| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obsessive Compulsive Cosemetics (OCC)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:53 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

stopped into obsessive compulsive cosemetics to pick up holiday gifts yesterday. the company carries cruelty free professional line make up. their most popular product, LIP TAR, has gotten great reviews for being heavily pigmented & long lasting. a teensy dab definitely goes a long way. the colors are bold & have a lot of glitz. sales help at the small boutique was excellent at giving coloring advice and product recommendations.

i'll definitely return.

anyone try their stuff? below are some photos i snapped of their eye wear & nail polish:

Post subject: Re: Obsessive Compulsive Cosemetics (OCC)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:37 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yes, I was in there last weekend! I'm wearing their gold nail polish right now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:51 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I like lip tar!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:08 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

alice1drland wrote:

oh, wild! does it stay on long without chipping?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:56 pm 

Every time I put on makeup, I wear something OCC. ADORE it.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:17 pm 
Chip Strong

The stuff that I've tried is awesome quality. Their matte nail polish makes everything look cooler, and my crappy old nail polishes last probably twice as long with that as a top coat. I've never had good luck with lip products lasting more than an hour for me, probably because I'm always sipping things. Their lip tars usually last a good three hours, and I love that I can have bright yellow lips if I want to. I just love that it exists. Also, everything is vegan, and they're not afraid to advertise it as such! AND the ingredients are mostly natural and don't gross me out!

Okay, I'm done raving. On another note, I didn't know they had a storefront!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:25 am 

veganwonder wrote:
alice1drland wrote:

oh, wild! does it stay on long without chipping?

I'm on day 3 with no chips, but I tend not to smash my nails with hammers regularly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:07 am 
Ninja Master

I've found their polishes last really well on me and I always chip my nails quickly. I love their lip tars and I have one of their pigments that I love - I need more of those.

I also have their airbrush foundations. I love OCC.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:53 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

omj I could talk all day about their Lip Tars. I frigging LOVE them. Its so rare to find shades this bright in general, much less vegan. I can't believe how awesome they are! I won't go so far as to link you to my review at makeupalley, but I really love love love them!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:55 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

um okay.. I thought about that for two seconds, and I am going to post the review. haha.. sorry I just think they're friggin amazing and anyone who likes makeup should know about OCC

anyway..

I've rated this an overall 5 based on longevity of wear, ease of application, range of colour choices, extreme pigmentation and high quality in all of the shades I've tried and the amount you get per package. I gave it a 1 on price, because you only need literally half of a pin head sized blob. Do NOT squeeze this; the tubes are almost self-dispensing! If you squeeze, you will get enough to cover your whole body ten times. I'm serious. When I say pin head, I mean a simple straight pin, like the kind you'd find on a brand new mens dress shirt, NOT a quilting pin, or a fancier sewing pin. The amount you use is crucial. I've used Stalker and Hoochie at least once or twice a week since November and they barely look used. It's the end of January right now. Moving on..
The only place I've rated this poorly is packaging quality. I gave it a 2. As I mentioned before, these come very full of product and are almost self-dispensing. The first time I opened one, even though I was being gentle, I accidentally held it too tightly and 1/4th of the tube ended up on my hand. Luckily, it was Tarred, the black and the amount left in the tube is enough for the rest of my life still. Remember, these are so full of pigment that you only need a tiny bit. So. I would buy this product again, but I doubt I will have to for several years.
I am a daytime red lipstick wearer, and as far as pinks go, the brighter the better. THIS is the best. Anime has quickly become my all time favorite. It is an intense blue-based neon pink that is unusually bright (as far as pinks go). It puts all of my other pinky bright magentas and fuchsias to absolute SHAME. These smell a bit pepperminty upon application but the scent goes away fairly quickly. I always use balm underneath and either Revlon Colorstay clear lipliner or UD Ozone (clear liner) on the outside of my lips so this doesn't move. have used the lip tars alone, without liner and they do bleed a TINY bit.
This is how I usually apply:
Line around my lips with liner. I don't actually touch the liner to my actual lips, but just on the outside of them. Since I am using clear, this only results in a perfectly even barrier for the lip tars to stay inside.
apply lipbalm.
Open Anime. DO NOT SQUEEZE. Place a TINY dot onto a lip brush. CLOSE the Lip Tar. This may seem obvious, but unfortunately with this packaging, it isn't. If you don't close it, it'll leak all over you. I like Urban Decay's old brush (it flips and isn't retractable) because it's small and precise.
I dot it onto my bottom lip with the brush. Then I carefully paint the inner part of my whole bottom lip, press my lips together and continue moving the pigment onto my upper lips. Only after I've gotten the middle of my lips done will I move onto the edges. This is crazy bright, so precise application is 100% necessary or you will look ridiculous. I have heard some people say they use two layers, but I haven't found that to be necessary.
I usually leave my mouth open for a minute or so to make sure the colour has dried completely and "set," but you could blot at this point and get on with your day.
Once I've applied this, I can eat and drink, probably smoke (if I still smoked) all day and not have to reapply. Occasionally, if I've eaten something totally greasy, I'll do a TINY touch up on the inside of my bottom lip. For this, I usually just use what's left on my brush from the morning's application, as any more would be unnecessary.
If you have dryness at all, this product probably isn't for you, at least until you whip your lips back into shape! You must have moisturized lips because this dries to a very opaque, satiny finish, not a matte one (these don't even come close to how horribly drying MACs matte lipsticks feel) This feels like nothing, when you've applied it right. If my lips are moisturized well, I'll skip the balm that day and this stays on much better. Personally, I'd rather feel balmy lips and have to do one touch up in a 10 hour day than not.
I know this is a super long review, but a lot of people have mentioned on the boards that these bleed or feather on them. They are using WAY too much. Seriously, I cannot stress the little bit you need enough. These NEVER feather on me, they don't bleed, they're not too drying (I'm a lipbalm freak though, and always have some on hand) and the colour choices are awesome. Anime is THE most amazing blue-pink-magenta-neon I've ever seen, and I will update this review with some comparison photos of some of my other favorite lipsticks in the same colour family (Revlon CB Fuchsia etc)
OH! This is a VEGAN product! That ALONE should make you want to run out and buy it. It is SO hard to find vegan stuff that is really pigmented, so that makes this even more amazing. I LOVE LIP TARS!!! I'll review the other colours I have and update with comparison photos too. Thanks for reading and I hope this is helpful! :)
ETA. From the OCC Website, re colour separation: "This is completely normal and due only to the unprecedented amount of pigment we use in our product. To get the pigment back into suspension, simply alternate the way the Lip Tar™ tube is stored it (i.e. cap side up, versus cap side down, on its front or on its back). You will find that the Lip Tar goes quickly back into suspension. Preventing this from happening on our end would mean reducing the pigment load itself, which is a change we're sure our customers wouldn't want to see happen!"
UPDATE May 2011. Three of my tubes have cracked at the lid. OCC exchanged 2, but I had to replace the last. I've put them in 1/4oz bottles from the OCC website and they seem much sturdier.
I have some swatches here on MUA that should turn up if you do a board search. They're also in my profile if it helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:56 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'm super duper pale and I love Anime, Stalker, Pretty Boy, Hoochie and Strutter best, though I have about 20 of them now. Love those things.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:42 am 

Garnett wrote:
I'm super duper pale and I love Anime, Stalker, Pretty Boy, Hoochie and Strutter best, though I have about 20 of them now. Love those things.

I love all those colors too! I'm on a Trick streak right now, paired with smoky eyes. I also rock NSFW pretty hard.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:12 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Anime and NSFW are my favorites! Though I wear Vintage a lot because people always tell me how great it looks on me, and I am a sucker for compliments.

I worship at the altar of lip tars. They are the best lip color I've ever had in my life. I wish the rest of my makeup looked as good as my lips do when I wear lip tars (thanks to Melisser's awesome video tutorial at Cruelty Free Face!).

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I really need to try this stuff after hearing so many awesome reviews now for so long. I don't usually do a super bright lip but some of the pinks look nice and Vintage loos awesome for dressier occasions (in case I ever have any)

I'm also interested in the tinted moisturizer, but I'd like to see the shades in the store. Gotta get to NYC!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:54 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I have Hush on now. I want a more pink nude natural (this is a bit too peach)...Any recs?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:54 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I need some help picking a color of the OCC Tinted Moisturizer that will match my skin. I think I'm probably R1, but am afraid it might be too pale... although I am pretty pale! I'm right in between NW15 and NW20 in Mac foundations. Any idea if R1 will work for me?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:30 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

You could try mixing Tone, Hush and Pageant for a lighter pinky nude. One thing about these is that they can be mixed easily! I can't wait for them to make a neon purple, like Anime but purple.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:21 am 
Ninja Master

Butch lip tar is blue, you could just mix that together with Anime to make a purple. It's quite a light purpley blue though, maybe they have a brighter one.

Edit, RX is a brighter blue. I forgot about that one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:32 pm 

I just bought Memento lip tar, NSFW and Femme nail polishes. All because the F train was messed up today and I gave up hope of heading above Houston, so Delancey happened to be where I ended up. Whoops.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Could I kindly caution people against buying via mail order? I ordered Strumpet Lip Tar and Chlorophyll nail polish and neither looked anything like the website depiction. I was disappointed with the color, but the Lip Tar coverage was insane.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:55 am 

Oh yeah, I HATE their website. Some completely arbitrary graphic dot is supposed to get you an idea of how insanely bright their tars are?? No way. I always do an image search for lip tar swatches before I make a commitment, but I do have the advantage of just going there in person and rubbing lip tar all over my hands.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:42 pm 
Ninja Master

I wore strumpet nail polish the other day. I tried to take a pic but failed, it's lovely.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:21 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

alice1drland wrote:
Oh yeah, I HATE their website. Some completely arbitrary graphic dot is supposed to get you an idea of how insanely bright their tars are?? No way. I always do an image search for lip tar swatches before I make a commitment, but I do have the advantage of just going there in person and rubbing lip tar all over my hands.

I do this with Zoya too, I wonder why they don't have pictures of actual product swatches?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:18 pm 

Man, I have no idea. It sucks, though. The photos give you absolutely no idea of what you're actually getting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:01 am 
Ninja Master

I usually google swatches of things before I buy them online, just to see what they're really like.