| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:35 am 
Ninja Master

My copy arrived this morning! Excited to go dig out my slow cooker now.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:17 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Just bought my copy last night! I am so stoked to try out the Tea-Scented Tofu and the Hard Cider and Cabbage Stew. Smoked Tofu and Stars looks adorable, but I have no idea where to get the stellini (Whole Foods?). Ditalini would work, but it definitely hurts the cute factor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Creamy Potato Soup last night. I used Yukon Golds instead of russets, since that's what I had, and I added some broccoli. Not too pretty, but really tasty.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just saw this on Amazon today, so excited!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:46 am 
Tofu Pup

I've made Citrus Black Bean Soup and Spanish Quinoa. Both were yummy. I did the quinoa in my rice cooker since I only have one ancient Crock Pot. I froze half of the soup, so we'll be having it again sometime in the not too distant future.

There are many other recipes I want to try. I think that I'll do something for breakfast next.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:36 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I tried the beans and greens, but it had almost no taste. I think next time I'll do it with broth instead of water. The only thing I wasn't sure about was maybe I shoulda used the high setting instead of the low setting? I just didn't want to do that as I have a 30 year old crock pot and it's 6 quart, so I figured it probably runs hot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Cheesy Broccoli Rice, and really liked it, very creamy and tasty. Usually I avoid the shorter-cooking recipes, but I had some broccoli I needed to use and I've been eyeing that recipe for awhile, so I made it. I used veggie broth instead of chicken-style, as that's what I had, and lots of extra nooch but no cheese.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:42 pm 
Crazy bat lady

TinLychee wrote:
Just bought my copy last night! I am so stoked to try out the Tea-Scented Tofu and the Hard Cider and Cabbage Stew. Smoked Tofu and Stars looks adorable, but I have no idea where to get the stellini (Whole Foods?). Ditalini would work, but it definitely hurts the cute factor.

Look on the Mexican/Hispanic food aisle of a big grocery store. It should be in a little bag and be fairly inexpensive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:40 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Just ordered my copy today!! Got my slow cooker too! Can't wait to get slow cooking.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:55 pm 

I didn't much care for the Hugarian mushroom soup. I don't know if it was too much paprika for me (even though I halved what it called for) or the cashew sour cream being too "rich" for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

I love this cookbook! Kathy, you are my hero!
I am madly in love with my 90s era white crock pot with fake cross stitch pattern painted on it.
I bought my sister a crock pot for her birthday over the summer, and told her that's the best time to use one so you don't make your kitchen all hot, and when i asked how she liked it she told me she lent it out to someone! so i got her a copy of your book for MY birthday. (obviously a copy for myself, it's just too much work to go upstairs to her apartment to get a dang cookbook. or crockpot)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:36 pm 

I made the Asian eggplant recipe, but I about doubled the sauce and also added some okra and mushrooms (sauteed first), then served it over rice. It's quite good...probably the best of the 3 recipes I've made so far (though if it'd just been eggplant w/o the okra & mushrooms I don't think I'd have liked it as much).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm doubling the Cheezy Broccoli rice, I'm wondering if I should double the hooking time as well?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:31 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My roommate loved the smoky mac and cheeze! I think i prefer mine more traditional personally although it was still good.
I tried the mango rice with brown rice (adjusting the cooking time and liquid) and it cooked up nicely but the fat in the coconut milk cooked into awful little spongy splots everywhere and it had an awful taste. I don't know what I did wrong but I would definitely not use brown rice again. I could't even stomach it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:12 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

teapot wrote:
My roommate loved the smoky mac and cheeze! I think i prefer mine more traditional personally although it was still good.
I tried the mango rice with brown rice (adjusting the cooking time and liquid) and it cooked up nicely but the fat in the coconut milk cooked into awful little spongy splots everywhere and it had an awful taste. I don't know what I did wrong but I would definitely not use brown rice again. I could't even stomach it!

I haven't heard of that happening before. Did you use full fat coconut milk? I've only made it with light, so I'm wondering if that could be the difference? The Arborio rice does make it creamier, but the brown rice shouldn't be a problem either cooked for 2 hours or less.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:59 pm 
Chip Strong

I just bought the kindle version for my iPad and am really looking forward to trying it out! One funny thing about the Kindle version is all the references to page numbers -- for one thing, there shouldn't be page numbers as there are none, and for another thing they look like hyperlinks but don't do anything. It sure would be nice if they actually jumped to the referenced recipe, but at least the page numbers and blue underlining should be taken out as that's just confusing. I think this is a common problem with kindle books -- certainly not a big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:05 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Beanitarian wrote:
I just bought the kindle version for my iPad and am really looking forward to trying it out! One funny thing about the Kindle version is all the references to page numbers -- for one thing, there shouldn't be page numbers as there are none, and for another thing they look like hyperlinks but don't do anything. It sure would be nice if they actually jumped to the referenced recipe, but at least the page numbers and blue underlining should be taken out as that's just confusing. I think this is a common problem with kindle books -- certainly not a big deal.

I was able to double-click on the links on my pc Kindle program. I haven't tried it on the ipad yet, but I'll take a look tonight if I can.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:33 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

This bought this book before I bought my crock-pot, and now I'm obsessed with both!

I made the hard cider and cabbage stew and it was delicious, even more so the next day. The one thing I did differently was added the sausages (Field Roast apple sage) at the end of the cooking time instead of the beginning, because I know they have a tendency to fall apart and I wanted big chunks. I served it over mashed potatoes; will absolutely be making often.

Also made the asian greens, using one bunch of beet greens and one bunch of chard. I was a little suspect about the 6-8 hours cooking time, and I'm glad I checked. After 1.5 hours on low they were very soft, so I just ate them for lunch instead of dinner. Wonderful!, but I don't know how they would have been after 4 or so more hours in there. I may try collards that way though, over a few hours with some liquid smoke or something.

And last night I made the mushroom ragu and it was awesome! I didn't have any red wine (it only called for 3 tablespoons) or portabellos (little creminis only) AND I forgot to put in the fresh basil at the end, oh well, still wonderful over pasta. I'll make this again, too, hopefully with all the ingredients and it will be even better! This probably also improves over time, but I wouldn't know, as we ate the entire half-batch!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Today I made the tempeh in spicy peanut sauce. I confess, I limited the spices to coriander, cumin and salt though only because I didn't have the others in. I left out the lime juice, and added 2 shallots minced with a green chilli. It's delicious and I plan on having it with some organic udon noodles!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:38 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Made the chickpea biryani. So easy so good. Now what to make next...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:32 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just put the corn chowder in the Crock Pot for dinner tonight. Can't wait to try it! So much in this cookbook sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I really liked the Butternut Risotto and the Bouillabaisse, the Tofu red curry was a bit watery and I had to add extra coconut milk and triple the red curry paste but I do love the spice. Didn't like the Mango Black Beans, the spicing was v bland. I think I wouldn't make it again.

Mat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

In general I've found that I always need to add way more spice to crockpot things than I think I will. I haven't tried this book yet, though - I have it requested from the library.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:00 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

"Cheater Chili" is in the Crock Pot now for dinner tonight...super easy to throw together and very cheap too!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:45 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

About to make the Cheesy Broccoli Rice, but adding 3 tablespoons of chickeny bouillon sounds like a lot. Is this a misprint perhaps? It calls for 3 cups of water so 3 teaspoons sounds about right, no?

Just wondering. I have the Ibook version if that matters.

~Jennifer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next