| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PSA: City Table (Boston) has Vegan/Veg menu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I've never been here, can't tell you about the quality, but a friend just brought this to my attention, and I am hella excited. Menu is very descriptive, and it looks like a good compromise place to dine. If my dad visits for my birthday, this is where we'll be going.

http://www.citytableboston.com/vegan

Post subject: Re: PSA: City Table (Boston) has Vegan/Veg menu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've never heard of this place, and it looks all right, but it annoys me that the vegan options are basically just veggies with the cheese parts taken out. Why can't these kinds of places ever offer some protein like beans or something? Anyway, ranting aside, it is nice to see them take the trouble to specifically list vegan options.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:50 am 

I agree with you. I can't deal with either my dad at a veg place or eating salad. I mean, I don't want to bag on salad too much, but ugh. I want hot food!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:50 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thanks for the PSA! (I wish places with vegan menus would expand to vegan desserts! My favorite part of the meal.) Another place that I would recommend going with an omni is Estragon in the South End. It's tapas and they have a bunch of vegan ones, conveniently labeled vegan on the menu! Also good drinks (no vegan desserts, though).

http://www.estragontapas.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:08 pm 

Nice one, Dave! Yeah, maybe there should be a thread of area restaurants that have good labeling or that are good for omnis, too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:33 pm 
WELFARIST!

Quarantined wrote:
I've never heard of this place, and it looks all right, but it annoys me that the vegan options are basically just veggies with the cheese parts taken out. Why can't these kinds of places ever offer some protein like beans or something? Anyway, ranting aside, it is nice to see them take the trouble to specifically list vegan options.

Same here. It's grilled veggies and salad, pretty much. I feel like that's the same option I can get at most places.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
Nice one, Dave! Yeah, maybe there should be a thread of area restaurants that have good labeling or that are good for omnis, too.

That would be a cool idea. A bit off-topic, but my SO has a gift card for Top of the Hub restaurant, which is meaty and swanky, and I wonder if they'd be receptive to my calling up and asking them to whip up something vegan? I did that once, at a fancy country club, and it was pretty good.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Quarantined wrote:
A bit off-topic, but my SO has a gift card for Top of the Hub restaurant, which is meaty and swanky, and I wonder if they'd be receptive to my calling up and asking them to whip up something vegan? I did that once, at a fancy country club, and it was pretty good.

It's worth a try, we got special bruins tickets once that included a fixed menu fancy dinner, and we called the garden ahead and they were super accomodating.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:15 am 

Ha, BAP, it was you I was thinking of! I won Celtics tickets at work with passes to Legends, and I tried to call ahead, but I couldn't get through to anyone! :( I ended up having a tomato and mozzarella salad with cucumbers subbed for the mozzarella. (And then chips and cracker jack because I was starving and a little tipsy.)

I would definitely call, Quarantined. I feel like a chef worth his mustard would see it as a fun challenge or something. I know Wilson would sometimes be nervous about making a special dish, but he seemed to like preparing a really nice, satisfying dish. (Well, for me anyway; the other vegans that went to his restaurant (not with me) ended up just getting fries. I think he was disappointed.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:22 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Quarantined wrote:
That would be a cool idea. A bit off-topic, but my SO has a gift card for Top of the Hub restaurant, which is meaty and swanky, and I wonder if they'd be receptive to my calling up and asking them to whip up something vegan?

I've been to Top of the Hub and they made me something really good. I don't think I gave them advance notice, although the guy I was with might have mentioned it when he made reservations.

I ask all the time at restaurants and usually end up with awesome food!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Pi. wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
That would be a cool idea. A bit off-topic, but my SO has a gift card for Top of the Hub restaurant, which is meaty and swanky, and I wonder if they'd be receptive to my calling up and asking them to whip up something vegan?

I've been to Top of the Hub and they made me something really good. I don't think I gave them advance notice, although the guy I was with might have mentioned it when he made reservations.

I ask all the time at restaurants and usually end up with awesome food!

really? that's awesome. I am definitely going to do it now. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
Ha, BAP, it was you I was thinking of! I won Celtics tickets at work with passes to Legends, and I tried to call ahead, but I couldn't get through to anyone! :( I ended up having a tomato and mozzarella salad with cucumbers subbed for the mozzarella. (And then chips and cracker jack because I was starving and a little tipsy.)

I would definitely call, Quarantined. I feel like a chef worth his mustard would see it as a fun challenge or something. I know Wilson would sometimes be nervous about making a special dish, but he seemed to like preparing a really nice, satisfying dish. (Well, for me anyway; the other vegans that went to his restaurant (not with me) ended up just getting fries. I think he was disappointed.)

Yeah, we need another thread about sports stadium food. I called up Fenway last year and managed to talk to someone in catering about the hotdogs- they said they're vegan, but they didn't know about the buns, I was supposed to follow up but I never did. I'll try again this year.

I usually just end up eating before and after, but it would be nice to have a hot dog during a game sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:50 am 
ugh

Dave the Cat wrote:
Thanks for the PSA! (I wish places with vegan menus would expand to vegan desserts! My favorite part of the meal.) Another place that I would recommend going with an omni is Estragon in the South End. It's tapas and they have a bunch of vegan ones, conveniently labeled vegan on the menu! Also good drinks (no vegan desserts, though).

http://www.estragontapas.com

There's a deal for Estragon on Living Social today: http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/2-bo ... d-on-tapas

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman