| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: West Country Peeps
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:21 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Halos wrote:
Yak Yeti Yak is great, the PPK have had meetups there before.

I'm pretty sure that one didn't happen, but they do have a vegan set menu including dessert. I wasn't expecting much from coconut rice pudding when I tried it, but I ended up loving it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So... when is everyone free? I'm working next weekend, but probably not the following one.

Shall we set a very provisional Saturday the 10th of March for this great meeting of minds?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:11 pm 

Just had a thought to go with this...

If a few of us want to meet up, does anyone want to arrange a food co-op? Possibly more of a long-term thing, but it might save on postage and we could bulk buy things potentially. I'm just saying because I'm about to buy a fuckton of nuts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:26 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

jojo wrote:
Halos wrote:
DO NOT EAT AT MISSION BURRITO IF YOU VALUE YOUR VEGANISM/MORALS. I have been in their kitchens.

Are you saying that they're careless about cross contamination? Or that their kitchens are dirty? Or that they outright lie about things being suitable for vegans? I've only been to the one in Reading but the staff there seemed very clued up about veganism & they do sponsor Bristol Veg Fest.

Different branches of the chain are better/worse, I've been in a few now, but the Bath one find vegetarians a waste of their time and find it amusing to 'spike' their food. They don't follow any kind of cross contamination guidelines on the counter (or many guidelines at all, they take the food temperatures but if the hot food is too cold they just leave it growing bacteria and ick), and they really do not like to change their gloves or clean the beef off the counter.
Some branches of the chain are great, don't get me wrong. Just the Bath branch is not. And the kitchens...Really incredibly unclean. Outside the kitchen there is a storage area usually stacked with mouldy lettuce. They're not great!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:55 pm 

The food safety aspect of this would bother me more than anything else. Anyway, I got food there once and found it unremarkable. Nothing I couldn't have thrown together myself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:14 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Gulliver wrote:
Just had a thought to go with this...

If a few of us want to meet up, does anyone want to arrange a food co-op? Possibly more of a long-term thing, but it might save on postage and we could bulk buy things potentially. I'm just saying because I'm about to buy a fuckton of nuts.

This sounds like a good idea, but where abouts would we get things from? I'm in serious need of organic bread flour (it's the only type my finicky dough will let me use) and I usually buy Shipton Mill because it's local and stocked in my HFS. But if there's a place I can get a ton of it nearby and it saves us on money, then i'm all up for that.

Gulliver wrote:

Shall we set a very provisional Saturday the 10th of March for this great meeting of minds?

More than happy for the 10th March. But I can make pretty much any time if this isn't good for everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:54 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Definitely up for that meet.
Also My Burrito in Bristol is run by a guy that worked in Mission in oxford and hated it so much he opened a better rival. Its delicious and they have vegan churros. And flavoured wraps!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:01 am 

Cool! What time and where?

There's a deli that does good vegan cakes but the name completely escapes me as usual, and it's a bit pokey. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:49 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Halos wrote:
Definitely up for that meet.
Also My Burrito in Bristol is run by a guy that worked in Mission in oxford and hated it so much he opened a better rival. Its delicious and they have vegan churros. And flavoured wraps!

Is that the place in Stokes Croft? If it is, I AM SO ANGRY I WALKED PAST IT NOW! I'm going to spend my life in Bristol, eating all their churros.

Gulliver wrote:
Cool! What time and where?

There's a deli that does good vegan cakes but the name completely escapes me as usual, and it's a bit pokey. Any suggestions?

So is there a preference for Bath or Bristol? Bath would be easiest, but I get the impression there's a bit more variety in Bristol. Or we could always grab a vegan pizza in the Bell! (Thanks for telling me about that Halos, i'll never leave that pub now).

The deli at the top of Milsom street? Harvest do some killer cakes, when they've got them in. I could easily eat coconut chocolate flapjack all day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:46 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I think we should have a mini meet in Bath and maybe make plans for a bigger trip to Bristol soon! I have to go to a talk from the Bath Literature festival at 2.45, you're welcome to come along but I think tickets are £8. Its called 'The Invention Of Murder' and it sounds quite good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:30 am 
Saggy Butt

It makes me sad that I'm not back in the UK yet when I read threads like this. I have lived in the devon since i was 16 and still know hardly a single soul (due to a horrid time at school) then no uni friends being from near me and now spending 4 years in slovakia. Back home in July though :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:33 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Let us know when you're back in the area and we should have a repeat! July gives us plenty of time to plan ahead and agree on things :) But i'm up for a meet anytime.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:40 am 

Ack! Work need me in to cover someone from 2-4 on Saturday!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:00 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Katya and I had a mini meet and both want to go to Bristol soon for an arc cafe visit, we want you guys to all come!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:20 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'd love to join in if you have meet ups in the future. Also, this thread has been super useful for me, as I'v only recently decided I'd like to be Vegan. I was hoping Scwartz Bros burgers were OK - they're awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:16 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

agent_44 wrote:
I'd love to join in if you have meet ups in the future. Also, this thread has been super useful for me, as I'v only recently decided I'd like to be Vegan. I was hoping Scwartz Bros burgers were OK - they're awesome!

Yay! Another vegan to add to the ranks. I'm around in Bath pretty much all of the time now (I have no life) and I think Halos is around a lot of the time too, so if you feel like meeting up for a bit, do let us know!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:10 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

It's been a while since it was mentioned, but are people still interested in a food co-op? I find myself needing to buy cashew nuts in more than the teeny weeny bags you get in H&B.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:25 pm 

Harvest sells cashews in bulk, surely?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:43 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Or the health food shop on moorland road?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:13 pm 

I'm definitely interested in a food co-op, and don't mind being the ordering person at all.

Tesco seems to be about the cheapest place to get cashews, though. You can get 800g for £5.99 in their "world food" section sometimes. Look for the "cheap world food for Asian people" section, not the "goji berries and expensive seaweed" section.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:01 pm 

Thread necromancy are GO!

I've just been to Yak Yeti Yak and it was okay but not brilliant. Lovely atmosphere, but there wasn't anything that leapt out on me on the menu so I more or less picked at random, and what I did have was only okay. My omnivorous boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed his, so maybe I just picked the wrong things. Oh, and the portions were very small.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:45 am 

The portions always *look* small in those deep bowls they use to serve them. I've never ended up wanting more food afterwards. I gather the food can be somewhat hit or miss, based on hearing a few people complain. Mine was always good though, and I'm fairly picky about restaurant food I think I could have pulled off better myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:11 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I've also always had excellent food at YYY and found the portions to be more than ample.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:23 am 

Yeah, I get the impression that I just picked a dud dish. It was cauliflower something, and while the cauliflower parts were beautifully spiced and perfectly cooked, the dish was 90% peas, which tasted like peas.

Literally every bowl but mine were the surprisingly deep ones, and my boyfriend kept commenting that his never seemed to end. I'll certainly give it a second chance!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:23 pm 

A dish consisting mainly of peas sounds like something I would definitely not enjoy eating!