| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quick and Easy Vegan Slow Cooking by Carla Kelly
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:48 am 
Tofu Pup

So I read the thread The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester where it was briefly mentioned, but I was just wondering what people's impressions were of this book? Or maybe some fave recipes? There seems to be no reviews on amazon I can look at :(
I'm a slow cooker noob so I'm looking to buy one of these cookbooks and I'm just wondering which one to start with. Does anyone know if either of them are particularly UK friendly in terms of ingredients?

Post subject: Re: Quick and Easy Vegan Slow Cooking by Carla Kelly
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:51 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Looks like the book isn't yet available, which is why there aren't any reviews yet. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

Oh whoops! You're very right! I thought I had a real numpty moment then but realised that it just says 'Temporarily out of stock' on the UK Amazon - hence my confusion! Thanks for pointing it out though :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:42 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I was a tester for this book and she has some amazing recipes - I loved the curries.

You can find one of the recipes that didn't make the cut on Carla's site http://veganyear.blogspot.com/ or here http://theexperimentpublishing.com/archives/1859

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:19 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Just got my copy today!!! So excited to make some awesome, slow cooked meals.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Okay so I just got this cookbook and I started off with the pineapple seitan. I made it with white seitan from Viva Vegan. It was quick and good. Tonight I made the not-meat balls, a lot more complicated than I'm looking for with the slow cooker, which I use to get dinner on quick as a working parent with a baby, but I think they are going to be good. Can't wait for them to be done. I made a double recipe of the balls, that I'm planning to freeze to simplify the process for next time around. I'm not sure if that will work but it doesn't hurt to try.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:01 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I just got this book from the library, but nothing is really appealing to me. Has anyone else made any more from it?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:10 am 
Nailed to the V

I got to say, I have made a couple of things out of this and they have all been great.

The Poached Garlic / Garlic oil thing is the bomb!!! I have eaten about 40 cloves of garlic in the past couple of weeks because they are soooooo good with everything. I just keep recycling the oil so it get more and more garlicky as it goes. The cloves are so damn good -- they are seriously addictive. Props to Carla because I wouldn't of thought of sticking a whack of garlic into oil into my slow cooker.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:16 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

That garlic sounds fantastic Jonny. We love garlic, so I'll definitely have to try that recipe! I'd caution against reusing the olive oil you cook the garlic in though due to the possibility of botulism spores germinating in the oil.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

The ebook version of this cookbook is currently only $2.99 in the kindle store. Thanks to Liz_D's heads up in the other thread, I bought it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:16 pm 

I just made my first recipe from this book - the Tomato, Barley and Lentil Stew. It wasn't too fancy, but was quite tasty and required no additional steps (sautéing things beforehand, etc). One of the easiest slow cooker recipes I've ever made.

I am really looking forward to trying a few more recipes from this book soon. The poached garlic is on my list to try soon, as we have an over abundance of homegrown garlic from friends.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:24 pm 

I also made the poached garlic and roasted cauliflower soup. It was delicious! I might recommend a double batch if you have a larger slow cooker, but pureeing a larger quantity might be a pain. It made a little less than 4 dinner-sized servings.

When I made the poached garlic it came out more like deep fried, maybe because I had a bit less garlic than the recipe called for. It made the house smell really weird, but it was kinda good just to eat by itself...not really garlicky like you might expect. I think the poaching is probably kind of unnecessary for the cauliflower soup, since you could just roast garlic with the cauliflower. I'll probably try that next time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:30 am 
Nailed to the V

Beanitarian wrote:
When I made the poached garlic it came out more like deep fried, maybe because I had a bit less garlic than the recipe called for..

did you have your cooker set to low? When I did it on high I too ended up with deep fried but on low it was super creamy and delicious. I once forgot I had them going and let it cook on low for about 10 hours and man it was like garlic hard candy. Yes, the house reaks for a while....good way to get back at landlords for being loud.

The botulism link above is dead but makes me anxious.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:39 am 

I did it on low for the indicated amount of time. It's a new slow cooker, so maybe it runs hot, but I haven't had trouble with stuff burning yet.

Regarding the botulism, you should definitely store the oil and garlic in the fridge. Reusing the oil to poach more garlic isn't a good idea, but I don't see why you would want to intensify the stinkiness... If you want to keep the oil for longer than a couple of weeks, the freezer would be safer. Botulinum spores can indeed germinate in oil - including homemade oil-preserved foods and herb infused oils made with fresh or dried herbs. You can try adding "site:.gov" to google searches to get more authoritative info -- the CDC and FDA are usually good sources for food safety info.