| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hypocrisy at Disneyland
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:45 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Thessaly wrote:
I hate hand dryers so much. I always just shake my hands and then smooth down my fly away hairs with the last of the water.
But I feel like there really isn't a scientific consensus on one over the other
Quote:
Opting for a hand dryer over towels hardly earns you an environmental halo, as the net difference in long-term carbon emissions is minuscule at best.

http://www.slate.com/id/2193740/

I had a feeling that might be the case.

What about those old-fashioned towel drier things, where it's one continuous loop of towel, and it goes back into the dispenser when you pull on it?

Has anyone ever seen these? Usually they are in older buildings. I can't find a picture of it on the internet for the life of me. They don't look very sanitary, but then again, I don't know what kind of magic goes on inside that metal box.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Here it is!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:58 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

b.vicious wrote:
I remember that cool dinosaur ride being sponsored by McDonald's.

WHAT. When did Disneyland have a dinosaur ride?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:10 pm 
FAYGO

graffitipassion wrote:
Thessaly wrote:
I hate hand dryers so much. I always just shake my hands and then smooth down my fly away hairs with the last of the water.
But I feel like there really isn't a scientific consensus on one over the other
Quote:
Opting for a hand dryer over towels hardly earns you an environmental halo, as the net difference in long-term carbon emissions is minuscule at best.

http://www.slate.com/id/2193740/

I had a feeling that might be the case.

What about those old-fashioned towel drier things, where it's one continuous loop of towel, and it goes back into the dispenser when you pull on it?

Has anyone ever seen these? Usually they are in older buildings. I can't find a picture of it on the internet for the life of me. They don't look very sanitary, but then again, I don't know what kind of magic goes on inside that metal box.

These totally gross me out. I don't *think* there's any magic in there. I'm pretty sure they just hope the towel parts dry by the time they feed back through.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:17 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

thisheregiraffe wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

It's at Animal Kingdom in Orlando. There's a dinosaur-themed McDonald's in the park too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:07 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

graffitipassion wrote:
Here it is!

What the heck? you just rub your hands on it? That doesn't seem like it would work very well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:20 pm 
ugh

ashley wrote:
thisheregiraffe wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

It's at Animal Kingdom in Orlando. There's a dinosaur-themed McDonald's in the park too.

Oops, I was thinking of Disney World, not land!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:22 pm 
Mediocre Tart

joyfulgirl wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:
Here it is!

What the heck? you just rub your hands on it? That doesn't seem like it would work very well.

Ewwwww, I come across these pretty regularly here and they gross me out. Unclean, unclean! Hence, the jeans' attack.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

graffitipassion wrote:
I use a paper towel when the bathroom looks filthy and like it hasn't been cleaned in weeks. I use it after I've dried to grab the handle and open the door. Ever since I volunteered in a hospital and they told me how dirty those handles are and how easily they spread germs I started doing it.

But the places that use those awesome machines that are space-age and you dunk your hands into a stream of air or it's a super jet...I don't bother. Usually they are movie theaters or fancy places that are clean enough for me to avoid the paper towel trick.

Sometimes, I try to duck in behind some person who touched the handle in front of me and get in on their exit.

Mars wrote:
Paper towels are more sanitary like has been mentioned, and you can use them to turn off the faucet and open the door. That's why I love where I work, I get to unabashedly use paper towels because right next to the bathroom doors are composting bins, and the paper towels are the recycled kind. Yes, it is annoying when all you can do with the towel after is throw it away in regular trash. :(

I hate to burst the bubble of all the paper towel protection advocates, but using a paper towel as a barrier between you and germs is totally ineffective if there is moisture on your hands or on the surface you're grabbing.

Water on your hands or the handle/faucet/whatever will carry germs across a paper barrier very easily. I know this because if any of our sterilization packets at work gets wet, we have to throw them out and re-sterilize whatever instrument is inside. In the medical field, it's called "strikethrough contamination."

Sorry to be the bearer of the bad, germy news. :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:00 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

fresh_paint wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:
I use a paper towel when the bathroom looks filthy and like it hasn't been cleaned in weeks. I use it after I've dried to grab the handle and open the door. Ever since I volunteered in a hospital and they told me how dirty those handles are and how easily they spread germs I started doing it.

But the places that use those awesome machines that are space-age and you dunk your hands into a stream of air or it's a super jet...I don't bother. Usually they are movie theaters or fancy places that are clean enough for me to avoid the paper towel trick.

Sometimes, I try to duck in behind some person who touched the handle in front of me and get in on their exit.

Mars wrote:
Paper towels are more sanitary like has been mentioned, and you can use them to turn off the faucet and open the door. That's why I love where I work, I get to unabashedly use paper towels because right next to the bathroom doors are composting bins, and the paper towels are the recycled kind. Yes, it is annoying when all you can do with the towel after is throw it away in regular trash. :(

I hate to burst the bubble of all the paper towel protection advocates, but using a paper towel as a barrier between you and germs is totally ineffective if there is moisture on your hands or on the surface you're grabbing.

Water on your hands or the handle/faucet/whatever will carry germs across a paper barrier very easily. I know this because if any of our sterilization packets at work gets wet, we have to throw them out and re-sterilize whatever instrument is inside. In the medical field, it's called "strikethrough contamination."

Sorry to be the bearer of the bad, germy news. :(

Okay, but what if we use one paper towel to dry, then a second to open the door?

Or if we dry with the blower, then use a dry paper towel to open the door?

I'm using my feet from now on. This is too complicated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:23 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

You could carry around one of those silicone oven mitts wherever you go, and open the door with that.

But then you'd have to disinfect it every time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 pm 
Chip Strong

I just prefer a barrier of germs. We're all pretty gross.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

pant-wipers unite! high-five me with those germy hands!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just lick my hands clean and dry them on someone else's coat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:25 am 
Seagull of the PPK

joyfulgirl wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:
Here it is!

it's a roller towel!!!
i contract with a lot of eco/dirty hippy companies here and they all use these instead of paper or blowers. the towel only goes one way, so you can't use the part someone else has already used. when it's all been used, they take it out (it's like a cartridge) and replace with a new one. it's really cool. The old ones were just a loop, and the yuckies got passed around, but these new ones are much more hygienic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:46 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

torque wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:
Here it is!

it's a roller towel!!!
i contract with a lot of eco/dirty hippy companies here and they all use these instead of paper or blowers. the towel only goes one way, so you can't use the part someone else has already used. when it's all been used, they take it out (it's like a cartridge) and replace with a new one. it's really cool. The old ones were just a loop, and the yuckies got passed around, but these new ones are much more hygienic.

I remember the old school ones from my childhood (even back then I thought the passing 'round and 'round of germs was creepy). I actually really like the idea of the new fangled ones. It's like using a regular linen towel, but more sanitary. I assume they send the used up portion out to be sanitized/cleaned and re-used?

I obsessively DON'T use paper towels. I work as a therapist in people's homes, and one day my client saw me walk from the bathroom (where there was only a roll of paper towels next to the sink) and into the kitchen to dry my hands on a hand towel there. She said something to me about the paper towels in the bathroom, and I said, "Oh, I don't use paper towels, it seems like a huge waste" and so she started keeping a hand towel in her bathroom for me. <3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:59 am 
Chard Martyr

hoveringdog wrote:
I just lick my hands clean and dry them on someone else's coat.

I want to hang out with you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:27 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

pandacookie wrote:
I just let my hands air dry or wipe them on my pants. I am a germy germy person.

I heard years ago that air dryers blow germs up from the floor and ever since I refuse to use air dryers. But now I have another reason, which is that Livi REALLY hates how loud those dryers are, so I dare not use them.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:35 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Apparently, the roller towel can be dangerous. Several cases of self-strangulation in Canada...maybe other places too. Torque, is this an issue for sales?

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content ... 1.abstract

Edit: Nevermind torque...I just assumed you contracted this OUT to eco people. I don't even know if that's what you meant!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:32 am 
Seagull of the PPK

graffitipassion wrote:
Apparently, the roller towel can be dangerous. Several cases of self-strangulation in Canada...maybe other places too. !

no, i do translation and communications contracting for these companies.
the roller towel danger seems to be the same danger as plastic bags, at least some of it....
Quote:
Thrill seeking from partial asphyxiation appears to underlie these incidents. Awareness of such cases should prompt appropriate education strategies to highlight the serious consequences of this form of risk taking behavior in young males.

the ones i've seen are quite tight- you'd have to have a really bitty pin head to fit your head in there. perhaps they've been modified for the purpose?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:59 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Dryers always remind me of this scene from The Beatles Help!:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:10 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

torque wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:
Apparently, the roller towel can be dangerous. Several cases of self-strangulation in Canada...maybe other places too. !

no, i do translation and communications contracting for these companies.
the roller towel danger seems to be the same danger as plastic bags, at least some of it....
Quote:
Thrill seeking from partial asphyxiation appears to underlie these incidents. Awareness of such cases should prompt appropriate education strategies to highlight the serious consequences of this form of risk taking behavior in young males.

the ones i've seen are quite tight- you'd have to have a really bitty pin head to fit your head in there. perhaps they've been modified for the purpose?

Yeah, they didn't use to have those hang-down guide things, and you could just pull the loop out as much as possible. This changed in Canada probably 15 or so years ago, because too many kids were dying.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:52 pm 
Semen Strong

I find most "we're going green!" announcement are bull.

We stayed in a hotel in Morocco that claimed to be green and had a pool in a country that is so strapped for water.

Also, my gym is "green" ie they don't give you printed schedules. But people use 6 or 7 of the provided papertowels to wipe down their machines.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:33 pm 
WRETCHED

My company is trying to 'go green' but they have plastic utensils at the lunch/break rooms. You can get metal but those are at the cafeteria. It'd make sense to me that they would have metal near the break rooms. I bring my own utensils though.

Also, my boss was visiting and when we were going somewhere, I turned off my lights, he was surprised because no one does that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:38 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Could we call it "greenwashing" just like all the pinkwashing breast cancer awareness stuff? Companies that claim to be going green but do condtradictory things? I'd to call it "I'll say anything to get your money" but greenwashing is simpler.