| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 128  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:48 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Amandah wrote:
Hi!! I'm doing my first full in November!! I've done a few halfs and other things, but am so pumped to step it up to a full!

Good luck!!! Give us the report after the race. I'm addicted to marathons-I love the pain, the mental toughness and the missing toenails. I also love food and can enjoy it even more when I am running a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:00 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Quote:
I love the pain, the mental toughness and the missing toenails. I also love food and can enjoy it even more when I am running a lot!

Yes, this!
I've never done a marathon, but I do love long runs and hope to do a full within the next year or two. (Entered the lottery for NYC this year but did not get in.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:10 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I'm thinking about the Big Sur marathon. has anyone run it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:35 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm working up to 5k again after about a six month break from running all together. I'm hoping that I'll be able to run that much by the end of January.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:05 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Good luck with your training, everyone! I'm envious of those of you who can run for hours at a time. So impressive!

I finally got back out after a two-week sick break. I ran 4.5 miles today which is my longest run to date. I'm so glad to be able to get out there again! The weather has been really dreary and cold, but I really love running in it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:23 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I ran 5 miles today!!!! I am proud for today because I did the C25K during the summer and have since slacked off.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

2 days of 4-milers this weekend and it felt great. Man, if I could just show up to work an hour -- even half an hour later than normal -- I really think I would run more than once or twice a week. It sucks. It's just so dark in the AM here right now, and the park is a totally different place once the sun is up. Ugh.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:16 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

alice1drland wrote:
2 days of 4-milers this weekend and it felt great. Man, if I could just show up to work an hour -- even half an hour later than normal -- I really think I would run more than once or twice a week. It sucks. It's just so dark in the AM here right now, and the park is a totally different place once the sun is up. Ugh.

what about running at lunch time? sometimes I'm able to get a run in at noon time.

I signed up for Big Sur in May!!

PS anyone have a garmin forerunner 405 that they are having problems with. My battery keeps draining really fast.....much faster than it should be.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:49 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

kecapcrazy wrote:
alice1drland wrote:

what about running at lunch time? sometimes I'm able to get a run in at noon time.

There's nowhere for me to shower (I'm a serious sweaty mess at the end of a run), otherwise I'd consider it. Not to mention I'm the kind of person who, if I don't get my run/workout in at the very start of my day, it's not going to happen at all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:38 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

kecapcrazy wrote:
I'm thinking about the Big Sur marathon. has anyone run it?

yes, i have! big sur is one of my favorite places in the world so it was an amazing day. i can't imagine there are many marathons that are more beautiful. running on highway one is such a different experience than driving it, and it's only shut down one day a year for the marathon. it's supposed to be a very difficult marathon because of the hills, but personally i'm slow but strong so hills are better for me than a fast flat route. i'm excited for you! i'd like to do it again one day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh man i did shuttle runs tonight and they kicked my asparagus. I was meant to do 3 sets but only managed 1. Pathetic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:38 am 
Bathes in Braggs

That Big Sur marathon sounds amazing.

I love it when a road is shut down for a race.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:13 am 
Nailed to the V

Noob question: I added a 5k jog into my weekly routine & my knees are sore. Is this something that goes away with conditioning like asparagus pain on a bike? Or am I stomping around too much?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:49 am 
WELFARIST!

Laser Ox wrote:
Noob question: I added a 5k jog into my weekly routine & my knees are sore. Is this something that goes away with conditioning like asparagus pain on a bike? Or am I stomping around too much?

Do you have good shoes? very important! Sometimes, even with good shoes, a nice pair of cushioning inserts will help lessen the impact. They helped me.

But even with good shoes, yes, there's an adjustment period for the body to get used to the new impacts. It took me about six months for all the little aches and pains to go away (shin splints bedeviled me, though mildly, I could usually run through them or I'd just back off for a session and take it easier). Try and run light-footed (avoid stomping!). I tend to get a back achy in my lower right back and when that happens, I feel like I've run too heavily and I try and step more lightly next time around. Any fairly minor aches and pains and muscle soreness should go away in time with conditioning and custom to the new motion and impacts of running.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Laser Ox wrote:

If you are stomping at all it is too much. You should be moving vertically as little as possible and landing mid-foot.

Another thing I do is to think of my whole leg as propelling me, right from the foot to the top of my hips, so that all of those muscles are working to push me forward and none is taking the brunt. This also minimizes the side to side swaying that some people do, which adds a potentially damaging twisting.

Are the rest of your muscles sore? Whenever you start something new you're going to ache a bit. Have you gone from no running directly to 5k? Even if you are in good shape this would be hard on you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

I haven't run in years, but I do lots of bike & spin cardio. My lungs can do it, but it's the motion that is confusing me. I tend to shuffle my feet, so I started imitating other joggers by lifting my knees up high. It sounds like that was a bad idea. I was fitted for new shoes, so that's fine. I'm not sure if I should be visualizing a round or elliptical shape. I'll try out your ideas next time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:19 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Laser Ox wrote:

I second what everyone else has said.
But also, did you go straight from nothing to running 5k every week?
That can be really brutal on the body. I don't know how much (if at all) you were running before, but a good rule of thumb is to never add more than 10% of the distance you've been running. That is, if you were running 10 miles/ week, next week you can run about 11, the week after that 12.5, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:35 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

it's normal for me to have sore knees when i start running after some time off, or while increasing distance. i would only worry if it lasts more than a few weeks or if it's severe enough that it changes your gait.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:53 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I did couch to 5km earlier this year, and then kept on doing a 5-6km run each weekend day till I started p90x in September when I was scared of overdoing it or not having enough energy to get through the workouts. Turns out I underestimated my energy levels but it took me till this weekend to get back out jogging. I did ~5km Saturday and Sunday mornings, and it felt really freakin good. I did have pretty sore legs later yesterday [Sunday] and this morning, but I think that's just re-adjusting to the movements.
Going to try and keep up 2-3 run/jogs a week on top of p90x, maybe trying to increase my distance to more like 7-8km over the next couple of months, but we'll see how that goes....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:01 am 
Bathes in Braggs

This morning was my first early morning run below zero - Celsius to all you Farenheiters. -6° but there was no wind, a rare thing here, and a full moon, so while I had to push myself out the door it ended up being a lovely morning for a run.

My biggest concern from here on through the winter is ice. I live in a hilly and wet city where temps are often above freezing during the day and fall below through the night so icy patches are everywhere. I usually run in the early morning dark, though only on well-lit streets.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I am also worried about the winter. Usually, it's no problem because I live in Vancouver where it's never hot and never cold. And I am totally okay with rain. But its already snowing and getting down to -10 now (what the fizzle?!). I can't run on a treadmill for too long because it really aggravates my IT band which I have worked so hard to get under control. Boooo... I wish we had an indoor track or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm so impressed with outdoor winter runners. I am a huge wimp if it's under 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

It's finally cool enough that I can run outside! Today I did 2 miles which was rough because my body is beat down from these last few weeks. It felt great though and there's a ton of great trails right off campus so I'm going to try to do less elliptical at the gym and more outdoor running.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:38 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I can jog between 2-3 miles, but I decided today while I was out with my group that I am going to do a marathon by the time I am 40. I'd rather by 35 (in two years), but I'm giving myself extra time since i've just barely started pushing myself harder. I love it though. One day I will belong to the "running" thread for reals. You're my heroes.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

Does anyone else have their ears hurt from running in the cold/wind? I think I'm going to buy one of those fleece headbands that I've always though were dorky. I need my ears covered!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 128  Next