| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: post about your process and unfinished work!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

because fork, sometimes you wanna rap about a project before it's done, y'know?
anything, textiles, drawings, paintings, sculptures, whatever!

I'm currently enameling some pendants!
those are essentially glass fused to metal, and the paintings are done with powdered glass+oil (like using REALLY finicky watercolors)

I have to wait 36 hours, then I can throw them in a 1500 degree kiln and fuze them on to the glass that's already there! hooray!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Post subject: Re: post about your process and unfinished work!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Neat! So you paint with the glass/oil mix and then fire them? That's really awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:56 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Neat!

I'm writing a YA novel. It's going very well, but I am reworking the ending and that is forking annoying. No pics or nothin', sorry!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

no pics necessary!

solipsistnation- yep! once the oil dries, it's just the pigmented glass left on the surface, then when you fire it the glass fuses together and sinks in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:14 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

getting the mechanics of a project in shape to show a clientperson hopefully tomorrow. in the mean time, a bunch of behind the scenes work just to make my life easier (hopefully) in the far future. pushin' 0s, pushin 1s.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:27 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

joshua wrote:
getting the mechanics of a project in shape to show a clientperson hopefully tomorrow. in the mean time, a bunch of behind the scenes work just to make my life easier (hopefully) in the far future. pushin' 0s, pushin 1s.

I'm taking a client's systems and making them not a nightmare to run for them! It's fun! I get to install stuff.

Sometimes it takes a while and then I go post on message boards. FUN.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:29 pm 

/etc/init.d/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:21 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I am sewing plush cats and aprons right now. I have some paper sculpture plans in the works.

Love the process.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm writing a graphic novel. Or webcomic. Or something where the end product combines words and pictures. Or all three.

I've done a lot of idea creation, and a little bit of actual dialogue writing. I've also just gotten to a point where I like what I draw (even though I know I've got miles to go), and am starting a drawing class in March.

I've been sitting on this idea for literally years and for whatever reason, I just decided to start one day and not stop until I'm happy with what I've done.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Sooooo like, I don't have to post in here 'cause I'm not working on anything and that makes me annoyed. Sooooo, anyone want me to do something for them? Maybe I need to copy Boober's draw thread. But then I'd be copying Boober's draw thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:39 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I'm working on a set of dragon puppets. And a couple of bags. And someone asked me if I could make a hat shaped like a uterus...so that project is still in the imagination phase!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

joshua wrote:
/etc/init.d/

They put a passphrase on the SSL cert for their web server. This means you have to type it in every time you restart said web server.

Who does that? Nobody does that!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 am 

solipsistnation wrote:
joshua wrote:
/etc/init.d/

They put a passphrase on the SSL cert for their web server. This means you have to type it in every time you restart said web server.

bet you can't wait for that support call.. you *know* it's coming ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:38 pm 
<3

I've been wanting to sew some simple plush cats if my real ones would let me sew. Hopefully in a few years I'll have a bigger place and I plan to have a room that is off limits to kitties so I can work in there, leave it and come back to my work instead of always having to put everything away to protect the cats. (thread pins etc)

I think it's normal to have several projects going at once.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

hell yeah it's normal to have several projects at once!
I've got enameled things, silkscreen projects, poster designs, polymer plate photo etchings, and drawings all in the works this week.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:09 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

joshua wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:
joshua wrote:
/etc/init.d/

bet you can't wait for that support call.. you *know* it's coming ;)

Ha! Today I was basically wresting control of their servers from them and making them conform to MY standards. That's right, baby, these are MY boxes now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:25 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

Projects! <3
I'm in school full-time, but with the minimum credit requirement, and I also don't have a real job (boo!) so I have way too much time on my hands, which is great for lots of projects!

Non-school:

I have a bunch of really pretty light/minty green fabric sitting next to me that will be turned into curtains sometime in the next week. Also making matching pillows. Also some other fabric for making clothing, but I always have a really hard time getting into sewing projects. It'll happen sometime!

Just finished my crochet project (!!!), so I'll probably start a new one sometime in the next week. Ideas: donut pillow, hats, little stuffed cupcakes

Working on a cookbook on and off since last summer. I'm doing lots of baking and recipe writing this month.

School:

I'm in a 2D/3D drawing class right now (which I haven't done in forever!), so I've been making lots of drawings and sculptures every week. I have to make a working model of a leg out of cardboard for this upcoming week.

Poetry and prose every week for creative writing class.

Semester long photo projects all the time! Here's where I update with what I'm currently working on: http://kellypeloza.com/works-in-progress/
Progress and final crits pretty much every week, plus gradually writing and editing an artist statement. The portfolio website was last week's major project, and it's still sorta in progress.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:11 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

boober...those pendants are gorgeous!

I've always got a squillion projects on the go - it's the bane of my existence because I prefer to work systematically on one thing at a time. Today I have a slight diversion from my normal activities, I have some interview questions for a blog feature & a new printmaking book that's coming out. I really don't like describing my work, I prefer making it, so I'm struggling a little.

Once they're done, I'll be back to getting some new products together for my shop - I have a jewellery range coming out, some new greeting card designs, textiles for the first time, accessories such as pocket mirrors, magnets, etc, some new gocco prints that I'm working on, & a new daily drawing project I've just started. Phew.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:48 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

So my process for working on projects tends to involve absurd amounts of low-key mental planning and only go into actual working-on-it a LONG time after I conceive of the project. So, like, I decided to build some models, got some models, and then put them on my workbench for a month while I considered glue and paint and stuff, and only after I had a total beginning-to-end plan in my head did I sit down and start doing stuff. And this was for a project with basically every step defined (Step 1: Follow directions. Step 2: Now you have a finished thing.). When I get into longer-term projects, it gets silly, even if it's something that doesn't require a ton of work.

Part of it is that I don't like redoing things, so I want to make sure I think about them until I know I won't have to redo even the tiniest bits. This gets REALLY absurd when it's something like my project where I'm taking a couple of military surplus helmets with built-in headsets and modifying them so they can be used with consumer AV equipment (so I can be that jerk on Skype wearing a helmet or something, I dunno).

I know pretty much what I need to do-- pull out some parts, put in some other parts, make sure it's glued in using silicon caulk so bits don't rattle around, heat-shrink some bits. It's not complicated, but it's kind of fiddly and I don't have good specs for all the parts, and some parts were hard to find (I'm trying to keep it looking good so it's not an obvious hack-job. But MAN I've had this stuff hanging around for like six months now. Realistically, it's about 4 hours of work. I made a similar modification to a Soviet tank crew helmet that took about 45 minutes, and this is only more complicated because US gear is more complex (of course it is. more expensive, too, I'm sure, but a factor of probably 50.). I have schematics, parts, cable, tools, everything. But there are a couple of things I'm not totally sure of-- there's a switch on the side that I'd like to use but the schematic is kind of rough and the layout is weird and it'd take some time to get it working, and meeeeh. Effort.

Man, I dunno. I need to, as it were, shiitake or get off the pot. It's not difficult! I just, I dunno. I'd rather have the project and know it's there to do than actually do it?

I ran into this when I was doing electronic music stuff much more actively. I would tear down and rebuild my studio every couple of months, assigning channels, running cables, labeling things, trying to work out the ergonomics of how keyboards and my mixer and all that were set up. Then I'd record a couple of things and go do something else for a couple of months. I guess I just liked setting it up more than I actually liked using it.

...and that's why I am now a senior-level sysadmin, building systems that other people actually use. Hooray for finding a niche! It'd be nice to finish up my own stuff eventually, though...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've been learning pottery for the last couple of years and it is process that involves many steps and a lot of waiting/patience. The process involves making something out of clay, letting it dry to a firm but still wet state, trimming it, letting it dry completely, firing it, glazing it, then firing it one final time. I have to go by the school's timetable for when stuff gets fired, sometimes it can take 4 or 5 weeks before I see a final result. It's so hard especially when you are dying to see a particular piece.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

vijita wrote:
Neat!

I'm writing a YA novel. It's going very well, but I am reworking the ending and that is forking annoying. No pics or nothin', sorry!

Yay!!! <3 <3 <3

I am just about to type the final changes to end the second draft of my NaNo novel. It still needs a ton and I mean a ton of work, but I'm chipping away at it. The third draft is going to be grueling because I have to bulk up the manuscript again (I just slashed it down to ~one-third of what it was when I started) but I've got some ideas to start working with and let the bulking begin. I'm giving myself till the end of May to finish the third draft, but I've never done a novel before so really have no idea how long it will take overall (I'm thinking a couple of years total for me start to finish), but end of May for the next step seems reasonable at this point.

I also have a short story (speculative fiction) at the end stages almost ready to go out, just needs some polishing. Some other recent rejects I want to tighten up some more before sending out again. A novella idea that I've been thinking about for a couple of months in the very early stages, a few sample pages written and coming with random ideas on developing that. Mostly sci-fi/speculative stuff on the go and maybe a couple of non-fiction pieces here and there in draft form in the background that I can work on when I need a break from the other stuff but want to keep going with something.

Two very bad poems in progress--one a few months old that I can't seem to work out and one recent that I don't think I'll be able to work out, either. But they're there in case I get any ideas to fix them which can happen one week from now or ten years from now, who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:52 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've been drawing characters for the graphic novel I mentioned upthread, and last night I drew a firedancer that I'm pretty pleased with. I'm going to try inking her tonight both traditionally and digitally...we'll see how it goes. If I'm happy with what I come up with, I'll post it here.

At some point I'm thinking of getting a blog together to post this stuff and the drawings from my class (it starts in one week! Holy cats!) to chronicle my progress.

ETA: Just wanted to add that I'm enjoying seeing what all you other people are working on, keep posting!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

gato wrote:
ETA: Just wanted to add that I'm enjoying seeing what all you other people are working on, keep posting!

Yes! It inspires me and it probably inspires others, too. Also, I have no other place to talk about this stuff. My family is somewhat interested and likes to be kept apprised, but they don't really fully get the consuming passion for creative endeavors and why I or anyone would slave over something indefinitely where there's a strong possibility of no tangible compensation. They have a polite interest, more a they're-happy-because-I'm-happy type thing and while I really appreciate their support, it's nice to have somewhere else to share it with other creative-minded folks who really get it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yes! I appreciate hearing about things that aren't being made by the same 10 people I interact with on a daily basis.
also, I fired the pendants and all I have to do is patina the edges and photograph them on someone and I'll be donezo with that project!
I also editioned 6 2-layer prints in 1 hour yesterday so i am impressed with myself

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:07 pm 
Inflexitarian

I am planning to relearn a pro editing software program I used a few years ago, and also thinking about working on an editing project on the software I currently use and know well, but with no financial incentive. Procrastinating mightily on both as part of my process.

In the meantime I have taken on several clothing re-hab upcycling projects, some unfinished. The finished ones including dyeing a pair of my grandma's old gloves plus 2 sweaters, and 2 jackets, replacing jackets' buttons, and turning a pair of sturdy tights/leggings into a form fitting shrug.