| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 165  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

flavabean wrote:
She also posted a picture of a woman who had a beautiful tattoo that stretched over a lot of her stomach area and rib cage, and she wrote an oh-so-helpful PSA saying that "girls" are stupid for wanting tattoos because they're going to get pregnant. Or fat. And then they'll be ugly. And then everyone will laugh at them. Or something.

This bit would cause me to respond. I avoid talking about weight on facebook and it's very difficult. However, when people bring tattoos into it, I get really pissy and all bets are off.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Bella Luna wrote:
Patricia Heaton

She is horrible!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:00 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Tofulish wrote:
Bella Luna wrote:
Patricia Heaton

She is horrible!

Definitely. She went on to retract her statements on her Twitter account--there was more than one. She said that she did not agree with Sandra Fluke, but that attacking her was not "acting in Christ's image" or "showing God's grace" or some crazy shiitake like that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:16 pm 
Dead by dawn

Bella Luna wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Bella Luna wrote:
Patricia Heaton

She is horrible!

Definitely. She went on to retract her statements on her Twitter account--there was more than one. She said that she did not agree with Sandra Fluke, but that attacking her was not "acting in Christ's image" or "showing God's grace" or some crazy shiitake like that.

So like, "I still think you're a slut but I shouldn't say it 'cause of God." Nice. Especially, you know, after you've said it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:43 am 
Bathes in Braggs

It is beyond me when I hear women participating in the slut-shaming like this. I seriously have no idea what to say when things like this happen.

I feel the same way when I see pictures in the news of women getting shaking hands and getting autographs from candidates like Sanctorum. Seriously, he's taking right away from you. He sees you as a second-class citizen, and you're ok with that?!

(I know THEY don't see it as losing rights, since they don't believe in whatever us immoral floozies are doing. But don't they see that there are so many other women in the world who deserve a choice in the matter, just as they chose their beliefs and actions?)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:17 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Bella Luna wrote:
Patricia Heaton:
Oh, so some has-been TV actress has seen fit to weigh in. I'm sure the up and coming law student who's fielding phone calls from major news organizations (and Barack Obama) will be crushed.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:48 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yeah, who gives a shiitake about Patricia Heaton anyway? Oh, look at me, I was on some dumb asparagus teevee show with Ray Romano. It was the worst and I am the worst. Read my twitter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:35 am 
Lime and a Coconut

paprikapapaya wrote:
Yeah, who gives a shiitake about Patricia Heaton anyway? Oh, look at me, I was on some dumb asparagus teevee show with Ray Romano. It was the worst and I am the worst. Read my twitter.

Ha! Best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:11 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
Ha! Best.
Exactly. The fact that she refers to her "followers" (?!) as "Tweatons" just makes the whole thing that much sadder.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:56 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Bella Luna wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Bella Luna wrote:
Patricia Heaton

She is horrible!

Did she really apologize? I read that she just cancelled her Twitter account because of the backlash without commenting. What a bisque.

http://www.eonline.com/news/patricia_he ... ter/298662

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:33 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

[quote=some idiot on Tumblr]If you’ve never got a dude to pay for something for you and you’re a female, you should just turn in your vagina[/quote]

How about no?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
Ha! Best.
Exactly. The fact that she refers to her "followers" (?!) as "Tweatons" just makes the whole thing that much sadder.

I didn't even get that until you pointed it out. I read that thinking it had something to do with Wil Wheaton (but spelled wrong) and was like, I don't think he'd be down with that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:25 pm 
Huffs Nooch

[/quote] Did she really apologize? I read that she just cancelled her Twitter account because of the backlash without commenting. What a bisque. [/quote]

Yeah, I visited her Twitter page before she shut it down, and she apologized a few times. All of her apologies were some variation of "mea culpa! I don't agree with her, but as a Christian, I shouldn't have said that." Bleh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Kim Novak

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Kim Novak is clarifying why she used the word "rape" to describe how she felt about "The Artist."
The 79-year-old "Vertigo" actress, said during a phone interview Monday that hearing the score from the Alfred Hitchcock film used in the recent Oscar-winning homage to the silent-film era reminded her of the same feelings she experienced when she was raped as a child. "It was very painful," said Novak. "When I said it was like a rape, that was how it felt to me. I had experienced in my youth being raped, and so I identified with a real act that had been done to me. I didn't use that word lightly. I had been raped as a child. It was a rape I never told about, so when I experienced this one, I felt the need to express it."

Novak, who played the dual role of both a suicidal trophy wife and a morose working girl opposite Jimmy Stewart in the 1958 thriller, said in a statement released in January by her manager that she "wanted to report a rape" and that the filmmakers of "The Artist" had no reason "to depend on Bernard Herrmann's score from 'Vertigo' to provide more drama." "I never reported my real rape, so I felt the need to report this one," said Novak, who left Hollywood in the 1970s for Big Sur, an isolated section of California coastline, before eventually relocating to Oregon. "I felt that someone needed to speak up because the music has been taken advantage of too much. I hope that in the future, maybe somehow it will do some good."

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:28 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Anti-Choice women challenge my feminism. My coworker and boss are hardcore anti-choice, both right wingers from the sound of it. I want to support women, but I just can't be on their team. Their stance just confuses me.
I seriously just want to scream right now.

Can you be a feminist and anti-choice?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Kinney wrote:
Anti-Choice women challenge my feminism. My coworker and boss are hardcore anti-choice, both right wingers from the sound of it. I want to support women, but I just can't be on their team. Their stance just confuses me.
I seriously just want to scream right now.

I don't think so. Feminism is a movement to end the oppression of women. State-mandated birth sounds pretty oppressive to me.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:45 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Kinney wrote:

No.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:51 pm 

j-dub wrote:
Kinney wrote:

No.

I've called my coworker "anti-women". She got pretty upset about that. I'd like to say I didn't mean it, but I did.

She probably knows I write on here. She likes to stalk people on the interwebs and then secretly hold grudges against them. It's kinda creepy, but also funny.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:21 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

j-dub wrote:
Kinney wrote:

No.

Truth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:00 pm 
Naked Under Apron

jordanpattern wrote:
j-dub wrote:
Kinney wrote:

No.

Truth.

This, it belongs in the same bracket as women who say "I find it really empowering to let my husband make all the decisions"

Mat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

jordanpattern wrote:
j-dub wrote:
Kinney wrote:

No.

Truth.

For reals. I'm scared we're going to go back to 2008 with all the conservative feminist talk that came up. If I read another article about "Sarah Palin feminism" that says that you can take rights away from 50% of the population and still be considered pro-women, I'll gorge my eyes out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:12 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I honestly think there's a cognitive dissonance. You know, maybe these women think that Woman should get equal pay and be President and profit. But the moment She's pregnant, their sympathies go to the child-to-be. So, no, I don't think you can be feminist if you think that a woman's agency and control of her life and body are conditional. At the same time, I understand why they think they get to say that they're feminist, because they believe in things like contraception and equal pay.

And also, to be hella cynical, I think some people have gotten pretty good at appropriating social justice language and using it to attack social justice causes/issues.

It's funny, because I grew up* thinking abortion was wrong and sad, but that it was also a necessity because if it didn't exist, desperate women would be killing themselves with coat hangers. Now, it seems like no one cares about the coat hanger thing. It's like, "Abortion should be illegal, and if women die as a result, so be it." It's more embryo>woman.

But it's also becoming increasingly clear to me that half of the abortion issue isn't even about abortion. Abortion is just the best way to frame it, because people like babies. If it were really about abortion, no one would have an issue with contraception or comprehensive sex education, and there would be more focus on putting things into place to make parenthood easier (like, say, paid leave for all parents and other programs designed to support mothers and children). But it's very clearly a movement about Putting Women Back Where They Belong, which is Under Men.

*Not my current opinion, mkay?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:35 pm 

DangerZone wrote:
Abortion is just the best way to frame it, because people like babies.

As long as they don't have to take care of/support them. It's an easy out without any responsibility on them. It's a disconnect of "babies are cute" and "being pregnant can be rough, even dangerous". This burden is placed almost entirely on the woman during pregnancy, but the woman is forgotten.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Random jerk offs on my Facebook feed. Defending rape jokes, jumping on my case for commenting public figures who speak out against sexism, friends who don't see what's wrong with police publishing peeping tom photos take of women in their bedrooms.

And everyone asking me why I bother or don't get so upset while all this crazy shiitake goes on and those liberal nice folks sit quietly by and say nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:18 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

DangerZone wrote:
It's funny, because I grew up* thinking abortion was wrong and sad, but that it was also a necessity because if it didn't exist, desperate women would be killing themselves with coat hangers. Now, it seems like no one cares about the coat hanger thing. It's like, "Abortion should be illegal, and if women die as a result, so be it." It's more embryo>woman.

But it's also becoming increasingly clear to me that half of the abortion issue isn't even about abortion. Abortion is just the best way to frame it, because people like babies. If it were really about abortion, no one would have an issue with contraception or comprehensive sex education, and there would be more focus on putting things into place to make parenthood easier (like, say, paid leave for all parents and other programs designed to support mothers and children). But it's very clearly a movement about Putting Women Back Where They Belong, which is Under Men.

I think it's strange how someone who thinks abortion should remain legal is "pro-abortion" to "pro-life" advocates. I mean, it's not like pro-choice advocates are out there in the Wal-Mart parking lot trying to convince pregnant women to abort. I totally agree with the idea that no matter what pro-life advocates claim, if they were really anti-abortion, they would be pro-contraceptives and pro-reform when it comes to things like affordable childcare and paid leave. I would much rather women have access to reliable and affordable birth control methods so that abortions would not be as common. I also think it's rather sad when some women have numerous abortions rather than using contraceptives in the first place (some of which could be helped by making affordable birth control more widely available although some people just aren't thinking ahead), as I've seen some women on TV talking about having had two or more abortions because "I didn't want to have my boyfriend's baby because he's a loser." Of course there are also medical reasons to need an abortion and some court rulings (such as a rapist "dad" having equal rights to the child of the rape victim because he's the biological father) make abortion one of the only options for women to avoid further pain. So I'm for abortion staying legal, but I'm not "pro-abortion," but pro-choice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 165  Next