| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The unruly nails of Cunningham the bunny
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

So...I got Cunningham, my bunny, a little over a year ago. I got him from the Humane Society so he came neutered, with all his shots, etc. Everything has gone perfectly with him except one thing - he has the nails of a velociraptor. It's too the point where I have to put on a suit of armor before i pick him up. How do you go about cutting a rabbit's nails? I couldn't imagine doing it myself without losing most, if not all my fingers in the process. Do vets do it? I mentioned it to a groomer and he looked at me like I had two heads.

Post subject: Re: The unruly nails of Cunningham the bunny
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

Holy cow, you haven't cut his nails in a year? That's gotta suck for you :( You can cut them pretty easily if you can see the quick. I used to wrap Raven up like a burrito, put her in a trance on her back and pull out a paw to work on one at a time. She had black nails though, so I just did it every 6-8 weeks and didn't take much off. They can do it at the vet or rabbit rescue but it is about $20 I think. I'm sure there is a youtube video on how to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:14 pm 
Inflexitarian

It seemed like his nails just grew out of nowhere. I was cuddling him and holding him one day and the next he had claws. I really don't feel comfortable cutting them myself. He's a sweet bunny and has never bitten me or anything else but I think me wrapping him up like a burrito and holding him down wouldn't work well for either of us. Guess I've got to take him to the vet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

Some rabbit rescue groups offer nail trims at adoptions fairs -- look into those, maybe? Check the House Rabbit Society's site for local groups.

But it's not that difficult to do yourself, once you learn how. I have a pair of little kitty clippers. You can use a small flashlight to help you see the quick. If he's pretty docile, you can flip him on his back, resting comfortably between your thighs or something, and he'll get sort of 'hypnotized' and you can quickly go through and trim them. Mine do not like being picked up or held but they've grown accustomed to this process, for as often as it's needed. I just make sure they get put back down in the pile o' hay or with a treat so they can diffuse their anger at being handled with tasty treats.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

Ok, you guys are making this sound really easy but I'm still really scared (which is odd because i had no problem clipping my cats or dogs nails). I think my biggest issue is one, I'm afraid how he'll react and two the fact that his nails and fur color are virtually the same. In fact, unless you're holding him you don't really even notice that he has nails. Until my anxiety goes away about being bitten or traumatizing him so much he'll never want to do it again I'm just going to take him to the vet. I do want to adopt a friend for him so I need to get used to this whole "hypnotizing" thing otherwise those vet bills are going to get ridiculous! Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:55 am 
Nailed to the V

You could always take him to the vet this time and have them show you so you feel more comfortable doing it yourself in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:37 am 
Inflexitarian

blisslikethis wrote:
You could always take him to the vet this time and have them show you so you feel more comfortable doing it yourself in the future.

This is exactly what I'm going to do. I was feeling brave this weekend so I tried to flip him over and he completely freaked out! I ended up giving him tons of treats as a "I'm sorry". After that incidenet I made an appointment at the vet so hopefully they can show me some good tricks to the trade.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:02 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

the new york rabbit rescue group sells a nail trimming video, here.

but i can tell you how they do it. they don't flip the bunny over, no trancing, no bunny burrito. they put the bunny on a towel on a table, about waist high or so to you. you calm bunny down by petting him, then slide him close to your body. his left side is now squished up against your body. clip his front right nails with the trimmers. the back right nails are done by slowly lifting his front up, and wiggling his right back leg out to the side. he is now standing on his left foot, supported by you. trim those right foot nails. switch sides, and you're done!

it sounds more difficult than it is, trust me. the video will show you all you need to know, and i'm sure someone uploaded it to youtube or something. but it's less stressful on bunnies, such as elderly, sick, or ones with high anxiety.

anyway, good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm with you on this GuineaPig. I had to do a quick wing snip on Moll today because she grew in enough new feathers to be able to start divebombing and attacking my dad again.

She hates having her wings handled ( don't blame her and I wish she wasn't so evil that this was necessary because I don't believe in wing clipping birds ) and in addition to 5 bites on my hands, I'm scratched up from birdie nails. I'm not dealing with trimming black nails on a tiny, squirm bomb of a conure, so she is going to the parrot store on Wednesday (dad told me to try to trade her in for a nicer model).

The macaw holds his feet out to be trimmed. He is such a gentleman.

Sometimes it is better to just pay somebody else to torture our pets for us.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:06 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I used to trim my bunny's nails all the time and I never flipped him over. He was a hefty 13 pounds so that wouldn't have worked for me. My bunny was a very relaxed guy and was used to being snuggled by me, so I would wait until he was laying down on the floor and then I would casually get on my hands an knees above him (so that he was sort of entrapped by my body- with my hands where his front paws were and my knees back by his back paws). Then I had easy access to his front paws and he was mostly a good sport about it, but if he wasn't in the mood, I would let him hop away and do his thing. For his back paws, I would do the same sort of hands and knees move except from the side so that my right hand would be near his right back foot. I could gently get him to move his back leg out a bit and then I would have good access to that back paw.

I think that going to the vet for one time is a good idea to see how it is done. I had to do that with my cat because I was new to cats and I had no idea that you had to push their paws a little bit to get the nails to come out so that you can trim them. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:39 am 
Impressive boner

Do you think your bunny would handle it better if they couldn't see what you were doing?

I've never clipped a bun's nails, but I have a guinea pig who freaks out and bites when I so much as try to touch her front paws. She's freaked out so badly at the vets once during nail clippings that her breathing went funny and they had to stop before finishing. I get around it by doubling up a thermal sock and putting it on her head. It doesn't restrict her breathing and she doesn't get half as stressed out when she can't see what I'm doing. It's still a two person job though.