| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Norway, Vienna, Prague, and Budapest
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:35 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hi, I am travelling to Bergen, Norway for three weeks and was wondering if anyone had any advice/information. From there I will make a quick tour of the aforementioned cities and possibly Bratislava. Again, if anyone has anything to say about these places please let me know.

I have been told there is a decent health food store in Bergen that carries several vegan things and I am packing a bunch of emergency food in my suitcase.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Norway, Vienna, Prague, and Budapest
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:17 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

There's some good stuff about Vienna, Prague, Budapest & Bratislava in this thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17234&hilit=Prague

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:15 am 
Saggy Butt

There's some pretty good vegan plces to eat in Budapest. This being one of them:
http://www.napfenyesetterem.hu/english

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:02 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

hannahkate wrote:
There's some pretty good vegan plces to eat in Budapest. This being one of them:
http://www.napfenyesetterem.hu/english

Yes! I wrote about that place in the blogpost I linked to in the other thread. I loved it there, they had the most amazing cakes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been to Bergen, and I'm glad your bringing emergency food - and hoping you'll find that health food store.
I got the impression that Bergen was rather not-so-vegan-friendly, especially eating out. (Luckily I have friends there who cooked for me!)
There's great vegan chocolate spread and oat cookies available there, though!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:36 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've been to Bergen quite a few times but only for a few hours at a time so I've never really explored the vegan options. However it is hugely expensive. About 3 years ago it was £4 for a loaf of bread in a bakery.

Also the fish market has some pretty gruesome things for sale including whale meat & seal skins so don't walk round there unless you can cope with seeing that kind of thing.

On a more positive note it is a beautiful city & Norway is a very interesting country. Had lots of lovely wildlife encounters including otters, grey & ringed seals & white tailed eagle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 am 
Saggy Butt

jojo wrote:
Yes! I wrote about that place in the blogpost I linked to in the other thread. I loved it there, they had the most amazing cakes.

I'm (hopefully) going there in a few weeks time and I'm actually ridiculously excited about being able to go eat here. Where I live (Kosice, Slovakia) has a grand total of 1 vegetarian restaurant and that's it. Veggies live on deep fried cheese and I don't think anyone knows vegans even exist!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:36 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thank you for all of your help. I'm in Bergen now and there is a store that has an ample supply of vegan food. Other than that I am relying on my suitcase. I am looking forward to eating at some of the places that have been listed in all of these posts.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:41 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm not familiar with Norway or Vienna, but I currently live in Budapest. The "Hummus Bar"s are geared up for vegans. Half of these are purely vegetarian, the others also serve meat. The vegetarians ones will understand what you mean by "Vegan". The three Govinda restaurants have a vegan selection and the staff speak english.

There are also a couple of bio-stores where you can buy vegan products - "Lé Bár" near the museum and "Napos Oldal" on Jokai Ut, near the Oktogon.
You can find a list of these places here www.strudeldoo.com/vegetarian-restaurants-list/Budapest

Bratislava also has a Govinda, a great little place called "Veggie" in the centre of the old town and a fairly new place "Lucy's Vegan Food", near the bus station.