| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:12 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

So excited! Sara Beth Russert (of Mighty O Donuts Food Network Champ fame) is doing a raw desserts class at my local WF this Saturday night. Signed up to take it - hoping enough others signed up so it doesn't get cancelled.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:12 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Phee I am so glad to hear you are doing well on this, and feeling better!!

I fell off the wagon at day six, but notice that i don't want sugar as much. I am thinking I like your idea of not chasing perfection!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

If something has 0g of sugar I dont bother to check, of course. If it does have an amount of sugar in it I check to see if its added or not, if it isn't I still eat it. Thats what everyone is doing, right? I do still allow myself to eat something so as to not deprive myself too much. just to give an idea Ive had: junior mints(toooo sweet and made my stomach and head hurt), smoothie(it prob had added sugar drank maybe 8oz) Maffers' cookie, and this frozen pizza dough I bought that has 1g of added sugar a serving ( I had that two different times)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:32 am 
Semen Strong

http://news.yahoo.com/alec-baldwin-reve ... 38064.html

Alec Baldwin has appeared noticeably trimmer during appearances of late and the "30 Rock" star says the key to dropping the excess pounds is a bit bittersweet. "I gave up sugar. I lost 30 pounds in four months,"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:01 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My plan is to do this again starting in February (with the exception of the 3rd, which is my boyfriend's birthday). This includes alcohol. I remember feeling really, really great the last time I did it. Trying to cut back a little more now, so it's less painful when I do it for real. Onward!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:14 pm 
Tofu Pup

I want to kill my sugar addiction, but it's hardcore. I'm not stupid; I know the risks of eating too much sugar and the benefits of kicking it. That being said, in practice, it's next to impossible. Has anyone gradually weaned themselves off of processed sugar or does it have to be "cold turkey" to be successful? I hope I can do this, but it seems so daunting right now...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:03 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

nemesis wrote:
I want to kill my sugar addiction, but it's hardcore. I'm not stupid; I know the risks of eating too much sugar and the benefits of kicking it. That being said, in practice, it's next to impossible. Has anyone gradually weaned themselves off of processed sugar or does it have to be "cold turkey" to be successful? I hope I can do this, but it seems so daunting right now...

You can do it! I, personally, like to go cold turkey. I find that if I "wean" what I really do is have a small amount, and then just have more by rationalizing that I've already had some. If you're like that, go cold turkey. Otherwise, weaning yourself off it should be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:13 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'd like to report success...taste buds are officially reset to old standards and fruit and dark chocolate are the best things ever! It took about three weeks total but it was well worth it, my skin is already thanking me :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:15 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Congrats on the success, mel b! Fruit and dark chocolate really are wonderful when you can taste the subtle sweetness in them.

ScooterDiva, would you mind sharing the recipes from your raw desserts class? You don't have to share actual recipes, but just what you guys made. I'm always looking for more inspiration.

nemesis, I think weaning yourself off slowly could work, but only if you don't have the mindset of "I already ate some, so no damage in eating more". For me, the first time I did no-sugar, I had to go cold turkey because when I tried doing it slowly, I found myself always saying I would start again the next day which really got me nowhere. Now I can say that I'll eat something sweet only on Mondays and not feel deprived the rest of the week since I know I can have some on Monday, not I'm never going to eat sweets again, so I'm going to over-do it today. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:01 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

If Alec Baldwin can do it, so can I! I hope. Thanks for the thread, kicking sugar definitely requires support and steely resolve.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:25 pm 

Ive been eating sugar more lately, but no where near as much as I was (pms). Im doing really well with not beating myself up about things and taking things one day at a time. I just had something sweet and it wasnt that great(i ate it anyway). I just realized peanut chews are probably in the candy store across from the store I work in (I work in the mall) Ive never had them so I buying one if there are, so....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:47 pm 

How is it going?! Im back to my low sugar self now that pms is over.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think there is need for a "no-salt support thread"....anyone with me?! Teehee!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:00 pm 

Oh gosh, I'd die.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:31 am 
Tofu Pup

1strangegirlbygolly! wrote:
I think there is need for a "no-salt support thread"....anyone with me?! Teehee!

Let's just start a "Down with Delicious" thread and then commit suicide!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Salt to a certain extent is necessary-that being said, I generally avoid high sodium content foods and cook with very little salt (but definitely some)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

lillianp wrote:
Salt to a certain extent is necessary-that being said, I generally avoid high sodium content foods and cook with very little salt (but definitely some)

This is definitely more what I meant! I love salt, too, but I am unintentionally eating more of it than I want to in prepackaged vegan foods 'n stuff! I want to cut back, is all. Maybe I'll make some gomashio. And shut up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:30 pm 

I think youre on to something, I just cant committ to that right now. I eat way too much though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:50 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Welp, finished a full work week without sugar, and very happy! I refused multiple drinks today - even at work - and didn't struggle. Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:34 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I could definitely do with a low salt thread. I have always loved it but it is getting ridiclous now. Sometimes my mouth hurts because I over salt certain things so much. I know about adding herbs and spices and all that shiitake but none of them taste like salt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Guys, I made us a low-sodium support thread! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've been back on low sugar for 9 days now and feel great. I use truvia and liquid stevia when I want to add a bit of sweetness to foods or tea, and eat fruits that are lower in sugar, like berries. I'm also staying away from bread and rice for now because they tend to make me crave more carby foods. I don't expect to eat this way forever but it is helping me retrain my taste buds to enjoy more vegetables.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:17 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'm thinking I'm going to go no-sugar again for awhile. There's just too much here... it's kind of killing me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:48 pm 
Semen Strong

I've been sugar-free since Sunday before last (3/18). Its great to cut it out, but I did find myself fantasizing about donuts the other day. My almost sugar treat is a banana with almond butter. 12 days down, 9 days to go before I get to 21, at which point it becomes easier, right?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:14 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Congrats on being sugar free for 2 weeks now, Tofulish! It does get easier, and I've found that sometimes a date or two will satisfy my cravings whereas before, it wouldn't have done anything except make me want more sugar. And bananas w/almond butter is one of my favorite snacks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next