| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice wanted: legs for bench
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:11 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I want to make a bench for my balcony, and since I just got my hands on a good pallet, I figure I will do it out of that. I saw this: http://teresamcfayden.typepad.com/minut ... -seat.html and thought to make something similar. The legs on that one are really pretty, but I want mine to be higher (about the normal height of a chair). The legs could look different than this too, I just have no clue how to go about to make some sturdy but nice legs for it. Any advice out there?

Post subject: Re: Advice wanted: legs for bench
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:35 pm 

Oh dear, this was meant to be in the Workshop.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:18 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like the legs are 4x4's which come in longer sizes (like for fence posts) so I'm guessing you could buy one peice of 4x4 fence post and get the hardware store to cut it into longer pieces (the height you want minus how long the fence post caps are) and then buy wooden fence post tops (like this one http://www.homedepot.com/Lumber-Composi ... reId=10051) to put on as feet. I hope that makes sense..

eta
that bench is very cute and I would like to make one too

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:32 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, those definitely look like just 4x4s and a those finials. That's a pretty nice use of those components, too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:38 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

great use of those finials!! those would seem to be finials for a deck or fence or something outdoor, so they mesh well with the big sizes. if 4x4 is too big you could use something smaller and then finials for an indoor staircase, for example.
that site, and especially the site that THEY link to, is awesome. that coffee table made with pallets, man, amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:52 am 

Ah, it's obviously finals! I'm not sure where I can get those here though, none of the potential stores seems to have them, only ones already stuck onto a pole, which are expensive. I'll try to figure it out.

What do you think about attaching them to the pallet in a sturdy way?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:30 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i was just thinking more about this and about whether an indoor stairway finial would be a good idea (might be too weak to support weight), and thought that maybe it might be better for you to go hunting to find semi-destroyed furniture and saw off the legs. we did that some years ago to make a kiddie table (found an old banger of a table and cut the legs down to kiddie height) and surely you could do the opposite- find an old destroyed table/couch/etc (needn't be a table as you only need the bottom few inches, really) and saw off the legs. Not sure if you have access to that type of thing but it might be a good way to use it.
As for attachment, it looks to me like they used wood glue, because i don't see any nail holes in the pic. If you had a nail gun, an angled nail would be the way to go, and you could cover up the hole with wood putty. If the legs are going to be high, i think you might have to nail it in somehow, i don't think glue would be strong enough (unless you have several different segments that you glue together with wood glue, which might work). I think if it were me with high legs i would cut a hole in the corner of the pallet, put the leg in there and nail it in sideways.