| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favourite non dairy milk?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:22 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I normally have 2 kinds on the go - homemade plain almond milk for muesli and the very occasional hot chocolate, and Kara coconut for cooking, sauces and tea. I thought I didn't like soya milk but I had a cup of tea in our work canteen recently and had a splash of their supermarket value one and I actually liked it. Changing tastebuds, I guess. I like making almond milk but it's got hardly any protein and obviously no supplements. Just curious to see what other people like for what purpose and I may do some experimenting.

Post subject: Re: Favourite non dairy milk?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:37 am 
Chard Martyr

I liked almond milk best back home but it's too expensive for me here and I don't have supplies to make my own. I really like Oatly here. I dislike the soya milk here- it tastes too much like actual soybeans than the stuff back home (I didn't really drink soy milk back home, either). I tried Rice Dream and it just... doesn't taste? Maybe I didn't try enough.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:50 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

This is a three milk household! Soya non curdle for OH for coffee, oat milk for my breakfast of ground rice & apple/or porridge, and a plain non sweetened soya one for making yogurt

Oat milk cooks Ok but gives a slightly grey colour as I found out last night when I made a grey rather than white sauce :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:20 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Meggs wrote:
I liked almond milk best back home but it's too expensive for me here and I don't have supplies to make my own. I really like Oatly here. I dislike the soya milk here- it tastes too much like actual soybeans than the stuff back home (I didn't really drink soy milk back home, either). I tried Rice Dream and it just... doesn't taste? Maybe I didn't try enough.

Where are you from, out of interest?

When I was in America, I found the almond milk undrinkably watery and the soy milk a bit bland. I think I like the beaniness here. Rice dream tastes very ricey and not very interesting. There was one soy milk that seemed to mimic the flavour of cow milk that I used to buy here... So Good, maybe? I'm currently on Morrison's 69p soymilk and doing fine (but I don't actually put in it tea or coffee and I don't generally eat cereal, so it only goes in smoothies).

When I was in Chester there was a little health food shop that seemed to have not updated its prices in ten years and you could get really nice, cheap hemp milk there, but it's twice the price at the one where I live now. I make my own hemp/almond/sesame/cashew milk, periodically.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 am 
Ninja Master

I really like Alpro's light unsweetened soy milk, the fresh stuff. I drink it plain.

I've tried other soymilks and find them either powdery or really beany. Gag. I don't even realy like alpro's other soy milks either.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:18 pm 
Hip Goiter

I need to try that Alpro light unsweetened. Sounds like it'll be the closest thing to my Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla...which I have guzzled like water for like 6 years. Ahh! I went to the store today and saw the Rice Dream and Alpro regulars. I did try Oatly before and I liked it but not for cooking. Where do you get drinkable coconut milk?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Gulliver wrote:
When I was in America, I found the almond milk undrinkably watery and the soy milk a bit bland. I think I like the beaniness here.

I agree. I like UK beany soy milk and I hate the almond milk here...but my partner and many, many other people I know love it.

I heard that the UK has Bonsoy (Australian) pretty widely available. joshua got me hooked on that shiitake and I wish we had it here. It is beanier, but tastes cleaner (in a good way, like in a fresh soy milk just made out of soy beans from Japan) way.

I like all the alpro stuff I've tried. You lot have the non-dairy thing down pat!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

I usually have Alpro soya milk in but I only use it for sauces, baking & drinking chocolate. I usually buy some Chocolate Oatly when it is on offer. (My nephew loves it but it is very sweet) I also occasionally buy in Almond milk to make drinking chocolate with because the marzipan chocolateyness is an awesome taste sensation! It's just SOOOO expensive.

My friend mixes rice & soya milk to put on muesli & it is lovely. I've never liked any milk on cereal before (I pour orange juice on my muesli) but this was delicious.

Can you let us have the almond milk recipe please? It might make it more affordable to drink my body weight in hot chocolate!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:22 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Randi, I've seen the Kara coconut milk in Holland and Barrett and Waitrose.

'Nother fan of Alpro light unsweetened, plus Sainsbury's own brand unsweetened. I like the taste of Oatly better, but it always separates in my tea so I've mostly stopped buying it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:29 pm 

I just usually use soy milk. I find that nut milks are generally very expensive over here. I hate Alpro soy milk though. I usually buy supermarkets own brand fortified soy, both sweetened and unsweetened. I've tried and liked Tesco's, Sainsburys and Waitrose. I think that there is very little difference between them.

The M&S one is awful though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:05 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I like the regular Alpro (fresh) soy milk. Not quite enough to drink it by the glass, but it's fine for muesli and porridge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:29 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I use Alpro light 99% of the time - I find the regular a bit too rich & creamy - though I often buy in Vanilla for baking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:33 am 

For homemade almond milk. I soak 1 cup of almonds with skin on in water overnight. I buy the almonds in bulk from Suma. Drain, and add to blender with water. I use 3 cups but my husband uses 2.5 because it's creamier, but obviously you don't get as much. Blend and strain though a nut milk bag or similar. I use a VitaMix but I know people who use a normal blender; you just have to blend it longer and probably lose a bit more pulp. It goes off quite quickly so you can't make much at a time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:54 am 

Each week we drink on average:

4-5 cartons of fresh alpro std: lattes, on cereal, neat out the carton
1-2 cartons of fresh alpro chocolate: neat out the carton
1/2 carton of fresh alpro light: baking / cooking
1/2 carton of fresh alpro cream: cooking, desserts

We have a soya milk maker that's been used approx 0 times. We used to prefer So Good, til they changed their recipe and became hard to find. It's too bad the organic alpro tastes like crepe. We've just had a couple of cartons of their new almond and hazelnut milks - each were OK, but shalln't buy again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:16 am 
Ninja Master

I used to really like my homemade soymilk when I had a soyquick, but I found it only lasted a couple of days before it separated and also, my soyquick died within a year. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:28 am 
Chard Martyr

Gulliver wrote:
Where are you from, out of interest?
America.
I almost exclusively drank Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla, too, RJM. The soy milks back home seem thicker maybe than here? Not sure if that's right, but the taste is definitely different to me. Probably sweeter, too, even unsweetened. Maybe I'll give Alpro light unsweetened another go but I really just think soya milk isn't for me, on either continent. I had some almond milk (don't remember the brand, it was new to me) in Canada when I went in January and it was really almond-y and sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:08 am 

Mr Flibble wrote:
Each week we drink on average:

4-5 cartons of fresh alpro std: lattes, on cereal, neat out the carton
1-2 cartons of fresh alpro chocolate: neat out the carton
1/2 carton of fresh alpro light: baking / cooking
1/2 carton of fresh alpro cream: cooking, desserts

We have a soya milk maker that's been used approx 0 times. We used to prefer So Good, til they changed their recipe and became hard to find. It's too bad the organic alpro tastes like crepe. We've just had a couple of cartons of their new almond and hazelnut milks - each were OK, but shalln't buy again.

Ha. We struggle to use up one carton before it goes off.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Chickpea wrote:
My friend mixes rice & soya milk to put on muesli & it is lovely. I've never liked any milk on cereal before (I pour orange juice on my muesli) but this was delicious.
When I lived in Hamburg I used to buy a dirt cheap soy/rice blend that was delicious. I think it was only about 60 cents and I have yet to find anything that gets near to how good it was.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:05 am 
Ninja Master

I used to add a couple of tbsp of rice to my soybeans when I made soymilk. I forget who told me that tip but it definitely made the milk taste nicer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

Efcliz wrote:
For homemade almond milk. I soak 1 cup of almonds with skin on in water overnight. I buy the almonds in bulk from Suma. Drain, and add to blender with water. I use 3 cups but my husband uses 2.5 because it's creamier, but obviously you don't get as much. Blend and strain though a nut milk bag or similar. I use a VitaMix but I know people who use a normal blender; you just have to blend it longer and probably lose a bit more pulp. It goes off quite quickly so you can't make much at a time.

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:28 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Mr Flibble wrote:
We used to prefer So Good, til they changed their recipe and became hard to find. It's too bad the organic alpro tastes like crepe. We've just had a couple of cartons of their new almond and hazelnut milks - each were OK, but shalln't buy again.

This.

The old recipe So Good was really nice, but then they made it all beany, and everywhere stopped stocking it anyway. The chocolate Alpro is good heated up or straight from the fridge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:55 pm 
Hip Goiter

So apparently I now live ridiculously close to a Planet Organic! I found the Kara coconut milk! Didn't try it yet but excited. (Also found Redwood meaty things for 3 for the price of 2! Yebop!)

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:14 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I used to buy fresh Alpro, either light or the regular kind, or Sainsbury's own brand. Tesco's UHT stuff is disgusting for anything where the flavour isn't masked and Bonsoy tasted malty to me. Waitrose has own-brand soy milk?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:24 am 
Impressive boner

We use Asda's UHT sweetened soy milk for drinks and cereal or the Asda Smartprice unsweetened for cooking. I love the Ecomil almond milk but it's pretty expensive so we only get the odd carton now and again as a treat.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:00 am 

Sluggie wrote:
The chocolate Alpro is good heated up or straight from the fridge.

It's best with a shot or two of De Kuyper Creme de Menthe :)