| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did something change in thin mints? Are they vegan now?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:34 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I always heard thin mints have a milk ingredient and aren't vegan so that was that and I never looked at them.

The girl wanted a box of them and they do support right of trans people and they do give money to planned parenthood so why wouldn't I get them for her to eat.

So I read the box and I don't see the non vegan ingredient and I'm confused. The end says contained Wheat soy. The only ingredient I saw that I can think of questioning the veganishness of would be sugar, and that one gets debated.

It's different from what is listed here

http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.littlebrown ... onInfo.pdf

the box in my home says
Enriched Flour (Wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid) sugar, vegetable shortening (palm and/or partcially hydrogenated palm kernal oils), cocoa (processed with alkali), caramel color, contained less then 2% of; High fructose corn syrup, salt, baking soda, soy lecithin, natural and artificial flavor, peppermint oil. Conatined Wheat, soy.

did something change recently?

Post subject: Re: Did something change in thin mints? Are they vegan now?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:38 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

There are two companies that make the cookies, Little Brownie Baker doesn't make any vegan ones. ABC Bakery makes a few, and they recently took whey out of the Thin Mints.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:41 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

mrsbadmouth wrote:
There are two companies that make the cookies, Little Brownie Baker doesn't make any vegan ones. ABC Bakery makes a few, and they recently took whey out of the Thin Mints.

Ah so whether or not the ABC bakery thin mints are vegan now is a matter on what you stand on the sugar thing?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:19 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

they bake in richmond VA, so they most likely get their sugar from the domino plant in baltimore, which uses bone char.
(but they might occassionally get it from yonkers [stamped with a 1 at the beginning of the code], which is ion filtered, so they might. you never know.)

but living between the two locations, i often see MD sugar in the stores (marked with a 4 or M), so it's a lot more likely that they always get the MD sugar.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:12 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i ordered 2 boxes of thin mints for my husband from someone's daughter. i wonder if i will get vegan ones!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i had no idea! i haven't had a thin mint in probably over 8 years... i will definitely be scrutinizing family boxes this year!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:00 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Frequently you'll find girlscouts standing around outside a business. Maybe it would be worth checking those boxes and if they use ABC buying them out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

From what I've googled it seems the bakeries are regional - the GS in RI are selling cookies by ABC Bakery - they have several vegan varieties (not accounting for bone char sugar).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:48 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Honestly - I love the Girl Scouts, but GS cookies overall have just gotten gross over the years. The ingredients in them are just cheap - the chocolate is like wax.

I've taken to just giving a contribution to the Girl Scouts (then they get 100% of the proceeds, instead of having to pay for cookie costs) and making my own cookies. Chef Chloe has a great thin mints recipe too - http://chefchloe.com/sweets/vegan-thin-mints.html

But - I totally understand the convenience factor of getting cookies in a box too. They're not tasty enough to be worth it for me, but different strokes for different folks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:13 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i got my two boxes i ordered today and they have whey in them

booooo.

my husband is psyched though because now he doesnt have to share :-(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:40 am 
Naked Under Apron

^ Bummer! I ordered some from someone at work, over the phone, and I hope they're ok. She listed off all the varieties, and they were all the ones that ABC makes, so I can only assume they'll be fine. I'm surprised though that with only an hour between us, we'd get cookies from different bakeries.

I haven't had a Thin Mint in probably 12 years, so I hope my expectations aren't too high.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:05 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Bumping this because Food Lion, in Virginia anyway, carries knock-off Girl Scout cookies and the Tagalongs and Thin Mints are vegan (although I don't know about the sugar.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

The peanut butter ones are vegan too. and the lemon shortbread ones.

My friends daughter was selling GSC a few months back. I bought all the ones that were vegan. Yes the sugar is debatable. I am in California BTW. I know some regions have different ingredients in the cookies.

I keep the thin mints in the freezer. Still good!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:34 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Chiatroll wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

Ah so whether or not the ABC bakery thin mints are vegan now is a matter on what you stand on the sugar thing?

And palm oil.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:01 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Chicki wrote:
The peanut butter ones are vegan too. and the lemon shortbread ones.

My friends daughter was selling GSC a few months back. I bought all the ones that were vegan. Yes the sugar is debatable. I am in California BTW. I know some regions have different ingredients in the cookies.

I keep the thin mints in the freezer. Still good!

wait, the real girl scout ones? i'm just talking about the $2 generic food lion ones...the peanut butter and the thin mints are both vegan dupes (except the thin mint ones are light-colored in the middle rather than dark which is a bit weird, but still delicious.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:05 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I would also like to point out that, to my knowledge, several Dollar Tree cookies (girl scout fakes as well as chocolate covered grahams) seem to be vegan, as well. The ones in the plastic trays with wrap, anyway. Or I might just be dumb to ingredients.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:13 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Amy wrote:
^ Bummer! I ordered some from someone at work, over the phone, and I hope they're ok. She listed off all the varieties, and they were all the ones that ABC makes, so I can only assume they'll be fine. I'm surprised though that with only an hour between us, we'd get cookies from different bakeries.

As a GS co-leader on my way out (our girls are entering 7th grade, and are just too busy with other activities to fit meetings and activities in - bittersweet), we were told at cookie sales training that each council (not individual troop or service unit, but the governing council) interviews with/is "courted" by the two bakers (Little Brownie and ABC) to discuss incentives, costs, etc. That council then signs a 2-year agreement with the selected baker.

Our council used Little Brownie for several years, then switched to ABC this year - who offers the vegan varieties (majority of them are vegan, in fact, which was a good selling point for us this cookie season). Little Brownie has more of the "catchy" names for the cookies:

Do-Si-Dos
Samoas
Tagalongs
Trefoils

whereas ABC uses the descriptive names

Peanut Butter Sandwich
Caramel De-Lites
Peanut Butter Patties
Shortbread

Thin Mints are a GS official name, not specific to a baker - so that name is always used, regardless of baker.

On a side note, each council selects which varieties they will carry. Larger councils (i.e., Bakersfield in the CA Central Valley) tend to have a HUGE selection of different options; our smaller/less-populated council at one point only had 5 varieties (bumped up a bit this year under ABC). Vacationers to our area would frequently ask for varieties we'd never heard of.

Typed out way too much information to affirm that, indeed, one might see neighboring cities using different bakers - depending on where the council borders are drawn on the map.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:17 am 

beasknees wrote:
wait, the real girl scout ones? i'm just talking about the $2 generic food lion ones...the peanut butter and the thin mints are both vegan dupes (except the thin mint ones are light-colored in the middle rather than dark which is a bit weird, but still delicious.)

i find it fascinating that you live in the land of ABC bakers and didn't know that they make vegan girl scout cookies. (i wouldn't be surprised if ABC bakers sells the "knock-off"s to food lion during the drought (of girl scout purchases). they're probably exactly the same thing.

if the side of the food lion package says ABC or interbake, that's them.
looking at their private brands page, i definitely recognize the fudge grahams from one of the dollar stores (dollar tree maybe?) around here.
http://www.interbake.com/private-brands/
::edit: whoops! yep. oddspongeout mentioned the same thing above.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:21 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

supercarrot wrote:
beasknees wrote:

i find it fascinating that you live in the land of ABC bakers and didn't know that they make vegan girl scout cookies. (i wouldn't be surprised if ABC bakers sells the "knock-off"s to food lion during the drought (of girl scout purchases). they're probably exactly the same thing.

if the side of the food lion package says ABC or interbake, that's them.
looking at their private brands page, i definitely recognize the fudge grahams from one of the dollar stores (dollar tree maybe?) around here.
http://www.interbake.com/private-brands/
::edit: whoops! yep. oddspongeout mentioned the same thing above.

seriously! i feel as though i've been living a lie (although i do work weird hours and i can't remember the last time i've actually seen girl scouts out and about.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:26 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

beasknees wrote:
Bumping this because Food Lion, in Virginia anyway, carries knock-off Girl Scout cookies and the Tagalongs and Thin Mints are vegan (although I don't know about the sugar.)

A lot of store brands have girl scout type cookies that are vegan. There are some in Oregon as well that we saw at Fred Meyer. I haven't tried them because we ordered a lot of Girl Scout cookies this year.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

wow, I didn't even know that girl scout cookies were sold in stores! I always bought from Girl Scouts, to support the program (and my friends kids)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:25 pm 

whoops! i was misremembering. the dollar store i found the cookies in were dollar general. not dollar tree. they have so many cookies!
the brand is clover valley, distributed by dolgencorp (which is dollar general's parent company) the cookies and packaging look so much like interbake's, that it just has to be packaged by them. they even have cookies that look almost exactly like the "thank yous"