| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your first vegan cookbook?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:36 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Is New Farm fully vegan? Then it was definitely New Farm. Then How it all Vegan, followed by Vegan with a Vengeance. My most-used vegan cookbook remains Veganomicon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:16 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

vijita wrote:
Is New Farm fully vegan?

No, it uses honey as a sweetener.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think it was Vegan Vittles, but I'm not positive. It might have even been Soy Not Oi!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

How it All Vegan, during a fire drill at my office. I was vegetarian at the time, and my boss commented that "this thing was getting scarier and scarier." It took a couple more years. VWAV sent me over the edge. I checked it out from the library a few times and finally bought it. It was the spanakopita that made me realize I'd run out of excuses (I'd recently discovered feta, and was reluctant to give it up so soon). Oh, and the fronch toast. And the first successful seitan I ever made. And the fauxstess cupcakes.

You get the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:54 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Vegan with a Vengeance- I checked it out the library made one or two things, purchased it, and found the ppk.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I remember waiting for how it all vegan to come out! Before that zines...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Mine was either The Vegan Cookbook by Wakeman & Baskerville, or Vegan Feasts by Rose Elliot - got them in the 90s & I still have them. I became a vegetarian in 1985, so I really can't remember what my first vegetarian cookbook was, but my mum would have bought it for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:32 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My first was "Easy Vegan Cooking" by an English Author - Leah Leneman. The recipes were OK, but were all a bit "english", and heavy/white/blandish. And I had no idea how to cook.

My crackup moment was when I was making her stroganoff, I didn't know there were different types of tofu. So I tried to blend extra-firm tofu in the blender, with a lot of effort. It looked *disgusting*. And then, I poured it into the stroganoff, and the whole thing went white. It had the consistency of liquid protein. Was very unpleasant. Then I attempted to use more curry powder to hide the "tofuness", and that made it terrifyingly awful. It ended up with me hysterically gagging and my boyfriend running and putting it in a bin bag and getting it out of the house.. Oh, the smell.

Thank goodness I got Eat, Drink and Be Vegan soon after. then Veganomicon!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:56 pm 
Dead by dawn

Vegan with a Vengeance! I had already decided that I wanted to (had to) go vegan and I just picked it up at random and started flipping through it. That was when I knew I could go vegan.

First vegetarian cookbook was a Hare Krishna publication called The Higher Taste. My mom brought it home for the recipes but the essays in the front made my sister and I go vegetarian in the time it took us to read them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:04 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I got Vegan with a Vengeance and Vegan Vittles in high school- made tons of stuff from both. That next weekend I got The Garden of Vegan and The Vegan Sourcebook (not really a recipe book but it does have some!).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:00 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

VWAV!!!!!!!!!! Still love it mucho!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:32 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

VwaV for me too. I was already vegan before I saw it at the library and checked it out. I thought it was a bit weird at first, I was like ' what the fork is tempeh?' and then I fell in love with it, and Isa, bought it, and now write ' fork' in otherwise normal sentences. My copy is signed now, so I love it even harder.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

VCTOTW and the Asian Vegan Kitchen. I bought them both at a vegan festival held at the primary school across the road from Boyfriend's old house back when we'd just started dating. I think I set the bar for subsequent cookbook purchases pretty high.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:49 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I got VWAV and VCTOTW together!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:47 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Students Go Vegan. I made the soba noodles with peanut sauce for my first vegan meal. Ah memories!

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:57 am 
Impressive boner

VCTOTW. I ate cakes every day for weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:03 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

8ball wrote:

That would definitely make me want to go vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:16 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mattomic wrote:
My first was "Easy Vegan Cooking" by an English Author - Leah Leneman. The recipes were OK, but were all a bit "english", and heavy/white/blandish. And I had no idea how to cook.

My crackup moment was when I was making her stroganoff, I didn't know there were different types of tofu. So I tried to blend extra-firm tofu in the blender, with a lot of effort. It looked *disgusting*. And then, I poured it into the stroganoff, and the whole thing went white. It had the consistency of liquid protein. Was very unpleasant. Then I attempted to use more curry powder to hide the "tofuness", and that made it terrifyingly awful. It ended up with me hysterically gagging and my boyfriend running and putting it in a bin bag and getting it out of the house.. Oh, the smell.

My dad recently mailed me all my ooold cookbooks and that was one of them. I was flipping through it the other day and trying to remember what I ever made from it- I know I probably did a few things. I do remember it being a bit bland, though, but vegan cooking has changed so much it's incredible.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:35 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I often wonder if I would have gone vegan earlier if the cookbooks available now had existed back then. The fact that soymilk is now available for about half of what it cost when I first started using it is a perk, too. I was vegetarian when I first encountered veganism in the mid-90s, but back then it was mostly connected to straight edge and got a lot of bad press due to sabotageing idiots. However, I did know I'd eventually go vegan years before I actually did. The food part was a lot easier for me than finding affordable vegan hygiene products (like effective antiperspirant and conditioner), though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:46 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

oh yeah, when I first went vegan there was only one kind of soymilk where I lived and it was beany and gross, but I drank it anyway. And my mom had this idea that I had to eat carob as a vegan, so she would make me soymilk and carob shakes every morning for breakfast, haha. And the only stores to buy vegan products were the old school health food stores, which I still absolutely love, I wish there were still more of them around. ahh, memories.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My first veg cookbook was The Whole Food Catalog by Nava Atlas. I bought it in about 88 or 89. It walks you through whole grains, fruits, veggies, nuts and so forth.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VWAV! I had a few vegetarian cookbooks from years past that just didn't do it for me. Then I had the Moosewood books which were a great transitional tool. I gave them away, and I kind of regret that. Anyway, VWAV was what totally convinced my husband that vegan could work and be awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:20 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

VWAV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:00 pm 
ugh

VB and VCTOYCJ because I'm a newb.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

8ball wrote:

i'm glad someone else got this one first too!
I had been bringing cookies and cupcakes to shows for a long time and it broke my heart every time someone said "oh i'm vegan!" so i got it to accomodate.
Veganomicon was next though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next