| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Jersey! - Only the Strong Survive
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:09 pm 
Semen Strong

True North Osteria in Montclair has Italian and brunch options!
http://www.truenorthosteria.com/

Also, Go Lightly just revamped their all vegan and raw menu and its supposed to be amazing. Excited to check it out in the next week or so!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:38 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

if anyone likes to go to pizza fusion, they have a livingsocial deal today.

ridgewood (NYC) NJ- $10 for $20 worth of organic pizza at Pizza Fusion http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/21691 ... ui=9812215

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:45 pm 
protein lump

merged.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:07 pm 
Semen Strong

I have excellent news to share! True North Osteria is keeping Daiya cheese on the menu as a premium topping! You can take a look at their menu here: http://www.truenorthosteria.com/

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Post subject: Re: Jersey?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

bigmeeeech wrote:
OH wow, Um spring lake heights!

no way! i'm originally from Belmar/Spring Lake!

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:23 pm 
Semen Strong

Tofulish wrote:
I'm really sad to say that Rutherford Pancake House's vegan offerings are starting to decline. Their vegan and GF pancakes and waffles are still good (with the caveat that you tell them to bring the waffles out as soon as they are done otherwise they end up really soggy). And its nice to be able to get coffee and soymilk at a mainstream restaurant. The other warning is that apparently the GF pizza base isn't vegan, but even if you're ordering vegan cheese and vegan sausage on it, no one thinks to to let you know about that.

For me the real sad part is that the scrambles are really disappointing now. Sadly the kitchen has changed the recipe (it took too long to press the tofu using the old method Spiro created so its gone from a big helping of flavorpacked tofu to a few limp cubes of tofu). Honestly, the food tastes like no one cares anymore. The Popeye is a few cubes of tofu with a couple of spoons of spinach thrown on top and then finished with avocados that taste like they were previously frozen. The Roman is a few cubes of tofu and vegan sausage and peppers that are oily and not carmelized. It tastes like someone made it ahead of time and microwaved it. The toast is no longer crunchy and crispy, but is lukewarm and flaccid. And the portions are much smaller. At $9.99, its not much of a bargain. Its gone from a filling and hearty breakfast treat to a place I suggest if I am short on other options. And they just replaced their yummy Gimme Lean sausage patties with links that taste like compressed sawdust. And the added 4 links will set you back $3.75.

I still love Spiro, the chef, but Rick, who runs the front of the house can be a jerk. At one point he refused to seat a large group of us until one of their two big tables opened up (instead of putting a few smaller ones together) because "You vegans sit here and take up my space for too long." Even though the restaurant wasn't busy. Thanks jerk. I am so disappointed, because I loved this place and we went there at least 1x a week and because it was so good to have a vegan diner for great weekend breakfasts with people.

Bitter update: It kind of sucks to have a $2 surcharge on a waffle just because it is vegan. Makes you feel like someone is saying - charge them out the wazoo, its not like they have other options. ‎$4.99 non-vegan, $6.99 vegan. I mean sure, it includes vegan margarine but really $2?

They market themselves as superveg friendly too. Grrrr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

augh. bummed that i didn't go eat there more when they were good :(

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:51 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hi!
I am in Bradley Beach!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:55 pm 
Semen Strong

Anyone want to do a NJ meet-up? We have a bunch of people from the lovely Garden State these days!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:57 am 
Naked Under Apron

I'll probably be in NJ the week of March 4-10.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:15 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

i might be interested if it weren't too far away. i'm not much for driving these days.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:51 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Anyone want to meet up sometime next week? I'm craving some Ethiopian food, but I'd be up for other suggestions, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:52 pm 
Semen Strong

My knees have been really iffy, but I am hardcore craving Ethiopian.... Lalibela or Mesob?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I might be able to make it if it is Lalibela, and ok if I bring Kai. He ate there in Dec. & liked it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:00 pm 
Semen Strong

I love Lalibela, and I'd love to meet Kai and see you again!

I am assuming that you work in the city M-F and that Larisa is around only from 3/4-3/10, so should we plan on 3/9 (I can't do 3/10)? But really any day but 3/10 works for me at this point, barring lots of PT and MD appts that are still to be set up for my knees.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

id be up for it depending on where. I can only do cheat meals on saturday nights tho....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:24 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Lalibela in South Orange? That's a little far for me, but I could do it. Pretty much any day/time except Friday lunch would work for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:46 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can do Friday at 6pm. Would that work?

Also, anybody going to the St. Patty's day parade in Belmar this Sunday?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:18 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Friday at 6 would work for me. I might bring some hamentaschen. (I want to have some on Thursday for Purim, but making them would mean making a whole batch, and my mom doesn't want a whole batch of cookies in the house, so I can make them if I'm going to eat a few myself and then bring them elsewhere.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:37 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela seems to be in a pattern of deep presleep crankiness starting at 6pm, so dinner isn't going to work for me sadly. I envy you guys though - Lalibela is my absolute favorite place to eat right now.

I might just have to take myself to lunch there this week now....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:19 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Lunch would probably be easier than dinner for me -- it seems like my mom wants me home for Shabbos dinner on Friday night (this isn't a "you must stay home" thing, but it seems like she'd appreciate it), and I don't really know South Orange too well, so it would probably be easier for me to find the restaurant in the daytime.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:30 pm 
Semen Strong

I'd be up for lunch, but again, I have to bring my kidlet :) I am out of pocket Monday thru Wednesday but around Thurs and Friday....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:04 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Tofulish wrote:
I'd be up for lunch, but again, I have to bring my kidlet :) I am out of pocket Monday thru Wednesday but around Thurs and Friday....

Thursday would work for me. (My Friday schedule is kind of all over the place right now. I have no idea what's going on with anything. But I know that I've got nothing scheduled Thursday.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I totally understand about the 6pm crankiness tofulish. That is actually when Kai just about starts his too, so we were really cutting it close. I don't get home from work until 5:25 though, so that's the earliest we could make it. So if you guys go for lunch instead, no biggie. Have fun! One of these days we'll meet up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:45 pm 
Semen Strong

I have bronchitis, so I am out for lunch too, sadly, so I guess dinner Friday could still be on for you both?

Seriously I love Lalibela so much, and I need to get back for some pumpkin curry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next