| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan Soul Kitchen
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:49 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thanks a ton, gaia. I don't have a Whole Foods, and it's a bit too spendy for me to order online. I will try to make it myself if I can find unsweetened coconut flakes - I hope my dinosaur of a food processor is up to the task!

(I've moved to somewhere that's pretty much the middle of nowhere, I'm having a bit of ingredient frustration lately.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:03 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

"Coconut butter" can be a confusing term. Both the blended coconut plus coconut oil products like Artisana and solid coconut oil are called coconut butter in recipes. (Coconut oil is solid at temperatures below 76º F. )

I think Bryant Terry is calling for coconut oil. In the Coconut Oil Pie Crust recipe p. 187 he calls for "7 tablespoons coconut butter (solidified coconut oil)". In other recipes he calls for coconut butter without clarifying what he means.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:29 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

gingerlime wrote:
"Coconut butter" can be a confusing term. Both the blended coconut plus coconut oil products like Artisana and solid coconut oil are called coconut butter in recipes. (Coconut oil is solid at temperatures below 76º F. )

I think Bryant Terry is calling for coconut oil. In the Coconut Oil Pie Crust recipe p. 187 he calls for "7 tablespoons coconut butter (solidified coconut oil)". In other recipes he calls for coconut butter without clarifying what he means.

Hmm, well then! I'm out to sea, I guess. I can get coconut oil, if that's what he means. He calls for coconut oil specifically in an oatmeal recipe and in several other places, but lists chilled coconut butter in the biscuit recipe that I want to try. It makes sense to me that it could be the solidified oil, I'm not sure that the other stuff has enough fat in it to do the job. Has anyone made the sweet cornmeal-coconut butter drop biscuits? If so, what did you use?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've got this for Christmas and have only made the veggie patties since. I've never had soul food of any kind before so I really don't know where to start :/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:39 am 
Tofu Pup

I don't remember the exact name - but there is a miso based dressing for corn that is freakin' delicious (and easy to make).

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:29 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Re: chilled coconut butter:
"Mr. TERRY: The recipe calls for chilled coconut butter and it, you know, in the book I explained, and I should have put that on the recipe, Jack. But you know, coconut butter is simply coconut oil that has, you know, just kind of like sat, and a good way to take coconut oil and make it coconut butter is put it in the refrigerator so that it can harden."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =120816487

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:23 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the banana maple cornbread muffins for breakfast today and they were great. I left out the pecans because we are an anti-nuts-in-baked-goods family.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:25 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Choirqueer, thanks for the heads up re the turnip soup. We have like a metric ton of turnips from our winter CSA and I can only eat so many of those things roasted - soup is genius!

I made the citrus collards (except I subbed a bag of chopped Trader Joe's mixed winter greens) tonight, and they knocked my socks off. Holy crepe, seriously tasty. I cut way back on the raisins though (1/4c instead of the 2/3c called for...?? even then I could have cut back another tablespoon) and chopped them so that they'd be more distributed. It reminded me of thanksgiving dressing (savory + sweet fruit) but in a much healthier way. YUM. This will be a new go-to for winter greens. And wouldn't they be a great mardi gras dish with something purple, like maybe red onion, and golden raisins?

This book is seriously underappreciated in my kitchen. Something that needs to be fixed.

Also, why isn't there a Spotify mix put together with the songs in this cookbook? Hrmph.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

dandykins wrote:
Choirqueer, thanks for the heads up re the turnip soup. We have like a metric ton of turnips from our winter CSA and I can only eat so many of those things roasted - soup is genius!

I made the citrus collards (except I subbed a bag of chopped Trader Joe's mixed winter greens) tonight, and they knocked my socks off. Holy crepe, seriously tasty. I cut way back on the raisins though (1/4c instead of the 2/3c called for...?? even then I could have cut back another tablespoon) and chopped them so that they'd be more distributed. It reminded me of thanksgiving dressing (savory + sweet fruit) but in a much healthier way. YUM. This will be a new go-to for winter greens. And wouldn't they be a great mardi gras dish with something purple, like maybe red onion, and golden raisins?

This book is seriously underappreciated in my kitchen. Something that needs to be fixed.

Also, why isn't there a Spotify mix put together with the songs in this cookbook? Hrmph.

Yay!

I've been making the red wine simmered seitan and red beans thing a bunch, too.

I made a Grooveshark playlist forever ago! http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/Vega ... n/60908536

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:09 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I had forgotten about what a genius Bryant Terry is until I made the Creole tempeh and creamy grits last night. That was some deliciousness.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

yeah, I love this book. And seeing this thread reminded me that it's got a great lot of summerish recipes I should be making now. I plan to try some of his non-alcoholic drinks this summer (he has a non-alch plantars punch and other refreshing type stuff).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:38 pm 

I've been using this book more often recently because it's been easy to find recipes to use up my CSA greens.

Last week I made the Roasted Potato & Mixed Greens Gratin. It was very easy, but it did take a while to prepare and dirtied a lot of pots and pans. I find that pretty typical of this book though. The gratin was delicious! I think it would be great paired with polenta.

I made the Collard Confetti and it failed. I added too much pepper, not enough lemon and am pretty sure it needed to cook longer.

The Spicy Smothered Green Cabbage was very good. I'm a spice wimp and I thought this was very spicy but even I could eat it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:03 pm 

For a a picnic over the weekend, the husband & I made the Marinated Grilled Summer Squash & Bell Peppers, the Rosemary-Roasted Tofu and the Citrus Collards with Raisins Redux.

We'd had the peppers & tofu before, both of which are very good. I can't believe I've waited so long to have these delicious collards! It's such a simple preparation and I don't even like raisins all that much, but my husband & I both went a bit gaga for this. What a big flavor for such few ingredients.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:06 pm 

Me again!

In case anyone's interested:

~For the 4th we did grilled corn with Spicy Garlic-Miso Dressing. We'd had this once before, a year ago. This is like, the only way I want to eat grilled corn now. It's lip-smacking good!!

More of the fussy, oh-so-time-consuming recipes:
~Charred Plum Tomato Soup: in which I made Sweet Corn Broth & roasted tomatoes, yada, yada, yada. The flavor was pretty yummy, but I sincerely doubt I would go to all the trouble again. Anyway, the texture was a bit strange for me with a smooth base, then slightly chunky bits of corn. Plus:
~Crispy Okra Strips with Lime-Thyme Vinaigrette: Just so-so on their own, but fantastic in the soup.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have this cookbook but the recipes look time consuming. Which would you recommend as being relatively quick?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:30 pm 

LFL wrote:
I have this cookbook but the recipes look time consuming. Which would you recommend as being relatively quick?

I haven't made a huge variety out of this book, but for quick preparations I would recommend the Citrus Collards with Raisins, the Grilled Corn with Garlic-Miso Dressing that I mentioned above & the Rosemary-Roasted Tofu Cubes. These 3 recipes are very simple and don't dirty tons of pots & pans that so many recipes seem to do.

If you have a bit more time, the Roasted Red Potato Salad with Parsley-Pine Nut Pesto is great. Most of the time is hands-off as well, as the potatoes & peppers are roasting in the oven.

Good Luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

Zula wrote:
LFL wrote:

I haven't made a huge variety out of this book, but for quick preparations I would recommend the Citrus Collards with Raisins, the Grilled Corn with Garlic-Miso Dressing that I mentioned above & the Rosemary-Roasted Tofu Cubes. These 3 recipes are very simple and don't dirty tons of pots & pans that so many recipes seem to do.

If you have a bit more time, the Roasted Red Potato Salad with Parsley-Pine Nut Pesto is great. Most of the time is hands-off as well, as the potatoes & peppers are roasting in the oven.

Good Luck!!

Thank you! All of those sound great!