| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: spencer's market (a weekly group buying deal site for food)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

this week's deal is for food for lover's queso.
http://spencersmarket.com/invitations/jgbn9t

11.98 for 4 jars plus shipping.

at first i thought the shipping was 4.95, but when i went to the purchase screen, i saw "USPS postage is $10.95 for a single order and $14.95 for a multiple unit order." i am so confused. their general shipping page has a tier:
UPS SHIPPING CHARGES (48 STATES)
UP TO $25.00 -- $4.95
$25.01 - $50.00 -- $7.95
Over $50.00 --$9.95

so either each jar comes out to be 5.75 or 4.86 depending on your choice. (i totally thought it was 4.25 per jar because of the UPS chart, but i guess this stuff is more expensive to ship than something more lightweight. this website needs to be more clear about their shipping practices. meh) whateves.

Post subject: Re: spencer's market (a weekly group buying deal site for fo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:13 am 
Nooch of Earl

I just found this thread in a search. Just joined Spencer's today after seeing a FB ad. Anyone have experiences ordering from them? Did you ever figure out the shipping thing, Supercarrot?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i'm thinking the weirdness in shipping difference was because the jars were so heavy.

they're a middleman type of place, so any negative experiences will be the fault of the vendors themselves, since the vendors mail it out to you, and not spencer's.

i got my box o'queso about 10 days after the order, but it was heavy, and they're in texas, so that's fine. the jars were each individually wrapped (and securely packing taped) with bubble wrap they all survived the trip. so-far so-good!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

this week's deal is for upton's seitan & tamales. (i've heard amazing things about it. i'm super excited to try it) $30 once all the shipping is added in.

i tried to order 2 sets, but the quantity box kept reverting to 1. it might be an issue with chrome, so if you want more than one, try another browser, and report back. someone on vegan coupons said they ordered 3, so i don't know what's going on there.

and it turns out the vendor doesn't start shipping things out until the deal ends. so that's why there was that window in my report above.

One (1) 8oz. package of Traditional Seitan: For you to season as you please. We like it with soy sauce in a stir-fry.
One (1) 8oz. package of Ground Beef-Style Seitan: On pizza, in lasagna, on nachos-it's so versatile.
One (1) 8oz. package of Italian Sausage-Style Seitan: Make up some “meatballs” and serve with spaghetti.
One (1) 8oz. package of Chorizo-Style Seitan: Slightly spicy, it’s fabulous in chili or tacos!
Two (2) 8oz. packages of Limited-Edition Bacon-Style Seitan: BLT anyone? Also great with sautéed veggies.
Four (4) 4oz. Tamales: Corn masa tamales stuffed with chorizo style seitan and black beans.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:12 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I was all over that seitan deal! I recently ordered kale chips, and...something else I've eaten and can't remember, maybe? The kale chips got a little crushed in shipment, although they were packed really well. I think they just got jostled into crumbs, but they were tasty nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i had a jostling issue too. (i initially thought something had gotten into the jars before they were sealed, because it was so freaky)

i hadn't opened my jars of queso until a few weeks after receiving it, and pressure had built up in the jars, making the creepiest slow explosion (after the initial rush) i had no idea that could happen. it looked like something was breathing underneath the queso.

i'd love to upload the video, but i'd be afraid of negatively affecting the tates' business. i sent them the video before they told me this can happen in shipping, because i thought it might have been a bad batch, and they were really awesome about it, and sent me another shipment (double wrapped in bubble wrap. heh.) so-far so good, no unusual amount of bubbles, and the lids are nice and concave. (the one jar from the 1st batch that didn't creep me out was tasty.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:45 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I ordered the seitan deal too..Seemed well worth it for some easy meals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was thisclose to getting the seitan. Then I realized they all had soy in them, and my son is allergic to soy, which is the whole reason I need lots of seitan, so it was useless to me. Back to the crockpot and coconut aminos I guess.

Overall the spencer deals seem pretty decent though. I haven't actually bought any yet, but I did price a few of the deals out and they seem worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah I got an email about this earlier today and decided to snag the seitan deal as well. I had some Upton's when I was in Chicago and it was really good. I hardly ever eat seitan so it will be nice to have some for a change.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:36 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

So, is the seitan vacuum-packed and shelf stable? I'm just trying to picture it.

I'm definitely tempted though, especially by the bacon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:40 pm 

Pretty sure vacuum packed but it ships with a refrigerator pack so not shelf stable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:09 pm 

Thanks, that makes sense to me!

I wonder, then, how long it would stay fresh? I'm only one person!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:25 pm 

Oops, nevermind. I wasn't expecting it to sell out!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah I noticed a couple of their other offers sold out pretty quick. I guess you gotta move on these deals if you want them!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i'm so sorry for not bumping the thread earlier. it hadn't crossed my mind until i was all done my morning postings at vegancoupons & vegandeals. i'll try to remember to tell you guys as soon as i can next time they offer something kickasparagus. <3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

There is a deal for 4 8 oz cheezes today. It looks yummy, like commercial varieties of stepaniak's uncheese. It is called Like No Udder.

Only problem is after you add shipping & a cold pack, it works out to be about $6 each. That seems like a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

it's weird that they're requiring a cold pack this time of year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 am 

I ordered it because I can only find overpriced vegan cheese or cheap non vegan soy cheese around here since the naturally foodtown closed. Hopefully someone will pick up the slack soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

supercarrot wrote:

It would make more sense to only require a cold pack when shipping to certain areas. It's 71F here in TX at the moment, and the temperature has gotten up to 80F recently. I know that isn't terribly warm, but if I was ordering perishable items I'd probably want a cold pack.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bunniee wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

It would make more sense to only require a cold pack when shipping to certain areas. It's 71F here in TX at the moment, and the temperature has gotten up to 80F recently. I know that isn't terribly warm, but if I was ordering perishable items I'd probably want a cold pack.

good point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

today's deal is for $14 +shipping for 6 (.5 oz) bars of #raw #vegan chocolate from Lulu's chocolate (3 oz total, 6 flavors) retail price is $19, so really not a huge deal.

i got these chocolates from a different daily deal site, and it came with some crazy and rather disgusting flavors. (they were so disgusting, i hadn't opened 2 of the bars at all.)
so, the 2 bars that i had just opened and tasted were maca love (ehh. okay.) and chocolate maca chunk.(better, but really not my style) and a bar i had leftover and never finished when i opened them months ago was the raw love bar. (it's the closest to a regular chocolate bar of the three, but there's an aftertaste that i can't place. it's possible it's just the unroasted chocolate flavor.) the first 2 have a strange oiliness to them, and it's possible the 3rd does too, but it's been opened for months, so it could have dried out/mellowed.

the maca green bar (which isn't in this package. it had spirulina in it) was... interesting to say the least. but there was a "white chocolate" one that was horrific.

if i remember correctly, the aztec crunch came in my package, and that one was consumed right away. that one was very tasty. (with cacao nibs)

all in all, i wouldn't order it unless you were raw or a health nut. (or curious, like i was)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

yeah I got Lulu's chocolates from that other deal and hated the bars with maca. They were so vile I ended up throwing them out. I did like the Aztec crunch and another one whose name I've forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:03 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I am glad there is a review of the chocolate - I was tempted to get some!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

missmuffcake wrote:
I am glad there is a review of the chocolate - I was tempted to get some!

Oh their chocolate bars without maca were good, I just hated that ingredient. I checked my email from last year's deal with Daily Gourmet and it was $13 for 6 bars of chocolate. I didn't feel bad about throwing out the yucky ones at that price.

I'm trying to avoid sugar (including agave and coconut sugar) so it's just as well I didn't go for the deal this time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

today is $14 for 12 fruit bars from that's it. (35 grams each) it's just dehydrated apples and stuff. gluten free, nut free, "sugar" free. (i bet these things would be great for roadtrips. hopefully i'll get my package before i head up to baaahstin.)