| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: carb cravings?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

I get carb cravings like, really badly, constantly. is it because i dont eat enough of them?!

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: carb cravings?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:21 pm 
Chard Martyr

probably! your body knows what's up. you should also make sure you're eating regularly so you don't get such intense cravings.

Also, carbs are not a bad thing. Carbohydrates should comprise at least 50% of your diet.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

I do eat three meals a day but I did NOT know its mean to be 50% so maybe thats why! =]

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

When you say carbs what exactly do you mean? Bread, sweets, pure sugar, fruit, veggies?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

bread/pasta/rice. Sweets NEVER help.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:49 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i crave pasta and sandwiches a lot and it's usually when i'm in a horrible cycle of eating white pasta, white bread, pizza from work (sometimes it's all i can eat, even though i know refined carbs are no good). whole grains are good though, eat 'em up!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Experts disagree on the amount of carbs you need (if any). There are necessary fats (EFAs) and necessary amino acids from dietary protein (EAAs) but no biologically necessary carbs. That of course doesn't mean that a carb free or even a modestly low carb diet is best however.

I think 50%+ isn't necessary though unless you're an endurance athlete (runner, biker, swimmer etc) or something. If you are a serious endurance athlete though, you'd probably want to eat like 80% carbs, many of them refined.

I find that I don't really crave carbs even when I'm intentionally reducing them. Right now, I think I'm getting about 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbs (and relatively few refined carbs) and I feel great and I've eaten lower carb than that in the past with no issues.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:07 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'm with vegimator, more or less. Cutting refined carbs cuts my carb cravings overall. Keeping a fair amount of whole grains and starchy fruit and veg in my life is way more helpful to me than just cutting everything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:54 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

erawka wrote:
I'm with vegimator, more or less. Cutting refined carbs cuts my carb cravings overall. Keeping a fair amount of whole grains and starchy fruit and veg in my life is way more helpful to me than just cutting everything.

Agreed. When I get most of my carbs from veggies, beans, etc. as opposed to refined carbs, I don't crave them at all and am a lot less hungry

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:27 am 
Saggy Butt

And although I hate to bring up the P word, if you are not eating enough protein then you may crave carbs, especially refined carbs. I don't know why this is so but it happens to me and I have heard it from others.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:03 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

This can go both ways--I think people naturally will have different cravings and if you're satisfying those cravings with mostly nutritious foods, I wouldn't worry about it.

I will add, though, that if I'm craving lots of refined carbs like white bread, pasta, rice, etc., it's usually because I'm not getting enough sleep, I'm not eating enough protein in the morning so my blood sugar is wonky all day and I try to keep it up with quick carbs, or I'm stressed and wanting to eat for emotional reasons. I don't fight any of these, but I do try to pay attention to these cues because I want to be healthy and feel good. Otherwise, though, I just listen to what my body wants.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]