| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stockholm
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:36 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi! Is it ok to start a thread for Stockholm? I don't live there but my guy does so I've been there a few times and I'm heading over for Christmas. My fave vegan spot in STHLM has closed, Cafe Soddervegg. I'd love to know if there are other PPKers there!

Hermans
Fjällgatan 23B
A bit expensive. Gorgeous view of the water. Pay-by-the weight. Nice desserts.

Organic Green
Rehnsgatan 24
I've only been there for lunch and it's always been great. Vegetarian with some vegan options.

Lao Wei
Luntmakargatan 74
I've only been there for lunch, but it's always been great. There isn't a menu at lunch time, just one dish of tofu, rice and veg that is vegan.

Tevere
Skånegatan 11635
Pizza joint with vegan cheese option!

Kokyo
Sveavägen 105
Vegan-friendly. A couple blocks away from the main public library. I always get the vegan meatballs

Post subject: Re: Stockholm
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:04 am 
Lime and a Coconut

I don't live there but I have family there and visit as often as I can. I had no idea there was a pizza place with vegan cheese! And Kokyo sounds amazing, my cousin lives near the library, so that is definitely good news for me!

I like Naturbageriet Sattva, they have lots of vegan options like kanelsnurrar. There is also an Ethiopian restaurant on the southern side of Södermalm I really wanted to try but haven't had the chance yet. Last time I was there, I also tried a vegeburger from the Gatukök outside Slussen T-ban (opposite the Katarinahissen) and it was surprisingly good.

Also: Estrella Grillsmak chips are the best thing on earth. If you made chips out of God's balls instead of potatoes, I imagine they would taste like Estrella Grill chips. Every time I land in Sweden the first thing I stick in my mouth is a bag of those puppies. And I don't stop until I'm back in the air again.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:13 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I pretty much never ate out when I lived in Stockholm, but I drank a lot of tea at various cafés... Anyway Chutney on Katarina Bangata 19 is, or at least was, pretty vegan friendly (and it amused me when they shouted out my order as "a small vegan"). Also, the vegetarian shop Goodstore on Skånegatan 92 is worth a visit and good for vegan specialty items (like white chocolate). I can't believe it's already been three years since I moved!

Regarding Estrella I'm firmly in the OLW camp myself. My vote goes to OLW Grill & Peppar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:27 pm 

Aw man, I liked Cafe Soddervegg! I'm due back for a visit, the husband has never been and I want to go to the Cheap Mondays stores.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:45 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Sweden is so much more vegan friendly than Norway, we seem to be catching up slowly, but it's taking its time.

But the vegan places in Stockholm is yet a reason why I should go visit my friend who now studies there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:20 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Also, tångkaviar (caviar made of kelp) can be found in pretty much any ICA or Consum grocery store. My friend Maria taught me this amazing trick where you cut an avocado in half and scoop tångkaviar into the hollow where the pit used to be. Vad fin!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

There's also a really good store that's called Goodstore (hehe). It's 100 %vegetarian and 95% ecological and they have a lot of nice things.

It situated on Skånegatan 92, 116 37 Stockholm.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:51 pm 
Tofu Pup

Café String is a really nice café. i think they don't have any vegan options except for the hummus sandwich, but that was really good. and you can get coffee etc. with soy milk. so, not much, but it's a really nice place.

when i was in stockholm, Hermans had a student special or something like that.. i don't remember what it was exactly, but if you're 2 students, i think one pays 10 euro and the other one only has to buy a drink, then both can eat off the buffet.. which was awesome! the meatballs were sooo good. i don't think i remember the pricing correctly, but anyway it was a good offer in otherwise expensive stockholm.

i also liked the food at kafe 44, quite cheap & lots.

cafe södervegg was the best place ever.. so sad that they closed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:04 am 
Tofu Pup

Yay, PPKers who know Stockholm!!

I almost forgot about Naturbageriet Sattva! I like the vegan pecan pie! Goodstore is awesome too. I can’t speak Swedish really well so when I’m shopping on my own I go there for things I really need to read the ingredients for. It’s pretty close to that pizza place I mentioned.

Mmmmmm grillsmak chips! I’m going back to STHLM on Dec 15 so I have some in my near future!

[*]ICA has some pretty cool veg stuff. They have something kind of like Yves Veggie Ground Round, but it’s frozen in a bag like frozen corn. And that GoGreen (?) line is awesome too, I get the cream for making soup or desserts when I’m there.

I haven’t tried [*]Gatukök, and I’m often around T-Centralen looking for a quick bite to eat, so thanks for the recommendation!

I think I’ve walked by [*]Kafe 44, is it near Mosebacke? Didn’t know it served food, so thanks for that recommendation, too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:23 am 
Tofu Pup

Hej hej! I'll be in Stockholm for a few more weeks, anyone want to meet up for lunch?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:08 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

i love the vegan baguette at cafe mineur in gamla stan. i'm also a huuuge fan of chutney. blå lotus is nice, too-- right next door on katarina bangata. has anyone been to legumes on hornsgatan? that's next on my list to try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The isn't a Stockholm-question as such: Where do I get nutritional yeast? The internet keeps telling me ICA, but I'm obviously not looking in the right section.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:26 pm 

Chipmunk wrote:
The isn't a Stockholm-question as such: Where do I get nutritional yeast? The internet keeps telling me ICA, but I'm obviously not looking in the right section.

Health food shops usually have this one Image
Goodstore in Stockholm has Engevita.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:21 pm 

The only "health food" shops I seem to see are those Life places that are all over the place. The one I checked didn't have Bjäst (as far as I could tell). I'm moving into a different place soon, so I was considering stocking up on some ingredients from Goodstore then.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:10 pm 

Yeah, a lot of health food places here are heavy on the pills and light on the food. I think I bought my latest bag at a Hälsokraft shop, which is also a common chain. Gryningen in Stockholm (Folkungagatan something or other) is nice. They have miso and stuff, too. There are also a few places on the internet you can try. What part of Sweden do you live in?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:06 am 

Ah, thanks for the hint, I found a Hälsokraft branch near me. I'll see what they have. I'm close enough to Stockholm that I could go there on the weekend to pick up a few things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:37 am 

I'm having an amazingly hard time finding decaf that isn't already ground (I don't make coffee that often) and doesn't cost 100 kronor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:52 am 

Chipmunk wrote:
I'm having an amazingly hard time finding decaf that isn't already ground (I don't make coffee that often) and doesn't cost 100 kronor.

I honestly don't think anyone in Sweden drinks decaf! Here coffee means caffeine, just like if you can't drive with a manual transmission you can't drive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:41 am 

Oh, I don't pretend that what I drink is anything other than espresso-flavoured soy milk! I guess I'll have to import some decaffeinated espresso beans. Caffeine gives me migraines when it wears off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:50 am 

Chipmunk wrote:
Caffeine gives me migraines when it wears off.

That sucks. I think I'm immune to caffeine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:41 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Is there a list of good places in Stockholm? Or does anyone have anything to add to the recommendations already in this thread? I'm going to be there for two weeks starting next weekend want to plan some good food!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:18 pm 

The only places I've eaten in Stockholm were Naturbageriet Sattva and a place across the street from it that had some kind of vegetarian/vegan buffet where I went for tea and apple pie because it was pouring outside (Hermitage, I think). I live pretty close but never seem to get around to going to Stockholm (the weather has been a bit uncooperative).

Large coop stores sell individual-sized packets of vegan ice cream. Clearly, ice cream is very important.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:46 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm going to Stockholm today! I'm super excited about Kokyo, Goodstore, vegan caviar & the tofuline pistachio ice cream Chipmunk linked to. There's also a vegan cafe called Kafe 44 (I think) that I'm looking forward to trying.

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:00 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm in Cafe 44, they have good cake! I'm having trouble finding the Tofuline pistachio ice creams though, does anyone know which large coop stores in Stockholm have them? Do I need to be trying to find a Coop Forum rather than a Coop Konsum or a Coop Nära?

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:10 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

jojo wrote:
I'm in Cafe 44, they have good cake! I'm having trouble finding the Tofuline pistachio ice creams though, does anyone know which large coop stores in Stockholm have them? Do I need to be trying to find a Coop Forum rather than a Coop Konsum or a Coop Nära?

probably, but those are mostly situated outside the city.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next