| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lasik
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:49 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Anyone have lasik done? Good stories, bad stories (yours or someone elses)? I really want it - I started wearing glasses when I was 10 and I took a few years off (my mom got me embarrassing glasses I refused to wear), but I started wearing contacts when I was 13 or 14 and I'm almost 35 and my eyes are tired and I'm sick of corrective lenses. I'm a little scared of lasik though.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: Lasik
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:06 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I have no experience, but I am also interested in it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

My best friend and my brother both did it, oh and my uncle too (all nearsighted people, two super astigmatisms)

Uncle: about 10 years ago- did it and now has to wear reading glasses, which makes him so mad he wishes he never did it. ;-P (he is a dope.)

Brother: about 7 yrs ago, super researched and went to the guy in NYC with the most experience, he does about 1000 a year or something, it was absolutely perfect, not a glitch at all (my brother got it so he could do his police academy without glasses). My bro's vision was super horrible, and his astigmatism so bad that he had trouble getting contacts, and the glasses were so thick it was just cruel to think of him wearing them.

Friend: maybe 10 years ago, he's a nurse, it was still blurry afterwards and he still has to wear glasses (and the inevitable reading glasses too). He is convinced that it is not an old enough procedure that the consequences are clear, but to be fair he's a conspiracy theorist.

Honestly, I am a great candidate for it but will never have it done. I wear contacts for long periods of time, clean them and wear them again, and they last forever. I just can't face the idea of being awake and looking while someone forks about with my eye. My brother showed me video of his getting done (yes) and I almost puked. And being told "look at this point, don't look away or you'll go blind", lemme tell you, i know i would look away just because i tend to have problems when i'm terrified.
if i could be knocked out, i'd think about it. i've overcome enough trauma to go to the dentist, i think that's enough "forcing myself to do what is good for me". the eyes are OK.

Has the price fallen in the US, appifanie?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my father had it 7 years ago (he was 51 at the time) - he now needs to wear contacts because his vision continued to get worse.

my spouse had it back in december (he's 30). he has no complaints.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:02 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I had it done 10 years ago. It's an easy peasy very quick and painless procedure. It was $4000 but back then there was no one else doing it in my area and it was relatively new. Nowadays everyone is doing it. I'd make sure whoever you use has lot's of experience. Where I went to specialized in it, lasik was the only thing they did. Also, they had me come back several times for follow-up visits to make sure everything was ok. I had no problems.

Before I had it done I had very bad eyesight and had been wearing glasses or contacts since I was 10 years old. After I had it done, I had great 20/20 eyesight that lasted almost 10 years. I loved it. The older you get your eyes are still going to get weak with age. And I read a lot too. So don't expect it to be permanent. I was told that the younger you are when you have the procedure, the longer it will last. I was told repeatedly that age has a lot to do with how long it will last. So it is not a permanent fix but mine lasted almost 10 years before my eyes started to get weak because of age.

Now, before I had it done, I couldn't see anything without my glasses. Couldn't see far away and couldn't see past four inches of my face. The world was just a blur if I didn't wear my glasses. Now I can still see far away and most of the time I don't need glasses, but I do need reading glasses. But my eyesight is still a lot better than what it was before I had it done. I can drive without glasses and see distance. I just can't read without glasses. So when I'm on the computer or grocery shopping, I need glasses. Any other time, I don't. And I go to the dollar store and get cheap 2.0 glasses and they work just fine for me.

I'm glad I did it. I'd recommend getting it done sooner rather than later. The younger you are the longer it's suppose to last. Mine was almost 10 years and the decline is still minimum. And I think that has a lot to do with one's overall health. I now make sure to it take vitamins that help eyesight and try not to over use the computer.

Anyway, that's my experience.

ETA: I went to Christenbury eye center in Charlotte NC. They were very honest with me about how long it might last and that it was not permanent, that age would be a factor in how long it would last. I was 40 when I had it done and they told me then I had "old eyes" and that the younger one is the the longer it will last. I guess because the eyes normally start getting weaker at a certain age. Hey, I would have had it done when I was in high school, but back then in the stone ages, it hadn't been invented yet. I'm still glad I had it done.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:12 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I had mine done this year at 35. Best thing I've ever done! I've had glasses since I was 8. The one caveat that the center told me was that I would need reading glasses sooner than if I didn't get surgery, and the amount of your eyes changing is different for every person.

The surgery itself was fine; they premedicated me and I didn't mind that laser coming at my eyeball. At all ;). I would highly recommend it to anyone, and 2 people I work with have been convinced.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:06 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm an optician. I have a lot of friends, coworkers, and clients who have had it done. Sometimes it has been amazing and sometimes, well, not so much.

Do your research. Do NOT cheap out on this, purchase the most customized, detailed procedure you can find. Do not expect to have 100% perfect vision for the rest of your life. Your eyes WILL continue to change, particularly in you mid-40s.

Baseline: If it seems like glasses and contacts are just not working for you, definitely look into it. If you can manage with corrective appliances and feel comfortable and satisfied, do not let someone take a laser to your eyeball.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:04 pm 

best thing I've ever done. Only regret is not doing it sooner-but it took awhile to save the $ My vision was terrible. 20/450, and is now better than 20/20. The worst part of it for me was having to wear my glasses for the 2 weeks before the surgery, since I haven't worn my glasses in public since 6th grade.

I did get consults from a few different companies, and then went with the one my eye doctor recommended - she admitted she gets a small kickback from referrals, but they did her husband's lasik so I figured that was a good recommendation. (I did mine at a TLC laser center).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:09 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I had it done in the summer of 2002 (I was 23). I think my vision was about 20/40, farsighted, astigmatism. I had worn thick glasses when I was a kid, then gotten contacts in 6th grade, but they were starting to irritate my eyes because of scar tissue from surgeries I had when I was a baby.

So. The procedure itself wasn't bad (I was also worried I'd spaz out and look away, but you just don't), but the hours after were painful for me. They said it would feel like there was an eyelash in my eye. Ha! All I remember is the STINGING. My god. My eyes watered like crazy. So basically I sat in a recliner with those giant protective goggles on, crying, for hours. It was pretty pathetic. I was fine the next day though.

As for my vision now- I really need to go to the eye doctor and have it checked. I stare at a computer screen all day and sometimes get headaches. I also occasionally get them when reading. My eyes were always different prescriptions, and I feel like they're different now too. BUT, I am still really really glad I got it done. Going the last ten years without glasses or contacts has been awesome. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

My friend also got it done a little while before me, and she had to go back in for a fine tuning or something, but her vision was perfect after that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:26 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I had it done about 4 years ago - it was fantastic, quick, and life-changing. I wish I'd had it done years and years ago. Pre-lasering, I was very short sighted with major astigmatism, found driving at night hard, found contact lenses uncomfortable (especially hard to get out) because of the shape of my eyeballs, struggled to see actors on the stage clearly unless I had great seats, and generally had sore, tired, dry eyes most of the time. Now my eyesight is better than 20/20, I see really well at night, my eyes feel much more comfortable generally, and cannot recommend it highly enough.

I did loads of research before I went for it. Since I've had it done, my brother, two colleagues, my best friend and her daughter have all been to the place I went to, and all of them have equally fantastic results.

The only downside is that I lost that romantic idea I had that everyone looks kind of okay in the swimming pool - once you can see properly, you realise that no-one looks great without soft-focus there!

I'd do it again and pay five times the cost it has been that great for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:17 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Ruby Rose wrote:
I had it done about 4 years ago - it was fantastic, quick, and life-changing. I wish I'd had it done years and years ago.

This!

I had been wearing tri-focals which were expensive and my Rx sunglasses were about to break so I went for it. I think technically the procedure I had done is PRK. I knew going in that I would still need reading glasses, but I can just buy them at the drugstore or cheap online (+125). Otherwise I was looking at Rx ski goggles, maybe an Rx dive mask down the line, $$$ $$$ etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I did it about 5-6 years ago. My vision has changed a little and I sometimes wear glasses at night while driving, but I still think it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. My vision was horrible and I was vain, so I wore contacts, which gave me sinus problems and headaches. I don't have that anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:30 am 

I had PRK done. There are a few differences, but my experience so far has been outstanding. The surgery took all of 5 minutes, and I'm at about 3 weeks after the surgery right now and I'm seeing 20/25. (started at 20/400). I am expected to hit 20/15 or 20/10 at the full heal time of 6 months. I had it done at Wright-Patterson AFB, which does some 1k/your.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:13 am 

Thanks everyone, keep it coming!!

Torque there's a place in Raleigh NC doing it for $999/eye which is great, but I'm certainly not actively looking for the cheapest place to do it - that would be bad - eyeballs are important - but of course less expensive is certainly a benefit. My husband said that there's a place on post here (Fort Bragg) which is supposed to be really good at it - it's free for soldiers but not for me (I suggested that it should be 1 free/family since he'll never need it and I could take it instead).

I have to rush off now for a neurologist appointment but I'm going to finish reading this later.

Thanks everyone!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:14 am 

fatcat wrote:
I did it about 5-6 years ago. My vision has changed a little and I sometimes wear glasses at night while driving, but I still think it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. My vision was horrible and I was vain, so I wore contacts, which gave me sinus problems and headaches. I don't have that anymore.

!! I know my glasses give me headaches but it never occurred to me that my contacts might, or that they'd affect my sinuses! This would make it worth it all by itself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:30 am 

I booked a consultation for next week! it's the kind that lasers all over instead of doing the flap.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:35 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My hubby checked into it, but he is not a candidate since his corneas are too thin. A coworker of mine had it done, one eye is great, the other he had to have redone and it still isn't much better so he still has to wear glasses.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:36 am 

happyfaced wrote:
my father had it 7 years ago (he was 51 at the time) - he now needs to wear contacts because his vision continued to get worse.

my spouse had it back in december (he's 30). he has no complaints.

this freaked me out at first but even if I can stop wearing contacts for the next 15 years or so, that'd be great. Also my best price for contacts is $90/6 months so that's $180 year x 15 = $2700 and less eye pain until then, theoretically, knock on wood.

My parents both had cataract surgery in their mid to late 50s and my dad is ticked because he got switched from nearsighted to a bit farsighted, and that would be annoying so I'll ask about that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:40 am 

rohai wrote:
My hubby checked into it, but he is not a candidate since his corneas are too thin. A coworker of mine had it done, one eye is great, the other he had to have redone and it still isn't much better so he still has to wear glasses.

glasses for only one eye!! that is sad. can he wear a contact?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

appifanie, are you going to Travers? That $999 is only if your prescription is -1.0 or less - i.e., not very bad. It's $1799 per eye if you have vision that is ACTUALLY bad. My prescription is -3.5 and -4.5 and I would have had to pay the $1799. However, I've talked to a ton of people around here, including eye doctors and a lady who used to sell Lasik machines all over the country, and they all said Dr. Travers does a fantastic job.

Anyway, I went in for the consultation and at the last minute they decided my corneas were irregular and I would have to get PRK, so I shelved the idea for now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:33 pm 

Thanks Molly! That is who my appointment is with and thanks for sharing the stipulation you totally can't see in the commercial! Dangit. I'm negative -3.5 and -2.0. I thought I saw on the site that they do the PRK not the other one? I guess I misread. Is it more than the $1799 for the PRK and do they offer the other one?

And thanks!! Also, they're nice there?

eta: how long does the consult take? I'm dragging the kiddo in with me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The price is the same for both Lasik and PRK and they do both of them there. The consult takes a pretty long time, like maybe 2 hours? They measure your eyes with tons of different machines and take lots of pictures. I think I had at least 5 or 6 different drops put in my eyes at various times. They also dilate your pupils, which I didn't realize was going to happen - I was OK for driving afterward but I couldn't see my computer screen clearly for a couple of hours after I got back to work.

They were really nice there! I had a really good experience and would definitely have gone through with it if I hadn't turned out to have weird corneas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:43 am 

Oh crepe that's a long time - the kid won't like that. I'll have to see if they have any Saturday appointments so I can leave her with the husband or if he can come too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:40 pm 

i'm a fabulous candidate, apparently. now i have to decide if i want to use the tax return for the lasik or to pay off some debt. alas. i alternate between "that is teh best idea and i have to do it" and "holy cow that's a lot of money why don't i just keep wearing contacts?"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:54 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I had Lasik around 2003, I was in my mid-thirties. I only wore contacts, never glasses before. Today I need glasses to see a movie or read a menu on the wall across the room, this started about 2 years ago. I don't need reading glasses yet but assume that's coming soon. I'm about 50/50 in retrospect on whether it was a good thing. Ultimately I think it was maybe a little expensive for the number of years I got, but those were wonderful vision filled years being able to see all the dirt in my bathtub, and well, nicer things too!

The procedure itself, I was handed a tranquilizer of some sort, and the nurse actually watched me swallow it so I didn't slip it aside to give to my boyfriend or sell on the open market (ie it was a controlled substance). I don't remember being uncomfortable at all. Afterwards I was definitely uncomfortable for the remainder of the day, needed help getting a taxi, etc. One flap didn't heal properly and therefore my vision, while amazingly better, was not as good as it could have been and I guess I have astigmatism now. I enjoyed my years of waking up and being able to see like a normal person.