| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: swimming
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:12 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Is this good exercise even if one (i.e. moi) is not very good at it? I went swimming in a hotel pool while at a conference, and I like how low impact it is, and it really got my heart rate up. But I have little in the way of technique beyond a very basic breaststroke. Any idea if this is good exercise, good for strength?

Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:19 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm under the impression that swimming is a great total body exercise, both for toning and for cardiovascular strength. Not really sure though!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:08 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've been a swimmer all my life. Swimming is one of the few sports that works the entire body. It is really great for exercise, you wouldn't believe the calories you burn with it. It's pretty good for toning, though I've always thought tennis was better for toning. It's a great way to get in shape, even without proper form.

That said, I recommend you visit a website for form tips. It will tell you which body parts you should hold in specific ways for maximum effectiveness. You could also sign up for a couple of lessons at a community pool, just so you get the basic strokes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:28 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I think that you will usually be able to tell whether something is good exercise through paying attention to how your body feels during and after. Are you breathing hard and your muscles feel like they're working? Then it's good exercise.

Personally, I was surprised at what a good workout swimming was and I credit it with getting me in the best shape of my life last fall (along with reformer Pilates). I wasn't a great swimmer at first, but I found taking just a couple of swimming lessons (I knew how to swim but needed to improve technique) made a huge difference. I love it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:27 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Yeah I would suggest swimming lessons too!

Maybe they have an adult class too. If they don't you will totally beat those 8 year olds in sharks and minnows :p

You could also look into water aerobics as something you can pick up quickly while you work on your swimming stroke.

I've been a lifelong swimmer and have fairly good form (never hardly do it anymore though! I need to find good workouts and get back to it, but just swimming laps bores me, I need workouts like coaches gave). Anyway, despite my water skills I LOVE water aerobics. Just me and the old ladies! Woo!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

lycophyte wrote:
If they don't you will totally beat those 8 year olds in sharks and minnows :p

I totally forgot about that! I was a guppy forever.

I love swimming. It is super good exercise. I think taking a few lessons is a good idea too, since being more efficient in your stroke will let you swim longer and help you avoid injury.

I want to go swimming now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Waking this thread up!

So, I was a biker for years and I still do it sometimes. Then I ran exclusively the last 2 years. I've started mixing up my routine and doing 3 running days and 2 swimming days per week.

We have very active running and biking threads, surely people are swimming too!

So! Favorite gear? Workouts? Advice? Or just what have you been doing recently?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:39 pm 
Dead by dawn

I just got back in the pool last night after abandoning it for half marathon training last fall. Right now I just have a kickboard and pull bouys, but I need to get paddles and "zoomers" because my coach will be working those into workouts. I'm taking a lesson next week. I swam on the team in high school but I mostly raced breaststroke. My freestyle isn't much faster than my breaststroke, which is ridiculous, and no one has critiqued my stroke in 24 years. So... I'm going to swallow my pride and let coach film me and pick apart my stroke.

Last night's workout was:
300 free, 200 pull, 200 kick for warm up
4 x 200 free (150 swim, 50 kick) with 30 seconds rest in between
4 x 100 free, building speed on the last 25 with 15 seconds rest in between
8 x 50 free, getting faster with each two sets with 15 seconds rest in between
100 easy to cool down
(I skipped two of the 200s because the lane was crowded and I wasn't going to have enough time to get it all in.)

Tomorrow morning I have a team swim. My coach won't be there, but the owner of the team, who was one of the top collegiate swimmers in the state, will be running the show. I'm skurred.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I swim before work 3 to 5 mornings a week. I really enjoy it. The pool I go to lets you use the kick boards & pull boys there. I swim for the amount of time I have which is usually between 30 minutes & 50 minutes. Tend to alternate between crawl & breast stroke with the odd length of back stroke.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:40 pm 
Dead by dawn

monkeytoes wrote:
Tomorrow morning I have a team swim. My coach won't be there, but the owner of the team, who was one of the top collegiate swimmers in the state, will be running the show. I'm skurred.

Survived. And T tried to move me up to a faster lane, so I must have been doing something right. But I am supposed to go bowling tonight and my shoulders are So Tired.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:02 am 

monkeytoes wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Survived. And T tried to move me up to a faster lane, so I must have been doing something right. But I am supposed to go bowling tonight and my shoulders are So Tired.

Way to go! Well done you.
They have a sign up at the gym asking for people to represent them at a swimathon for a cancer care charity. Just wondering if I should do it. It's 2 miles which is double what I usually swim.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:17 am 
Seagull of the PPK

My friend did a swimathon recently and it really ramped up her training.

I swam religiously for some years after my kids were born and while it really kept me alive in terms of killing stress, and must have had some cardio benefits, i lost NO weight, in fact i was always starving, eating crepe, and stayed fat. I was using workouts I got off the internet, and they were pretty intensive, but looking back I think i was in the "garbage yardage" category. I wish I had had a team or a coach. Enjoy it monkeytoes!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:24 am 
Tofu Pup

I like swimming.I go for swimming daily almost one hour.Swimming is a the best exercise for health.Regular exercise helps to burn more calories which prevents obesity.

Post subject: deep water aerobics; was, swimming
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lycophyte wrote:
I've been a lifelong swimmer and have fairly good form (never hardly do it anymore though! I need to find good workouts and get back to it, but just swimming laps bores me, I need workouts like coaches gave). Anyway, despite my water skills I LOVE water aerobics. Just me and the old ladies! Woo!

Where I live, the Y offers deep water aerobics as well as the regular kind. Old ladies? not so much in the deep water. It is a good workout for me, since I have really REALLY bad knees and cannot put weight on them all that much. (arthritis) Anyone else do deep water aerobics?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:13 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Jumping in here as I have just recently jumped back in the pool, yay! I just didn't have the time or money for swimming or a pool membership for years and took up running and yoga instead.

My question is - what goggles do you swimmers like best? I am using a pair of inexpensive Speedos that are fine but leave marks on my face. I would like something smaller and maybe less marking (different, softer material?)

Torque, I also find that swimming makes me hungry in a way that running and other aerobic exercise doesn't - I don't know why. Even when I swam full tilt when I was younger I found this. I get around it by planning my swim for just before a meal (usually breakfast) and eating only what I planned to eat beforehand.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:56 am 
Chip Strong

I'm back in the pool too! I'm taking a Total Immersion swim class right now and I love it! I'm looking forward to improving my stroke and taking advantage of the outdoor pool at the end of my block once the warm weather hits. Maaaaybe this is pushing me towards a tri...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:57 pm 

studio wrote:
I'm back in the pool too! I'm taking a Total Immersion swim class right now and I love it! I'm looking forward to improving my stroke and taking advantage of the outdoor pool at the end of my block once the warm weather hits. Maaaaybe this is pushing me towards a tri...

What is a total immersion class? Don't know if we have that over here.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:02 pm 

Arisaig wrote:
Jumping in here as I have just recently jumped back in the pool, yay! I just didn't have the time or money for swimming or a pool membership for years and took up running and yoga instead.

My question is - what goggles do you swimmers like best? I am using a pair of inexpensive Speedos that are fine but leave marks on my face. I would like something smaller and maybe less marking (different, softer material?)

Torque, I also find that swimming makes me hungry in a way that running and other aerobic exercise doesn't - I don't know why. Even when I swam full tilt when I was younger I found this. I get around it by planning my swim for just before a meal (usually breakfast) and eating only what I planned to eat beforehand.

Sorry I'm no help as I have speedos too. A lot of people seem to have Zoggs & they also sell them at the pool I go to.
I swim first thing in the morning before breakfast & then eat my breakfast. I'm often very hungry & ready to eat but then it's my meal time so I've not noticed that I'm any more hungry than usual. Maybe that is why.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:56 pm 
Chip Strong

Chickpea wrote:
What is a total immersion class? Don't know if we have that over here.

Total immersion is a swimming technique based on "effortless" swimming. Basically, it teaches you to cut through the water sharply and cut back on the number of arm strokes you use. Its a super smooth stroke! It's fairly popular with the triathlete set around here because it allows people who maybe don't have a great swimming background to complete the swim without exhausting themselves and be ready to bike and run.

Check out the site: http://www.totalimmersion.net/

There are a couple of amazing videos on youtube too:

I have never really been able to relax fully in the water, and this class is totally changing that.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:43 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I was a competitive swimmer from age 5 through college! I only really swim in the summers now, when our neighborhood pool has free lap swim times, but I miss it a lot. I'd love to join a master's team but practices are pretty far from me and usually held during rush hour. :(

Arisaig wrote:

I like Speedo GCG gogglesm (mirrored, for outdoors). They have silicone gaskets and are pretty minimal as goggles go, but I think they're super comfy! They leave marks, but in my experience all goggles kind of do. Weirdly enough, anything with foam gaskets burns my eyes.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i still have a pair of silicon speedo goggles-- they are at least 10 years old? scratched up a bit but still make a good seal. highly recommended.

i also bought myself a pair of prescription goggles- the kind that cost $$$$$$$$ - they were awesome but my eyes changed/i stopped swimming. i should keep them in the car in case my contacts go south one day and then i can wear my goggles and freak people out.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:14 pm 

Thanks for the link Studio.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have a pretty decently sized above ground pool. I'd like to start swimming for exercise but I've never taken classes or been on a team. I live in the middle of nowhere with limited access to gyms... but I have no idea what I can do for decent cardio/calorie burn on my own. Tips?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:19 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Studio, thanks for the link! I have watched a few videos and put some dvds on hold at the library. When I was swimming on Sunday I modified my stroke a bit to be more like the full immersion. I already swim breaststroke in a similar way to the full immersion style but may modify that as well. I love the way the full immersion swimming looks so smooth. I wonder how well it works in open water ith a bit of chop.

Like chickpea I alternate crawl and breaststroke, with usually 6-8 lengths crawl to 2 breast stroke.

I will look at goggles later if I think I need them. I know they always leave a mark (used to swim in the morning before school - the raccoon look was not a happy one for a teenager ;-) but the ones I have now are bigger than some I have had in the past. They work well, though, so I think I will keep using them.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:02 am 
Not NOT A Furry

i'm just recently getting back into swimming after some time away. like mandycoot, i was also a competitive swimmer from age 5 through college. i was always a distance freestyler and i still love it, but i'm also going to pick up breaststroke again. i was good at it as a kid, but then in high school, i filled the gap for distance free on the team and kinda stuck with it.

i'm starting a master's team and i'm hoping for the chance to train with a few people in the area. i'm already sorta training a couple people. workouts with them are much more fun than workouts by myself. i write the workouts because i've got more experience coaching (a high school team one winter, and age group teams during summers). we've been doing between 2,500 and 3K meters. i hate meters.

re: goggles: i have very long eyelashes and a wide nose bridge so i just buy goggles that'll fit that. i don't care for Swedes as much-- even though they are very adjustable and, let's face it, they're cooler-- because they usually bother my eyebrow ring, which i dislike taking out.

re: swim lessons: i think a good swim lesson instructor should feel like a good yoga teacher. they should be able to work with you on whatever level you're on and continue to improve your stroke according to your goals and capabilities.

p.s. that looks like a great workout, monkeytoes!