| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:43 am 
Saggy Butt

I tried the C25K last year and failed. Just couldn't mentally make myself go for 20 minutes at one time. Tried again this winter and made it. WHoop! I much much prefer running in the cold, although not as cold and snowy as it's been the last few weeks. I'm definitely not looking forward to the summer here because it gets really hot. I carried on and did the first 3 of the 10k podcasts that are up and now have made it to an hour on my own. Half marathon in October here we come. To anyone finding it tough just keep going. It's worth it :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:34 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

hannahkate wrote:
I tried the C25K last year and failed. Just couldn't mentally make myself go for 20 minutes at one time. Tried again this winter and made it. WHoop! I much much prefer running in the cold, although not as cold and snowy as it's been the last few weeks. I'm definitely not looking forward to the summer here because it gets really hot. I carried on and did the first 3 of the 10k podcasts that are up and now have made it to an hour on my own. Half marathon in October here we come. To anyone finding it tough just keep going. It's worth it :)

Awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Week 6 day two: done. I had a few days off last week, then did Wed and yesterday, and was physically exhausted last night, which is one of the big reasons i'm doing it. (i don't sleep well, but running makes me sleep more)
So taking today off, because i've just realized that i have finished all the intervals. Gulp. From now on it's all solid runs. Time to make some good mixes, i guess.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:22 am 
Ninja Master

Good luck Torque. You'll be fine, i didn't struggle with the straights as much as I thought I would! I'm struggling now because I took a break. hahaha. but when I was following the programme I got through it and amazed myself!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

hannahkate wrote:

That's great! It feels so good to complete it, so congratulations.

I was similar, I needed to do the couch to 5k twice before I was successful. I modified the course the second time round. I'd let myself hang on weeks, so if my body felt like a plateau, I would let it do that. Eventually it wanted to go further.

I love the C25K, and think it can be very effective, but I think many people wont make it through because the program can push a little faster than some bodies are prepared to go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:22 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

sftravis wrote:
Did wk1 day 2 today. It was a lot easier on the lungs and legs. It wasn't the best though since I forgot sweat pants and we had an ice storm yesterday. I ran in jeans during lunch and had to be very careful of ice.

Well we got an ice storm and some snow so I had to stop. I'll have to start over when it gets nice out. Still walking 5-7 miles day though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:19 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

after my dopey week passing out last week and it's been frigging hotter than hell and a million other excuses, i finally got that week 7 run kicked in the butt. i have been trying to go way too fast. there was a little guy in the gym this week running 6km/hr, sort of shuffling (when i do a walking warmup i go at 6k, so i was so curious). today when i hit that 6 minute "why the fork am i doing this i hate this let's just bag it and go do elliptical" feeling i slowed down the treadmill and told myself i would not stop til i was told (podcast). luckily i had a really good podcast, i frigging hate the ones where they chime in every minute to tell you how many more you have. this one tells you the halfway point and that's it.
anyway, yeah, week 7, moving right along.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:23 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Week 8, in the bag. As I posted elsewhere, running is such a mindgame. I can't believe I just did 5.5km.

is anybody else still working on it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:13 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I loved this program, but like a goofball, had nothing planned for after it so I just...lapsed. I'm doing Insanity now, but once I'm done with that, I'm going to do c25k and then the 10k bridge. There's a 5K in December that I really want to do (Anyone else doing the Orlando Color Run?)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I started back on this yesterday. I figure with all I have going on I can't really justify the time ti takes to do p90x, plus it wears me out. I wound up only doing 15 minutes of intervals plus the warm up. I'm getting over the flu so I figured I shouldn't push it. I'm using RunKeeper, it's got great features without being cumbersome.

torque, your progress is awesome. Please keep me inspired!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:30 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i am done!!!!!!!!!!! i realized that i did maybe 5 or 6 of each workout instead of 3 (it was recently pointed out to me).... i think though this made it take more like 3 months instead of 9 weeks, it made it a lot more doable.

so now i need to decide if i should hang out on runkeeper or some other place. i definitely need a place to track my runs and stuff.

have fun peeps!! C25k is seriously one of the best things i've done in the last few years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

torque wrote:
i am done!!!!!!!!!!! i realized that i did maybe 5 or 6 of each workout instead of 3 (it was recently pointed out to me).... i think though this made it take more like 3 months instead of 9 weeks, it made it a lot more doable.

so now i need to decide if i should hang out on runkeeper or some other place. i definitely need a place to track my runs and stuff.

have fun peeps!! C25k is seriously one of the best things i've done in the last few years.

Congrats! I'm determined to stick with it, although I'm only to day 2 (tomorrow will be 3). I'm sort of amazed at how much better I feel, and even though I'm getting over being sick, I swear I feel like stairs don't wind me as badly.

I only do runkeeper because it's on my phone and can tell me when to change pace. I would never get through C25K with a stopwatch!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:00 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i use podcasts, as i have to use time as well, but dont use a smartphone.

hang in there, it is seriously awesome, and if i coudl do it, anyone could do it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Week 1-DOWN!

And lovely coincidence--a 5k just got announced that is very close to the end of my 8 weeks. Yay!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:35 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I just started this yesterday and thought I would be ok because I am pretty active already, I go to the gym everyday, see a personal trainer.

Uh ... it killed me. 5 minute warm up and 15 minutes of intervals and I was ready to collapse! Please tell me I am not alone in this? I will keep it up because I am looking forward to looking back and seeing my progress. Still, holy shiitake! I am dreading tomorrow!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:55 am 
Seagull of the PPK

You are most certainly not alone. Keep repeating it and take it SLOW. if it helps, there are forums on the couch to 5k site, and you might feel better hearing other people have your same doubts.

My first few weeks were absolute torture. But you're right- at the end, you will look back and say "holy shiitake i am awesome."
Good for you, you can totally do this!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 am 

Thank you, Torque. You have made me dread tomorrow a little less!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was hesitant about going on to week 3, which has two 3-minute jogging intervals, but I trudged on and totally kicked it's asparagus (mostly). This felt like an accomplishment for me.

The biggest thing I've noticed that makes a difference is where I run. My neighborhood is hilly (hard) and a nearby track is small and round (boring) but some other tracks nearby are winding but flat, so I don't have to see how far I have to run, I'm not going in circles, and I'm not tackling hills. I don't know if that makes any difference to you, but maybe vary up where you run.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:16 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I just finished week 2 day 2 this morning. Does anyone else run on a treadmill? I've been running at 5:30am and it's still dark outside.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:09 am 
Ninja Master

I run on a treadmill, mainly because I was training over winter and I didn't want to run outside at night. I'm tempted to start running before work though because there's some lovely woods and a lake behind my boss' house.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:34 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i also run on a treadmill, i can only schedule in a run at lunchtime and by then the sun is too strong for me outside. i've found it actually really helpful, it changed the way I run (less leaning forward and more mid-foot striking)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:58 am 

I would run on the treadmill but I am so scared of falling when I increase the speed!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:57 am 
Seagull of the PPK

don't worry about speed!!!! that's what the panic button is for, anyway (i actually fell on a treadmill when i was a young'un and i think about it from time to time but i am the world's biggest scaredy cat, especially with anything that can re-injure my knee. it's no big deal!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:08 am 

Sarah-Jane wrote:
I keep threatening to do this and have yet to actually try it. November I will begin! If anyone else is going to start around then it would be great to have some support.

Hey, I posted in here Oct 2010! Took me a little longer than I thought to get started!

I was gonna do my 2nd day today but I am leaving it til tomorrow because Tue, Thurs and Sat I do less cardio at the gym. I think I like going outside, so I am going to stick with that, especially because it is apparently more difficult outside so I won't have to get used to that later on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I really, really needed to do week 3, day 2 today but my period kicked my asparagus this time. It made me violently sick last night, I didn't get any sleep, and I have flu-like aches. Yay! So, um, I guess I'll be getting behind on this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 31  Next