-is, i did not enjoy. :-( but the cupcake was perfection! with a tiny sprinkling of powdered sugar on top instead of frosting? (i know, sacrilege, admitting that on the PPK, but sometimes amazing cakes are better without it)

That chocolate cake is the GREATEST. Sometimes it's still warm, and... I can't even describe it. (And yes, the crusty top with powdered sugar is the only way to go, in my opinion.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:31 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

vegetalion wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

That chocolate cake is the GREATEST. Sometimes it's still warm, and... I can't even describe it. (And yes, the crusty top with powdered sugar is the only way to go, in my opinion.)

I agree on the cupcake! Without frosting, sometimes I tell myself it's a muffin and perfectly fine to have for breakfast then!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yo-yos! is khayyam vegan friendly? (i googled, but the only place i found, someone said "i think all the veg dishes are vegan" uhhh... :-)
http://homerun.com/deal/bos-khayyam-1?_ ... e-6d2ba234

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ok, i called them (cause i have $10 credit with homerun, and they really rarely offer many vegan deals near me)
the woman on the phone was so very nice.
hummus , baba gannoush and a few other appetizers. some have cream, but that's easily left off.
soups: lentil & persian
salads: all are vegan except for some feta.
stews: bamieh & lentil
falafel is fried separately in it's own pan (w00t) nothing else is deep fried. (all the meats are made on a grill)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:41 pm 

the bamieh sounds really good! I've never heard of this place.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

apparently it's right next to genki ya.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:44 am 
Level 7 Vegan

supercarrot wrote:
apparently it's right next to genki ya.

Ahhh, that's why I've never gone. I can't get past the awesome sushi.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

when we go to redeem our voucher, i think we might go for an appetizer of sushi before eating some stew.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

There's a couple new options in Allston I've noticed lately but I haven't tried yet.

Lone Star Taco Bar, sort of upscale cocktails and tacos, the have a tofu taco that looks good:
http://www.urbandaddy.com/bos/food/1624 ... Restaurant

Allston Diner, looks like a few good brunch options and a burger:
http://allstondiner.com/

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

anyone know of himalayan bistro? it looks rather vegetarian friendly, but google is really striking out when i search for veganity.
http://himalayanbistro.net/indianmenu.php
i'll send them an e-mail cause this deal is still available for 5 more days.

$10 for $20 of Indian and Nepali cuisine Himalayan Bistro - https://www.google.com/offers/home?st=! ... 4M4B2D1WXK

::edit:: oh, also petit robert bistro has 3 vegan things on the menu, but it also has veal and stuff. :-( did any of you ever have a good experience there? i have credit at gilt, and it's $20 for $40 i'm really hesitating getting it. experiences much appreciated. <3
www.giltcity.com/invite/supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm 

Quarantined wrote:
There's a couple new options in Allston I've noticed lately but I haven't tried yet.

Lone Star Taco Bar, sort of upscale cocktails and tacos, the have a tofu taco that looks good:
http://www.urbandaddy.com/bos/food/1624 ... Restaurant

Allston Diner, looks like a few good brunch options and a burger:
http://allstondiner.com/

Allston Diner looks SO GOOD!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:13 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I heard Allston Diner was just okay, but I don't remember who told me that. I still want to try it, but Veggie Galaxy is so much easier for me to get to and has better hours.

Petit Robert Bistro was really good the one time I went there. I didn't look at the menu, just let the guy I was with order for me (I figured there were things on there I didn't want to see) and then I asked all my questions to the server to make sure what he ordered was vegan.

I haven't been to Himalayan Bistro... looks interesting though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:15 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Himalayan Bistro is in my neighborhood and I go there all the time but some people's level of comfort might be different from mine - there is definitely a language barrier and I'm never 100% sure I'm getting my point across. I asked which items don't have dairy or could be made without dairy and they gave me a bunch of options that were consistent with options at other Indian places I trust. Not sure if these already are vegan or if they leave out the ghee when I ask, but: the okra one (forget what it's called), baigan bartha (yay!), one of the lentil ones, samosas, pakora, the non-naan breads. I say go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

thanks pi and dave! (do you remember if the samosas seem like they're fried in the same vat of oil as the other meats? it makes my tummy unhappy.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

somerville (boston) MA- $35 for 3-course vegan dinner for two ($60 value) or $69 for four at True Bistro: http://www.bloomspot.com/boston/true-bi ... lk.twitter

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:23 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

we're free after 6:30 on sunday, (however, i think i want to reserve that slot for hanging out with the friends that we're staying with, since we are getting back late pretty much every day.)
and today & tomorrow between 6 & 8

we went to veggie galaxy yesterday, and are definitely not opposed to going back.

i don't know if parking "all-day" at the convention center allows for leaving and going back or not. if not, i might prefer going somewhere along the red line, or within walking distance, like my thai or something.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:10 am 
ugh

If anybody is at PAX today and wants to grab lunch (including you, SC), send me a PM. I work nearby.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:22 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm free tonight... not sure about tomorrow night.

I could meet anywhere! Depending on where I might not be able to make it til 6:15 though.

Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next