| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan Soul Kitchen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:35 pm 
Chip Strong

I love the baked bbq black eyed peas and the citrus collards. The singer hibiscus drink is awesome as well. I made the fritters but haven't tried any of the hot sauces. I need to get on that.
The bbq black eyed peas take a long time but they make enough to bring to a potluck or last for a week of work lunches so they're totally worth the time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just bought this tonight! I'm pretty excited, we don't really have this style of food here, so I haven't grown up with or even tried most of the things in this book. Some of the ingredients might be tricky to find (different kinds of greens, mainly), but I'll check out the farmers market on Sunday and see what I can get.

I'm not too sure where to start, though. The Jamaican veggie patties sound pretty good. But I'm open to your recommendations on what someone fairly unfamiliar with this style of food should try first!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Does anyone have a recommendation for what seitan recipe to use in his recipes that calls for it? I was thinking something from AVK or the Surefire from AFR...

I was flipping through this book for the first time last night, and I really like his writing style and that it has a soundtrack.

The mustard cutlets, mushroom gravy, garlic braised brussels and chipotle carrot cole slaw are all on my immediate to-makes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the Cajun Tofu, steamed greens (used purple kale) with tahini dressing, and coconut rice last night. It was all really good, even if I missed the parts about using defrosted tofu and soaking the rice overnight - it was last minute decision making.

I'm going to make an easy guess that my rice would have been creamier had I soaked, and that maybe the coating would have stuck to the tofu better. Regardless, really good!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:33 am 
WELFARIST!

I wanted to resurrect this thread as I'm on a bender with this cookbook lately. I made the rosemary tofu cubes, the braised brussel sprouts in garlic broth and the cumin and carmelized onion mashed potatoes on the weekend. All DIVINE. And make a nice meal together.

This weekend, I'm gonna make the blackened tofu with succotash and coconut rice and probably one of the greens recipes. I want to try some other stuff too. There are lots of refresher, non-alcoholic drink recipes too, maybe I'll try one of those. I plan to dive into this cookbook over the next few weeks and summer seems like a good time for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:57 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The blackened tofu is really good. You won't be disappointed. I'm reminded that I should make it again with the peach salsa variation now that peaches are in season.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:16 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I found this cookbook at the LIBRARY!

I haven't yet tried a single recipe from it (though I'm making list), but I just have to say that I think every cookbook EVER should have a soundtrack for each recipe. This should be the new standard for cookbooks. Clever title, cute accompanying story, list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, SOUNDTRACK.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:31 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

That shroom stock is worth making. It makes my kitchen smell so good and I freeze it so I have it available whenever I need it. I also think it is awesome how he suggests saving mushroom stalks and stems from greens, etc, for stock. I started doing that and it makes the stock process less painful because I don't feel like I'm buying a ton of stuff just to make stock.

The Cajun tofu and citrus collards are easy and I make them a lot. I also like the cashew grits and like others have mentioned, the hot sauce for the black eyed pea fritters is the best hot sauce ever. I hated the green tempeh packets. Blah! A lot of work and no flavor.

The smothered seitan medallions with the the gravy has become my Christmas day meal because it is too complicated for everyday, but unbelievable for a special day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:31 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I thinking the seitan medallions will be my thanksgiving dinner this year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:06 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

The garlic broth brussels are my favorite recipe, for my favorite veggie. Saying that 3-4 years ago wouldn't have meant much, but now it really means something. (I still have about 4 more sprout recipes I use regularly too. Love my brussels!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:10 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

MAN, if all of this book is as good as the cajun tempeh with creamy grits I am so excited to cook more from it. Dang.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:25 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have this cookbook and have had it for well over a year. I have only made the citrus collards from it (which were indeed fabulous) and opened the thread to get re-inspired (you know, before I go buy yet another cookbook). I feel what everyone is saying about the labor intensity of the recipes. I really want to cook from this cookbook and I wish I knew where to start. I love the style of it and you all have some really good ideas so I will start with those.

My Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:35 am 
Saggy Butt

choirqueer wrote:
I haven't yet tried a single recipe from it (though I'm making list), but I just have to say that I think every cookbook EVER should have a soundtrack for each recipe. This should be the new standard for cookbooks.

I have definitely found a few new songs I like from this cookbook!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:53 am 
WELFARIST!

seitanicverses wrote:
This weekend, I'm gonna make the blackened tofu with succotash and coconut rice and probably one of the greens recipes.

I wound up making this last summer and still remember it fondly. It was yum except I don't think I made the coconut rice part but I can't remember. Definitely the tofu and the succotash and whatever else I ate it with were really delish though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm scared of this book. Everything looks so complicated or fried or both. Motivate me to cook something, PPK?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:20 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

zwingtip wrote:
I'm scared of this book. Everything looks so complicated or fried or both. Motivate me to cook something, PPK?

Turnip shallot soup!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:51 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

choirqueer wrote:
zwingtip wrote:

Turnip shallot soup!

Is this awesome enough to convert a lifelong turnip hater? I feel like it probably is (wasn't it on your blog?)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:04 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

zwingtip wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
zwingtip wrote:

Turnip shallot soup!

Is this awesome enough to convert a lifelong turnip hater? I feel like it probably is (wasn't it on your blog?)

It's certainly worth a try. It is pretty awesome. You might try chopping your turnip smaller than the suggested size to make it easier to get used to - I find sometimes when I'm adjusting to a new thing, it's easier for me if it's in smaller pieces.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Still sceptical. My family used to put a ton of turnips in stews when I was little and it was awful. Making the rosemary tofu cubes tonight, though!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:54 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

zwingtip wrote:
Still sceptical. My family used to put a ton of turnips in stews when I was little and it was awful. Making the rosemary tofu cubes tonight, though!

I will make it too! We can compare notes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:14 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I really love this book. I don't cook out of it as often as I used to. But I make a habit of skipping steps that seem unnecessary and it's always worked out for me.

My favorite recipe is the mixed greens gratin. Yummy! And always a hit with omni guests.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:32 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

choirqueer wrote:
zwingtip wrote:

Well, that was my first disappointment from this book. I got the perfect texture for the tofu by roasting it an extra 15 minutes, but it was pretty apparent once I started eating it that it should have been marinated for a while before roasting, and that the paprika probably should have been cayenne. Next time I try this, I would probably add a tablespoon or two of white wine vinegar and a clove or two of minced garlic, and marinate it in the fridge overnight before roasting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

choirqueer wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
zwingtip wrote:

Well, that was my first disappointment from this book. I got the perfect texture for the tofu by roasting it an extra 15 minutes, but it was pretty apparent once I started eating it that it should have been marinated for a while before roasting, and that the paprika probably should have been cayenne. Next time I try this, I would probably add a tablespoon or two of white wine vinegar and a clove or two of minced garlic, and marinate it in the fridge overnight before roasting.

Aw, I liked it. But I also doubled the rosemary and used hot paprika because that's what I had on hand. And let it sit in the mix while waiting for the toaster oven to warm up. It probably also helped that it being a toaster oven it was really close to the heat. The garlic idea sounds good, though. I would press the tofu properly next time too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:42 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

What in the hell is coconut butter and is there anything that I can substitute? I've looked for that stuff everywhere and I'm starting to think it's made up.

I've had this cookbook for a couple of years and never made a single recipe out of it, which is unheard of for me. I'm determined to make some stuff, but not being able to locate the mythical coconut butter is putting a wrench in my plans.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:52 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

If you aren't opposed to ordering things off the internet, here's one brand of coconut butter from amazon, though I've found it at WF before as well.Coconut Butter

You could also make your own, using this recipe. All it takes is shredded coconut!