| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Babysteps Progress Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:08 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't think anyone else was posting in my thread, but maybe they will here!

I've been doing the Jillian Michaels iFit Wellness card program on my elliptical. I'm on week 3 now! Trying to get my back in shape so it doesn't hurt to walk, move, exist, blah blah. So far so good.

I've also lost 7.6 lbs of the weight I gained since my Surgery in April. I have to lost another ~15 to be back where I was before both of my back surgeries, and then it will be like Christmas shopping in my closet with cool clothes to wear again.

Supposedly, I am following the WW online program, but in reality so far I am only exercising and not eating cookies. I am probably not eating enough though, so I resolve to start keeping track. I might buy some Vega protein powder for 2 weeks. That stuff is scary expensive though.

Post subject: Re: Babysteps Progress Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:21 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

If you're looking for protein powder, trueprotein.com is awesome (as frequently recommended by vegimator). Vega is stupidly expensive. You can get a pound of 70% pea/30% rice protein for $5.21 from True Protein. They also have hemp and soy if you want to play around with other mixes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:30 am 
Discovered unobtainium

The main reason I was thinking of the Vega for a couple weeks is the added vitamin/mineral content that none of the others have. I can't take my iron right now, for one thing, and I've been eating badly. I have trouble absorbing from food, so sometimes shakes are better for me. It is stupidly expensive though, which is why Im hesitating. I can't really easily afford it right now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:09 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I take Vega. It's crazy expensive, but worth every penny as far as I'm concerned. I haven't been eating all that well lately, so I kind of depend on it sometimes. I take 1 scoop every day instead of 2 so it lasts twice as long.

edit: If you take 1 scoop instead of 2, blend it with kale and other nutrient-dense food so it brings you closer to your vitamin & mineral RDA.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I got a jar of something at The Vitamin Shoppe today that seems sort of similar to Vega, but it was $37 for 17 servings. I'll give it a try with some soymilk and a banana.

Today's ifit workout almost killed me. Mon/Tues was varying speed and higher resistance, but today was higher speed than yesterday maintained for the entire 20 minutes, but resistance swapped from 1-4 instead of 2-6. Yikes. I'm a little sore so I will have to go easy tomorrow. I've been trying to get my speed up and push myself and have been able to hover around 2.0mph.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Baby steps indeed. Lava I sent you the Dr. Oz dvd today. Good luck with it!

I use Whole Foods Organic Vanilla Soy Protein Powder, I think it's like 16 bucks for the big container.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks Gracia!

The shake mix I got is not bad at all. http://www.gardenoflife.com/Productsfor ... fault.aspx

It takes a little gritty and nutty, but it is reasonably tasty blended with soy milk, a banana and some ice. Definitely better than expected. It was $37 for 2 weeks, but it has a decent nutritional profile so will hopefully help me get back on track and not lose ground with the anemia while I can't take my iron.

Today I was able to do my workout much easier than yesterday. I kept at 2.0mph steady for the entire 20 minutes. Yesterday I had a lot of trouble and was so tired at the end, but today felt easy. I think I paced myself much better and was more prepared for the resistance changes. I definitely am improving! I kept going after the program ended and kept up the same speed for another .25 miles which is the most total distance I've ever done in a day.

And my size 6 skinny jeans fit if I don't plan to actually wear them anywhere, so they should be wearable in another week or two! I'm excited. They haven't fit in quite a while--really not since before my first back surgery.

Mostly, I am just so incredibly proud of myself for sticking with the elliptical. I'm almost finished with week 3 of the ifit program. Given my history with exercise, this is pretty huge!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay! Good for you!

Wow, size 6.....have I ever been a size 6? Maybe when I was 6! Ha

Ugh, exercise, how I hate you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

GraciaKai wrote:
Yay! Good for you!

I was shocked that I ever got that small after my gastric bypass (I started out at a 26/28). I thought that I had settled at that size and then I dropped another 6 lbs and was size 4 for over 2 years until my back surgeries. I always thought I had "big bones." Turns out I have broad shoulders and hips, but actually a small build. One of the nice things about gastric bypass is if you do everything right afterwards, your body tends to settle out at the weight that it wants to be, so I stopped losing weight naturally at 126 lbs and it was pretty easy to maintain until all the other crepe started. So no matter what, now I know not to try to force losing weight beyond 125-130lbs. It takes a lot of stress off with unreasonable goals.

It really isn't the size so much as finding where your body really wants to be. I have a friend who is the same height (5'7) and a size 10 and she looks so great and perfectly proportioned, but when I gained weight after my surgeries and was back at an 8/10, I was starting to look dumpy because it all stuck to my middle.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
Yay! Good for you!

I was shocked that I ever got that small after my gastric bypass (I started out at a 26/28). I thought that I had settled at that size and then I dropped another 6 lbs and was size 4 for over 2 years until my back surgeries. I always thought I had "big bones." Turns out I have broad shoulders and hips, but actually a small build. One of the nice things about gastric bypass is if you do everything right afterwards, your body tends to settle out at the weight that it wants to be, so I stopped losing weight naturally at 126 lbs and it was pretty easy to maintain until all the other crepe started. So no matter what, now I know not to try to force losing weight beyond 125-130lbs. It takes a lot of stress off with unreasonable goals.

It really isn't the size so much as finding where your body really wants to be. I have a friend who is the same height (5'7) and a size 10 and she looks so great and perfectly proportioned, but when I gained weight after my surgeries and was back at an 8/10, I was starting to look dumpy because it all stuck to my middle.

I just want to be somewhere between an 8 and a 12. That seems reasonable to me. I am 5'2, but well proportioned. Even at my heaviest when I was a size 24 I didn't look it. I carry weight all over so I'm not huge in one area and then smaller everywhere else.

I don't know what my natural weight is yet. But hopefully I will find it soon. And one day I plan on having enough money to chop off all the extra body I no longer want or need. My flabby arms need to go!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

GraciaKai wrote:
I don't know what my natural weight is yet. But hopefully I will find it soon. And one day I plan on having enough money to chop off all the extra body I no longer want or need. My flabby arms need to go!

i'm an inch taller than you and i think i finally found my natural weight. i haven't gained or lost (within that 2 lb/day fluxuation) in over a year. so i hold steady at around 130. but! that's me not exercising at all. i wait tables for a living, so i'm fairly active with that, i suppose.

anyway, i recently joined my local ymca (which i mentioned on the old boards) and have been exercising 3-5 times a week (treadmill at 3.5-4 mph, eliptical, or lap swimming) with pilates and/or yoga on my off days. i've managed to actually gain a few pounds, but i'm hoping that's just muscle. i'm not trying to lose weight, really, but i would like to tone up a bit. the closer i get to 30, the flabbier i become. also, i'm learning that i can't weigh myself every day. i used to when i was younger and it would just fork up my whole day. apparently that still holds true. so i'm only going to weigh myself once or twice a month and judge my progress by how my clothes bit and whatnot.

anywho, i'm all about baby steps.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:37 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

my recent baby steps: week 4 of jess hates the gym but is going 3-4 times a week to get into the habit. my goal is to increase my energy levels while living a busy life.

2 weeks ago, began lifting weights. I primarily use them consistently while biking (have gone from 5, 10, 15, to 20 minute cycles).

I'm awaiting a couple yoga dvds from the library. I've always found it so boring, so we'll see. I don't think I could handle being at the gym so long if it wasn't for the cable tv (which I don't have at home).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:54 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Re: flabby arms

Just embrace them. Sure, if I could afford it, I'd have a full lower body lift and my arms done. I was lucky with skin issues ( really lucky compared to many ) , but you don't lose that much weight without loose skin. I spent the first summer being paranoid about my arms and then realized that life is too short and there will always be something and I didn't go through losing all that weight to stay on the hamster wheel of self hate.

I avoid cap sleeves that call attention to the area and prefer halters that draw attention to my shoulders and collarbone ( good areas), but I'm going to wear what the fork I what, screw any extra flabby arm skin.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
Re: flabby arms

Just embrace them. Sure, if I could afford it, I'd have a full lower body lift and my arms done. I was lucky with skin issues ( really lucky compared to many ) , but you don't lose that much weight without loose skin. I spent the first summer being paranoid about my arms and then realized that life is too short and there will always be something and I didn't go through losing all that weight to stay on the hamster wheel of self hate.

I avoid cap sleeves that call attention to the area and prefer halters that draw attention to my shoulders and collarbone ( good areas), but I'm going to wear what the fork I what, screw any extra flabby arm skin.

Haha, I wish I was at the point of embracing my flab. Since I am not yet done with my weight loss, I keep thinking that it will get better. My arms are def the worst area so far. But I am going really slow with my weight loss so hopefully it won't be horrible. I have seen shows on tv where people have lost tons of weight and then are left with hanging skin. That would make me soooooo sad! Probably to the point where I would finance an operation. Or start whoring myself for money. :)

I actually get really sad when I think about how much damage I have done to my body over the years. I don't dwell on it, and I know that it can be fixed for the most part. But still! It makes me want to smack my forehead over and over going STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:21 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Okay, I'm officially posting here. I've been doing 35 minutes a day on the elliptical, which is a lot for me. 1/3 of it I do slow with a lot of resistance. I am planning on weight lifting, but am trying to read more on technique as to not injure myself when starting out.

I currently weigh around 125 lbs. and am 5'2". My goal weight is around 105 and would like to drop to a size 2. (I wear a size 4 [although snug] now.) I also would like to make my boobs smaller (probably not going to happen, I'm a D), lose weight around my middle and make my legs and asparagus bigger. I don't have a goal time set for this because I don't want to pressure myself.

Any advice?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:45 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Last week and the week before, I managed to work out 4 days each week, either running or on the elliptical. This week, I have worked out every day so far until today, but I am so not tired (and my elliptical is not going anywhere), so I will probably make it happen.

All of this is very good for me, because I've been incredibly lazy about working out lately, and this is one reason why I've gained a lot of weight in the past couple of years. I go through this business of losing weight and then gaining it back every few years (typically through a combination of laziness and recurring binge eating issues), and I would love to be able to lose the ridiculous amount of weight I need to lose to be back in my comfort zone for good this time. For now, I am trying to work my way up to getting at least some exercise every day (or almost every day) and making it a habit. Eventually, I will probably have to add some weight lifting - I have a weight bench and a very limited selection of dumbbells and weight bars - but for now, it's time to ease my way back into good habits.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:55 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

allularpunk wrote:
also, i'm learning that i can't weigh myself every day. i used to when i was younger and it would just fork up my whole day.

I'm just the opposite. I have a hard time staying on track and either losing or maintaining my weight (depending on what part of my every-few-year yo-yo cycle I'm on) without daily (or at least every other day) visits to the scale. The first time always bugs me, and it takes time for me to distinguish "real" weight gain from natural fluctuations due to water weight or PMS, but without my scale, I become too complacent and the next thing I know, all my clothes are cutting off my circulation.

(This is not something I'm recommending to anyone...this is just what experience has taught me I have to do to keep on track.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

amethyst wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
also, i'm learning that i can't weigh myself every day. i used to when i was younger and it would just fork up my whole day.

I'm just the opposite. I have a hard time staying on track and either losing or maintaining my weight (depending on what part of my every-few-year yo-yo cycle I'm on) without daily (or at least every other day) visits to the scale. The first time always bugs me, and it takes time for me to distinguish "real" weight gain from natural fluctuations due to water weight or PMS, but without my scale, I become too complacent and the next thing I know, all my clothes are cutting off my circulation.

(This is not something I'm recommending to anyone...this is just what experience has taught me I have to do to keep on track.)

it's still making me crazy, so i've sworn it off. i just try to eat a balanced diet, and that's what i focus on.

anywho, my gym progress for the week! lets see... i did cardio (treadmill and elliptical for 50 minutes) 3 days this week, plus i'm going tomorrow (i hope). also did pilates and yoga thursday night and then yoga again this morning. i really want to do yoga every day and really need to look into getting a video that isn't boring. i'm starting to be able to do the balancing poses, yay! also, i feel slightly firmer, i think, but that could be my imagination.

a side note to finally learning to be active: i get to wear those damned comfy yoga pants all the time. score! (yes, i did wear them to work today. what.)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:30 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I know I need to do SOMETHING, but it's hard when I feel tired from work.

Step one: Only make desserts for myself once a week. I just don't need brownies or cookies or whatever more than that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:21 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

We were finally able to replace our broken elliptical machine with a spin bike! I'm so excited to FINALLY get back into exercise! I need to remember not to overdue it when I exercise today.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

I walked really, really slowly for 7.5 minutes yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

paperweight wrote:
I walked really, really slowly for 7.5 minutes yesterday.

That would do me in.

Today was the official end of week 3 of my elliptical program. Tomorrow I will start week 4. It is an 8 week Jillian Michaels ifit card, so I'm almost halfway! I don't think I lost any weight this week though, which hardly seems possible. I've been working out and not eating much other than two small healthy meals and the protein shake with a banana in the morning.

I need my skinny jeans to fit by the 10th. Boo. Also, it would be nice for more of my underwear to start fitting again. Although I did finally succumb and got the 5 for $25 deal at VS, I have a big drawer full of nice stuff.

I feel better though. I don't think I fully appreciated how awful I felt with the weight I gained after surgery.

After week 4, Im going to add in an exercise DVD.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I totally flaked on working out last week. But I went away this weekend to the Poconos and did a great deal of walking through the woods.

This week I plan to workout at least 3 times! Not sure what I'll be doing....but I'll be doing something.

Now if only this sore throat and snot nose would go away!

Thinking maybe we should post before, during, and after pics to stay motivated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:58 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I hula-hooped on the Wii for a while yesterday. It got me out of breath, so I hope that's a good sign.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

Today I bought a special calendar and star stickers and I'm putting a star for every day I work out. I'm usually pretty good about working out 5-6 days a week but sometimes I get busy and I'll go 4 days without doing anything.