| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Vancouver Island Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:38 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Nature! Best thing ever, barely exists here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:13 pm 
Chard Martyr

How many days will you have? I recommend (if you are renting a car) driving up to Qualicum Falls (and be sure to stop in Coombs...the weirdest town in Canada by my approximation). OR you can ferry to the gulf islands--I can recommend B&Bs on both Salt Spring and Pender. Or you can drive or take the bus all the way up to Tofino (presuming you have time!) which is just stunning. From Victoria, you can bus (or drive) out to Sooke/Jordan River (beaches! Lots of them!) and hike around the Sooke potholes. Information overload! There is so much to do. If you prefer to stay in Victoria there is good hiking at Goldstream Park, and even just wandering around Beacon Hill Park and along Dallas Road (off-leash dog run along the ocean! I like to go dog-watching).

If you want a really special nature experience and can afford it, a couple of weeks ago my boyfriend's sister had a wedding at Point No Point (which is, as it sounds, in the middle of nowhere on the water between Sooke and Jordan River) and we rented a cabin. It was unreal. No phones, TVs, service or anything. Just gazillions of trails and crashing waves.

I'll be living in Victoria in mid-May. Let's meet up! Sorry I'm just spouting out a million names of places that probably don't mean anything to you yet. I'm happy to clarify! I feel like I recommended pricier things. I have plenty ideas for on a budget too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:21 pm 

I love you enthusiasm! This week I should find out how many days I'll have - my guess is either 3 or 7. Point No Point sounds like my kind of place but I'm a grad student, so budget adventures are good (...better) to know about, too. The conference itself is 17-20 May, and I'd love to meet up while I'm there! Before the conference is probably better than during, but I might be able to swing something then, too.

If you'd like to take this somewhere more interactive (some kind of chat-place or Skype), let me know. Also, wow! Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

O.k. hopefully this counts, as it is still the Sunshine coast, and...the key word is "Powell River". Go! :) Also wanting to hear about Texada Island, if any of you all have knowledge to share. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:47 am 
Chard Martyr

Holy crepe you guys. There is a vegan tamale/taco cart in Parksville. http://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Vida-V ... 4006555235

Road trip! We always stop in Parksville to go mini-golfing on the way back from camping at Qualicum Falls. It excites me to no end that we can also pick up tamales.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:12 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

vijita,

I am interested in budget accomodation options in Victoria. It's only for one night so after reading this thread we might just do a regular hotel without breakfast and head over to Shine Cafe. If they say tofu under omelette, does that mean tofu omelettes are possible, or is it an egg-based omelette with tofu? I should just ask once there... We'll be on Vancouver Island early/mid June.
Also, yay, we can eat tamales upon returning from Hone Lake Caves!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:
Holy crepe you guys. There is a vegan tamale/taco cart in Parksville. http://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Vida-V ... 4006555235

Road trip! We always stop in Parksville to go mini-golfing on the way back from camping at Qualicum Falls. It excites me to no end that we can also pick up tamales.

!!!! That is like less than half an hour away from my house! We also go camping over there - (Rathtrevor, usually, but probably Qualicum Falls sometime soon, since I've never gone and my partner likes it!) We are totally going through Parksville on the long weekend on our way to go camping up by Campbell River... I wonder if it will be open? Thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:46 am 
Chard Martyr

Qualicum falls is amazing! Reserve a site in advance and get one by the lower falls! My favourite camping site ever is right by the lower bridge. Just don't steal it when we go. :)

m.iau, if you want really budget, you could stay at the Ocean Island Backpackers Inn. I've stayed there heaps of time on the occasions where I didn't live in the city but was taking a course/had other stuff to do. It's a block from Shine Cafe. I usually get a private room, which is very barebones, just a bed and a window/mini-fridge with shared bathrooms, but the private rooms are on the third and fourth floors so they are quiet, and clean. http://oceanisland.com/

If you want something with more amenities, I've stayed at both Paul's Motor Inn and the Travelodge on Douglas. They are motels (Travelodge is slightly nicer/more of a hotel/has a pool), but they are clean and I've never had any complaints. They're not that much more expensive than the hostel, and are both very close to Shine. You could also consider Mo:Le for breakfast. These places are all within blocks of each other.

I've never stayed anywhere in Vic above that price bracket except for B&Bs, which are a nice treat, but not budget!

They don't do tofu omelettes, unfortunately. Just the vegan multi-item breakfast option, but it is really good.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:45 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Go to Mo:Le, get the yam wrap. Oh man the yam wrap. Sigh.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Is there anything worth knowing about vegan-wise in Campbell River? I've never been, but as I mentioned in my last post, I'll be there for a weekend two weeks from now.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:54 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

vijita wrote:
Qualicum falls is amazing! Reserve a site in advance and get one by the lower falls! My favourite camping site ever is right by the lower bridge. Just don't steal it when we go. :)

m.iau, if you want really budget, you could stay at the Ocean Island Backpackers Inn. I've stayed there heaps of time on the occasions where I didn't live in the city but was taking a course/had other stuff to do. It's a block from Shine Cafe. I usually get a private room, which is very barebones, just a bed and a window/mini-fridge with shared bathrooms, but the private rooms are on the third and fourth floors so they are quiet, and clean. http://oceanisland.com/

If you want something with more amenities, I've stayed at both Paul's Motor Inn and the Travelodge on Douglas. They are motels (Travelodge is slightly nicer/more of a hotel/has a pool), but they are clean and I've never had any complaints. They're not that much more expensive than the hostel, and are both very close to Shine. You could also consider Mo:Le for breakfast. These places are all within blocks of each other.

I've never stayed anywhere in Vic above that price bracket except for B&Bs, which are a nice treat, but not budget!

They don't do tofu omelettes, unfortunately. Just the vegan multi-item breakfast option, but it is really good.

Thank you! We chose a travelodge. I can live without the tofu omelette if I can have the other brunch options. Maybe yam wraps for later, I'll check out Mo:Le.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
So I am in Victoria till Wednesday, where should I eat? I already broke my fast at Cabin 12 today

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:27 pm 

also I was drafted to play drums for an old band I have toured with before tonight since drummers are flaky and their drummer cant get off work for their 10 year anniversary

so if anyone is looking for fun in Victoria tonight, Ill be at Logans Pub fighting the rust of songs from 6 years ago

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:00 am 
Chard Martyr

Welcome! Do you want to hang out on Tuesday? Lunch maybe? You should also come to the cidery where I work! PM me for deets.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:13 am 
Chard Martyr

Oh and you should probably have brunch/lunch at Mo:Le. If you go to Lotus Pond (vegan Buddhist cuisine) from 2pm till three, it's 50% off. I mention this because as you've surely noticed, food is insanely expensive up here. Skip Green Cuisine. Recommended: Cafe Ceylon, Sen Zushi, Rebar (kind of overpriced and touristy but I still love it), the Blue Nile (great Ethiopian buffet with at least 50% vegan stuff), Le Petit Saigon, Pink Bicycle, Shine Cafe, etc. Spinnakers is a fun brew pub even though they don't have many vegan food items. The Mint is good for late-night. The joint for pizza/calzones. Solstice cafe for coffee and good vegan baked goods/soups/sandwiches.

Ummm...there's more.

Hernande'z is great too, but you live in Southern California so you didn't come to Canada for Mexican food. If you have the time/desire, get inked at Tattoo Zoo with vegan inks by Sarah Kramer's husband Gerry. He's amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:53 am 

Hey, to be fair, Hernande'z is Ecquadorian food!

And I second Pink Bicycle, Lotus Pond and Mo:Le. They are the places I miss most. Oh and a calzone at the Joint of course!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:02 am 
Chard Martyr

Actually, I thought they were Salvadorian?

(Whichever way you spin it, the restaurant is in a mall, the service is spotty, and though the food is okay...I don't really go back again and again).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:26 am 

Damn it, you're right! I got the E of El Salvador and the E of Ecquador confused in my head.

And I love their food, but I would say there are definite musts before Hernande'z.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:04 pm 

Hit up The Joint for a Spinach, Mushroom, Jalapeno, Broccoli, Daiya calzone today. It was pretty great. Also fired away one of their vegan brownies too. Cakey but good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:46 pm 

Sadly, that brownie is probably the best in Victoria. Victoria has still not really figured out the vegan brownie. The one at Solstice is okay but craaaazy sweet.

And if you find yourself returning to the Joint try getting peanut sauce on your calzone. The combo of Daiya + peanut sauce sounds kind of barftastic but it's amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:11 am 
Chard Martyr

Those peanut butter chocolate chip vegan cookies at the Joint are THE BEST.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:04 am 

Hey everyone! I'm going to be in Victoria from May 29th-July 2nd for Moksha Yoga teacher training. I'm going to be pretty busy from June 1st -30th, with only three days off from training during that time span. But I'd love to check out some good Victoria eats on the days I have off :). I looked on Happy Cow - what are people's thoughts on Cafe Bliss? Thanks guys :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:49 pm 
Chard Martyr

Cafe Bliss is expensive, but if you're into raw food, it's good stuff. It's also steps from Moksha (like, beside it), as you probably know! Also super nearby are Mo:Le (amazing vegan Caesar salad), Green Cuisine (meh vegan buffet but relatively inexpensive), Lotus Pond (vegan Chinese--the buffet is cheapish), Solstice Cafe (across the street from Moksha...their soups are always vegan and they have vegan muffins and other baked goods). Have fun! I did YTT several years ago and loved it (not at Moksha, but Moksha is a beautiful space!).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:21 pm 

V--I think you're thinking of Moksana. Moksha is at Fort and Cook.

VeganMeredith, if you go to Lotus Pond at precisely 2:30 the buffet is half-price. There will probably be a long line up and you may lose your faith in humanity, but you will also get a massive plate of food for about $5!

And you're still downtown, so everything is about a 10 minute walk away. You can also get calzones at the Joint! (Oh how I miss calzones). And treat yourself to a gourmet burger at the Pink Bicycle.

And there's a cafe just around the corner from Moksha that has lovely coffee and a couple of vegan treats plus they bake their own bread. And I think there's a taco place in Cook St Village.

Man, I am really aching for Victoria, now! Clearly I need to come visit sometime soon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

j-dub wrote:
V--I think you're thinking of Moksana. Moksha is at Fort and Cook.

Oh yeah! I totally was. Oops.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next